Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Electric Stampede

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 05:57 PM
electro-streak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Stampede

I just recently purchased an electric stampede and was wondering what the best way to sup it up would be . I like it to go fast and hit jumps
Old 11-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Electric Stampede

put in a good esc(rooster) and a low turn motor(6-10). It will be fast
Old 11-15-2003, 09:15 PM
teamsquirreltail

Hmm...Dont put in a Rooster if your going to go that low, and you shouldnt go that low. The rule on a modified motor is that the pinion is to be 2 teeth less then the turn of the motor, right? Well, they dont make a pinion gear low enough for that application. The lowest turn motor you should go is 14 to 15 turns. Personally, the Pede is better with a 17 turn and up. I would go with the Trinity Speed Gems Sapphire 17x1 motor if you want a torque, or the Speed Gems 17x2 turn motor if you want a little more top end. The Rooster is a very good electronic speed control for the Stampede. Works awesome with the Sapphire motor.

If you are going to be doing jumping, get an aluminum idler gear and a slipper clutch. It wouldnt hurt to get some steel output yokes as well. This will strengthen the drivetrain to take the abuse of jumping.

The first non electronic hopups are ball bearings and the RPM front bumper. In order to get the 5x11 bearings, get the RPM 5x11 ball bearing carriers. Do not cheese out and get the 5x8 ball bearings. They arent nearly as durable as the larger 5x11's. I swear by Duratrax 5x11 ball bearings. They are so smooth and reasonably priced. Ball bearings will lengthen your runtimes, give you more top end and acceleration, plus extend the life of some components due to less friction.

If you really are going to get big air..pick up some Traxxas Aluminum Big Bore shock caps. The plastic ones will come right off on a hard landing. When you get enough money, buy some new shocks. I always liked the Associated Gold Team shocks, or the Hotbodies Tmaxx shocks.

Good luck man!!

+Brett+
Old 11-15-2003, 09:32 PM
CADtech
My Feedback: (12)

Check out [link=http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/es-pit-lane.asp]Misbehavin's site[/link] for all the info. you could need on the Stampede.
Also see the Traxxas.com message board, Electric Stampede forum.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Isphius

That rule doesnt apply to all vehicles for all instances. A higher wind wont give you more top end, it will soften the motor up if your having problems with wheel spin. As you long as you run the 10 cells its capable of, any turn motor will have torque to move the truck. Remember lower wind = more rpm, more cells = more torque. You just use the pinion to fine tune the trucks operating range. The stock gearing should be fine with a 9 or 10 turn motor. My black foot has fixed gearing, and a 9 turn running on 8 cells has insane torque and top speed. The stampede is a pretty similar rig.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:20 PM
teamsquirreltail

Hmm, you are talking BRUSHED motors, right Iphius? A Rooster will not take 10 cells, nor will many brushed motors. The wire wrapping will melt. I killed a P2K2 Pro on 8 cells, and it wasnt even getting hot to the touch. Did a high speed run and she locked up. I suggest you go take a look at ANY site that has ANY information on the Stampede. It will work better then me trying to tell you what is right from wrong.

How long do you expect that poor motor to last? Hmm extreme overgear issues = hot.... Extreme overgear issue plus high cell count = disaster. You cannot run a 9 turn motor with the stock 18 tooth pinion and 87 tooth spur gear. Your motor will be so hot. Go check some places and get your facts straight man
Old 11-15-2003, 10:49 PM
teamsquirreltail

Here since I'm such a nice guy, I will help you out. [link=http://www.teamrcv.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=listarticles&secid=3]Big Jims RC Motor Blackbook[/link] Go there and have a little study session, its on me

