GENESIS REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 05:17 PM
ThermalRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GENESIS REVIEW

ORIGINAL: tommyboy

RCnutz

18 lbs[X(] for a 1/8 scale truck sounds a little to heavy for stopping. Most 1/5 scale competition cars weigh about 25 to 28lbs. They are running hydraulic brakes to stop them. Maybe that is the solution is getting an FG brake setup and seeing if you could get it to work.

Dan
Something just doesnt seem right. I know the truck is heavy, but nobody can get the thing to shift twice, so its going pretty slow, and staying in second gear. These 4 disc brakes should have plenty of stopping power. Am i missing something? Maybe the linkage is bad, or an extremely weak servo is being used.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Webgamer

RCNutz,

I have no doubts about your experiences in this hobby. You have probably found ways to improve on the standard methods that already exist to fully enjoy this hobby. My point is if CEN talks BIG about their truck on their site, then it shouldn't be hard to get your truck and prove to us ALL that their claims are true. Although I am greatful for the reviews you posted, I'm disappointed to see the results of your testing and after reading your post to say that you are going to buy this and that and build your own hop-ups just to have fun with this truck means this is NOT really a READY TO ROCK truck. Hey, maybe you can show us videos on how to store this truck back in the box or in the shelf. That might be useful for us who might get the same unit.

I know others would say it may just be one of those bad trucks but now I'm thinking what if others get the same bad unit? So this is it?!? This is what I'm waiting for for the past few months and WILL continue to wait for? This is what I was getting excited about to get back to the RC hobby after 10 years???. [:@] Man, for this price I should have bought an RC plane instead. I would have been enjoying right now flying my plane during this long sunny weekend.
Or, at this price I would have gotten a new graphics card for my PC or a nice set of surround speakers.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:57 PM
tommyboy

RCnutz

I have just a dumb question on where the third gear is. I assume it is in the transmission but I have never seen one of these little alone a car with a three-speed tranny. I assume it is also works similar to the 1st-2nd gear setup(centrifical). I would pop it apart and take a look to see if when assembled it was done correctly. I have never owned and RTR kit but i've heard good and bad things about them. Maybe the assembler put some loctite in the wrong place or forgot a spring. I work with highend electronics and I even see it happen there. Just a brain fade or distaction and something looks like it works until the customer turns it on and the next thing you know the president of the company is in your office asking you what happened. I understand that you are one of the first people to get one of these trucks on this site and trust me everyone is learning allot from your experince. Trust me nothing ever works perfectly the first time. Just be patient and it will work.

Also I just looked at that picture of the truck and saw the brake setup. It looks like there is alot of braking surface there to stop this truck, my only concern is with there location relaitive to the exhaust exit. It looks like they use a fiber/metal braking setup and if any oil from the exhaust got on the rotor at all it wouldn't stop worth a cr@p. Maybe that is what you smelt burning, oil on the brakes. Just get some iso alcohol and clean them.

I hope this helps and just be thankful you didn't buy and ArticCat FireCat two years ago. Now those things had problems and cost around $10K
Dan
Old 07-04-2004, 02:43 AM
RCnutz

I just got home from 250 miles away and I'm wasted but check this out!

In the picture is the throttle/brake servo that I took out of the Genesis. Check out the part number on my servo and the one in the manual. By the way! The servo in the picture is ALL PLASTIC GEARS.
Cen installed the wrong servo or what? lol READY TO RETURN!

pillows are calling my name

oh someone was asking about the gears. The shifting is done when the clutch engages at a certain rpm. There is one clutch in the tranny for the 3rd gear and one inside the external gear. Each clutch has 2 different screws that have to be adjusted. ( a pain!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78642.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	150055  
Old 07-04-2004, 03:08 AM
eternaldragon

they should just use the steering servo for the throttle/brakes it's almost the same thing anyway just more torque that doesn't make cents to me to use a servo with half the torque for the brakes the more torque you have for the brakes the bettor i think at least for a 18lbs monster.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:45 AM
bustergonad

Hey RC,
I would definitely call CEN about the servo's. That is one of their big claims that it has all metal gear servo's. All this info is great, when I eventually get mine I'll go through the entire truck to make sure everything is as it should be.

Buster
Old 07-04-2004, 08:00 AM
conrodnz

hi this is khan,i thank you and everybody else who took the time to reply to me.
ive had a few emails saying trucks out this month,but i have a feeling that its not true.
but if it does come out ill surely let all you wonderful people know.
once again thank you
Old 07-04-2004, 09:07 AM
StatikG35

Hey RCnutz,

Thanks for flaming my original post! (which was only a personal observation...are those allowed on this board?) Now that your Genesis will be sitting on a shelf, don't you wish it had a nicer body? Enjoy bro.

ORIGINAL: RCnutz

Overall... the 530 bucks wasn't really worth the trouble! My Genesis wil be cleaned and retired to the shelf.

