Bush Wacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8th scale for beginers

I'm looking for a 1/8 scale monster truck for under $350 what should i look for
Old 12-12-2003, 06:35 PM
MitchT/Emaxx1989

Default RE: 1/8th scale for beginers

for 350? well u could jump the price 50 and get something really really good that wont break alot. but for a 1/8 scale mt i would go for a savage 21 359.00 at http://www.stormerhobbies.com/ thats not including shipping i dont think and i believe you will need a few other things to run it. it should say what u need on the site. good luck.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:24 PM
SMaxxnit

Hey, Money was my main governing factor too. But i LIKE MY sportmaxx 299.99 from www.hobbytron.com. A lot of folks may not agreee with my decision to go 2 wheel drive but I like my power to weight ratio and with a two speed tranny installed its a screamer. Though the take off isn't as good as some 4WD MT's. I also don't have as many parts to worry about not having 4WD ($$).

Al Rock

SPORT MAXXXNIT!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Bush Wacker

I agree the sportmaxx is a pretty nice truck thanks for the advice.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Nitro7-inactive

thunderquake maybe...300 at towerhobbies.com i think you get 20 off right now its one of the largest 1/8th MTs 21" long almost 18" wide2 speed with reverse
Old 12-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Bush Wacker

Which truck would be the best bang for my buck, the nitroquake, thunderquake, sportmaxx, or the savage 21.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Dr. Krass

If your gonna get a savage, you should get the SS kit, it mocks the old savage and it's cool cause you get to put it together. Also it's only $339 as opposed to $425 for the RTR version of the new savage.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Bush Wacker

Im kinda on a tight buget, but i want something strong that can take a beating and has a fair amount of power what about the nitroquake? Please help
Old 12-12-2003, 11:06 PM
SMaxxnit

I hate to even toss my own truck out of this decision but I think your choice is between the Savage and the Thunderquake. I've heard tons of good things about the Savage. I can vouch for the suspension system, it really handles well. I just don't know enough about the Thunderquake to offer an opinion on it. I can say though that it has a .21 like the Savage, 2 speed tranny like the Savage, it has reverse which the Savage doesn't have. According to a review I read they both run 31 mph stock. ( I know my brother's Savage is way faster than that. With the mods he made he keeps up with me, I run approx. 45+ mph with my SportMaxx) The Savage also has one of the best if not the best Stock suspension system available on a MT.

I'm not sure what prices you are getting, it seems like everyone has a deal/sale going on around this time. The prices i've seen on this site haven't been all that bad.

If this helps you out. The 2 speed for my SportMaxx was like 30 bucks. Total 330.

Anything you can get for 350 with 4wd I think would be better deal.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:12 PM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

they offer the 2 speed for the sport maxx free now.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:14 PM
Bush Wacker

The nitroquake is selling for the mid 200s and its 4w w/a .21 engine but selling a truck like that for that kind of money youd think theres a defect or something.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:28 PM
SMaxxnit

(Free 2 speed) They always come out with something right after you purchase I guess.

That price does lead you to second guess choosing it. I personally would not choose it. Not because of anything that I heard. But just because of the fear of having to work on it more than I would be driving it. I guess the SportMaxx is next on the list if you're going by price.

I can't say that I have any problems with that decision. Even though this is way extreme and a little crazy. The speed limit in front of my apartment is 35. I love the look on the kids faces when I catch up to or come blowing passed their car.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Nitro7-inactive

it has been out for awhile and the thunder quake is the newer version the nitro quake is 1 speed w/o reverse do you really want 1/8th??? duratrax is the only company i can think of with a 1/8th for under 350 the savage ss needs a radio so it wont be 340 it will be more like 420 or more
Old 12-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Bush Wacker

Smaxxnit, how much does your sportmaxx deliver torque wise because i read somewere that there only pullin .68 horses. Same with the T-maxx.

I guess your right about not needing a 1/8, i just need something that has power and can take a beating.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:46 PM
SMaxxnit

That's a good question. I really don't know the aswer to that one. I would guess that I'm putting out the same Torque as the T-Maxx. The key thing that makes the difference here is that the Sport has less rotational mass. Therefore its acceleration is quicker than the T-Maxx. Without the 2 speed the Sport has no chance to out run that T-Maxx.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:01 AM
SMaxxnit

Just to confirm what you're probably already thinking/know. Yes, the Nitro Quake is going to give you more torque output than the SportMaxx, it has a larger engine. I'm pretty sure you'll be installing a 2 speed in it once you drive it few times and get the feel of it. That is, if thats the one you choose.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Bush Wacker

Its cheaper than the Sportmax, but the tires are so big that the steering servo isnt strong enough. Does the Sportmaxx have any problems like that?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:16 AM
SMaxxnit

Not at all. I haven't had any problems with it. The servo the steering servo they install on the T-maxx and SportMx work pretty well while moving. They don't turn the wheels much when sitting still but when will you need to do that? The servo is definitely strong enough though. It doesn't have to work as hard as a Truck with 4WD either. I can not think of a problem that I've had with my Sport yet. I've had it since August.

The tires don't come with inserts, but I was told that it doesn't need them. That has been my only concern.

I am also trying to increase my jump off the line right now. I don't seem to have the punch like my brother with the Savage has. His truck really has a great take off. The Sport is by no means a slow getter though. I can do wheelies at the twitch of a finger.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:22 AM
Bush Wacker

To get faster off the line throw some lower gears in it, it will decrese its top end but you will have more torque, and get off the line faster, thats what i would do.