Also, here is a direct copy/paste from the RCMT Stampede FAQ for the Stampede..
" The stock Stampede uses a 20turn modified geared at 18/87(48 pitch, see #25 below). This combination
offers a good balance of speed, torque and run-times. In gearing a new Modified motor, I've found it is a simple starting point to gear two-teeth lower than the number of turns of the motor (see part 1) for the pinion, while using the stock 87 tooth or a 90 tooth Spur gear. For example, when using a 16x3 modified I would try gearing 14/90 for starters. If the motor is very cool after running through a full battery, you can put on a larger pinion or smaller spur, in increments of 1-3 teeth per run. It is far better to have a cool-running motor than a hot one, as the hot motor will have a shorter lifespan and drain the battery faster. Stock motors do not apply to the 2 tooth rule, instead just drop 1 pinion tooth for speed (17), and 2 (16) for torque."
Old 11-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Isphius

yes i am talking about brushed motors. I meant to say super rooster, sorry about that. I probably dont burn anything up because im not driveing at full throttle much, and i have a motor heatsink and my esc in a pretty good airstream. I dont see how the wires melted, mine usually dont even get warm. the connectors will melt though, there made of cheap metal and have a small contact area. Deans plugs work well. I also managed to run 12 cells and a 9x3 motor through a duratrax 16t esc with no heatsink in my bolink drag car, for single runs.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:59 PM
teamsquirreltail

By wires, I meant the winding around the armature. You know, the part that spins? I dont have any more electric rc cars, but when I had my 5 Pedes and 1 Rustler, I ran Powerpoles. OOH you meant Super Chicken, that will handle the 9 turn then. Next run, go check how hot your motor is. Touch the can of the motor, not the heatsink. Dont bother telling us your results because chances are they will be biased, and I already know what they will be..

..just make sure the ice pack is in the freezer..
Old 11-16-2003, 12:11 AM
electro-streak

awsome thanks for your help guys, i think i am going to try a 12 turn motor just because i have a friend with a speed control and motor for cheap, should make it move eh?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:49 AM
dioncuda

Here is my stampede.These trucks are tough as hell.I have had this one for 6 years,i have broke every part at least once. I also like the way they jump,makes you look better than you are.Hope you like yours!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26716.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	75034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87678.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	75035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53511.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	75036  
Old 11-16-2003, 10:36 AM
teamsquirreltail

ORIGINAL: electro-streak

awsome thanks for your help guys, i think i am going to try a 12 turn motor just because i have a friend with a speed control and motor for cheap, should make it move eh?
Shakes head. Did you bother reading anything I posted. You are going to burn it up. I bet the endbell melts right off. Yes, I have seen that happen before. My friend Jay put a 7x1 turn motor in his Stampede, and it flew. He only ran it for 2 jumps because he didnt want to wreck the motor (it was way overgeared, and you could hear your spit sizzle if you put it on the can). Anyways, its not my motor, I should just butt out huh? Good luck. It will be fast for the couple batteries the brushes and commutator last.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:21 PM
electro-streak

ORIGINAL: teamsquirreltail

Shakes head. Did you bother reading anything I posted. You are going to burn it up. I bet the endbell melts right off. Yes, I have seen that happen before. My friend Jay put a 7x1 turn motor in his Stampede, and it flew. He only ran it for 2 jumps because he didnt want to wreck the motor (it was way overgeared, and you could hear your spit sizzle if you put it on the can). Anyways, its not my motor, I should just butt out huh? Good luck. It will be fast for the couple batteries the brushes and commutator last.

Actually, I did bother reading what you posted, and that is why I am changinging the pinion gear to a much smaller size, and my motor is not a 7 turn like your friend jay but a 12 turn if you read what i wrote. I have researched this and is seems that this will be okay as long as i gear it right. I am also not a complete idiot so as to just run the mtor full out and see if i kill it, in misbehavin'RC's site it explains how to check for proper gearing.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:42 PM
**MilkMachine**

Well I would go with the Speed Gems 13T KOBAL motor.
And get a Duratrax STREAK ESC!!!!
Go for the gold!
hehehe
Old 11-16-2003, 03:07 PM
electro-streak

so I put in a TRI SONIC 'I' REEDY 12 TURN and an Msonik 3 ESC and it really moves the stampede, I played around with the sizes of pinion gears and found that the 13 tooth gear gives me awsome performance and the motor does not get at all hot, I am in calgary and the temp here is around 4 C. the only thing I dont like about this setup is that i have no reverse but thats not too bad in my area.
[>:]
Old 11-16-2003, 07:37 PM
electro-streak

i ran a bunch of packs of today and raced a friend with a stock t-maxx and i had him all the way through to the top.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:01 PM
teamsquirreltail

Should be running around an 11 tooth pinion, but ya can compensate by running smaller tires. Just wait until it gets summer time.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:14 PM
electro-streak

an 11 tooth would probably be better in the summer, unfortunaly for me it wont be for a while. But i am dead serious, I ran the crap out of my pede with a 6 cell 3300 and it wasn't even warm. So going by that i should be able to even move up a tooth or 2. I think tomarrow I will try a 15 tooth pinion.[>:]
Old 11-17-2003, 08:12 AM
Clod
My Feedback: (-1)

don't put a high power motor in your stampede i put a 6 turn in mine with the lowest possible gear ratio oh god it was quick but if you put full power on from standstill expect to rip your body appart it will flip right over and your tires to wear very very quickly
U HAVE BEEN WARNED
oh and the gearbox melted!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:57 AM
teamsquirreltail

Melted? I told you the heat built up from overgearing is detrimental to your vehicle. Not only will the motor suffer, but the output yokes, stub axles, differential gear..
Old 11-17-2003, 12:22 PM
electro-streak

[:'(]you guys are boring, dont you like to have fun. And maybe you are not listening. MY motor is NOT a 6 turn it IS A 12 TURN. ANd maybe if you guys do a little research on the pede at just about any site( eg. misbihavin) you will find out that a 12 turn is about as low as you should go but is is OK. as far as parts breaking parts, just an excuse to get better ones. I agree that i may go through tires a little quicker. Oh and for T-3, why would i want to give it full trottle from a standing start?, that would be stupid and thats nots how to drive.

Anyways i thought that when driving these RC's the whole point was to drive faster and jump farther, but I guess thats just me[sm=tired.gif]
Old 11-17-2003, 09:13 PM
teamsquirreltail

Hey, I have "researched" the Stampede...for about 6 going on 7 years now! I've had everything from a Stampede set up for onroad oval racing to a Radical Chassis Midwest (research this) steel tube Pede with Clodbuster tires. it was large enough to run a Maxx body. If you want to "research" a Stampede, go talk to Thorbob. Not to mention all the other Pedes I've had. Hmm, we got the $20 Pede I bought at the races for an old school project, my original Pede which didnt look like a Pede anymore, the Pede I bought to make the ultimate jumper, my Tuber Pede, the Rustler I turned into a Stampede racer, the oval Pede... So, I've done my research..Time you do yours

Who ever said you had a 6 turn? I never did.. If you looked in more places then just one, you will find many people agree that the lowest turn motor that should be placed in a Pede for bashing is around 14 turns. I had a 13 turn Speed Gems 2 motor in my Stampede and I had to be careful not to over heat it, even though I had it geared 13/90 on 6 cells.

So, check out these sites for more Stampede "research"
www.rcmt.net
www.rcjimsplace.com
www.maxxtraxxusa.com

Mod's, if we're not allowed to post links to other sites, PM me or just delete the links! Thanks!!

Here, just thought I'd post 3 of my favorite. (Yes the Green bodied truck is a Stampede..and its next to another stock Stampede for reference.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39678.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	75475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94885.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	75476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38362.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	75477  
Old 11-17-2003, 11:10 PM
electro-streak

whoa there buddy, your a little intense about the whole RC thing hey![&:].

Just so you know I have "researched" this in more than one place. Thanks for your thoughts, I will keep them in mind. But I am happy with the way my pede is running. I don't even know how many packs i have ran through yet (probably 15-20 on the new motor) but the motor has not heated up to a hot temp yet, and the brushes are in good cond.

I suggest you go take a look at ANY site that has ANY information on the Stampede. It will work better then me trying to tell you what is right from wrong.
That is the only opinion of yours i am going to follow. thanx
Old 11-18-2003, 01:58 PM
teamsquirreltail

I just want to help a fellow out. Knowing that if you are doing something that will harm your equipment, I try to help you. Whatever, you will learn soon enough I guess. Oh yeah I am intense about it!! Its a way of life ya know?