Later dudes
Old 07-04-2004, 10:54 AM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks alot for the real world, real people review rcnuts. Iam sure that the mags will give this thing a problems free review but we the real world people know whats really going on. $530.00 worth of ready to rebuild CEN should be ashamed of them self. They have lost me as a customer what about the rest of you guy's has CEN lost you as a customer???[sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 07-04-2004, 10:55 AM
brandonking

LOL, wish I was wasted too at the moment. Maybe it would pass the waiting time for getting my genesis a lot faster. RCNUTZ, you should unscrew the four screws on the bottom of the servo real quick while it's out and see if the servos are really "ALL METAL" gears as CEN claims. Please save me the time while yours is just sitting there. Thanks man!! I'm with you on that one ALUMINUMcrusher, they've lost me too, I'll never buy another thing CEN even touches or has anything to do with. Sorry guys, but you did it to yourselves.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:52 AM
fiddybucks

ORIGINAL: RCnutz

I just got home from 250 miles away and I'm wasted but check this out!

wow even wasted you are still updating us...you da man!
Old 07-04-2004, 12:58 PM
T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

why does everybody keep saying it's 18lbs? CEN themselves say so on there website that it weighs 17lbs.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:02 PM
ThermalRD

ORIGINAL: T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

why does everybody keep saying it's 18lbs? CEN themselves say so on there website that it weighs 17lbs.
I believe both Kerry, and CEN have weighed the trucks in at just over 17 1/2 lbs. Its not like they said it was 25 lbs. They only said 18. Right now i think the weight is probably the last thing on any of the owners minds.

Matt
Old 07-04-2004, 01:28 PM

I'm not trying to say that the problems these people are having with it are there faults, but I just came back from the track and saw a guy driving a genesis that was full broken in and all I can say is this truck has some MAJOR potential, the power is crazy. and the guy said he has had no problems during breakin or now at all. his only complaint was the large turning radius which i think could be attributed to the cheap doulble AA's he was using. this guy was beating the crap out of just driving crazy and he landed it horrible tumbled it landed backwards side ways and he never broke anything. it's really durable ass hell. I say to the people who got discouraged about buying it because of the reviews on here, to not give up on it. I mean I finally saw some one bashing the hell out of it and this truck is definitley the bashing king and is pretty good and the track also.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:50 PM
ThermalRD

ORIGINAL: T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

I mean I finally saw some one bashing the hell out of it and this truck is definitley the bashing king and is pretty good and the track also.
Oh come on man. They release a small handful of these trucks, and now you claim its the "KING" of bashing. You've seen ONE truck doing good? Thats one good review we have, and now its the "KING" of bashing. Spoken like a true CEN fanatic.

Matt
Old 07-04-2004, 02:20 PM
crzy-svg-usr

hmm i think hes a cen fanatic [:'(][:'(]
Old 07-04-2004, 04:21 PM

MAN, WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH YOU AND THIS CEN FANATIC BULL*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? FOR THE LAST DAMN TIME I MAY SOUND BIASED AND ONLY TOWARDS CEN BUT I AM NOT A CEN FAN!!!!!! I THOUGHT WE HAD THIS CRAP SETTLED THERMAL BUT, NO HERE YOU COME AGAIN WITH YOUR DUMB***** REMARKS OF YOURS. I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH YOU LIKING THE LST, SO WHAT'S UP YOU AND THE GENESIS? IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS TRUCK SO MUCH THEN WHY DO KEEP POSTING ON THIS TREAD?? I COME BACK FROM THE TRACK BECAUSE I SAW A GUY DRIVING IT, AND JUST BECAUSE I SAY IT'S THE ''BASHING KING'' I GET CALLED A CEN FANATIC!!!!??!!!?! I GO BY WHAT I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES NOT BY WHAT I READ ON THESE GENESIS THREADS, BUT ALL RIGHT MAN BELEIVE WHAT YOU WANNA BELEIVE, IF WANT TO BELEIVE THE GENESIS IS A PICE OF SH1T AND THAT I AM A ''CEN FANATIC'' THEN WHATEVER I DON'T CARE, BUT I CAN'T GET BY THE FACT YOU SEEM LIKE YOU DON'T LIKE THE GENESIS IF YOU'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN ONE IN REAL LIFE YOUR JUST GOING BY BY A COUPLE OF REVIEWS YOU READ.

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Oh come on man. They release a small handful of these trucks, and now you claim its the "KING" of bashing. You've seen ONE truck doing good? Thats one good review we have, and now its the "KING" of bashing. Spoken like a true CEN fanatic.

Matt
Old 07-04-2004, 04:59 PM
RCnutz

Well... here's the picture of the all plastic gears.
The truck is not worth 530 bucks pal! Wanna know why? the reciever is fruit on all of them. It can't take the 6V + power from a hump pack so it twitches around. The transmission gets super hot after running the truck and the rear shaft gets also hotter than hell. That much heat means lots of friction! and it also mean a lot less life. The pull starter had no place on this truck for the money I paid and there is no 3rd gear. The gear is there it just won't work.
Now I just found out that the throttle/brake servo is a fruit also. The truck will never pull wheelies with the engine at a standard setting. To pull a wheelie you either have to hit a bump at the right time or you have to lean it a lot to where it gets hot and shuts off.As you notice I'm not saying that the suspension is bad or that the chassis is bad.. All I am saying is tha this truck is NOT what they make it to be on CEN's site. NOT worth the money.

T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2 Yes the truck runs, I ran mine too and from the distance it seems like a great truck...untill you get your hands on it. Just because it doesn't break from a few flips doesn't mean is the king basher. And like I said it does have potential but it needs some more improvement before it will be king basher.
Most people don't pay attention to details that matter and judge on appearance. Get your hands on this truck and run it yourself and then call it King of Bashing. Maybe you'll figure out it's more like Kind of return and repair right out of the box.

I think those who have the mind set on the Genesis should go ahead and get one so they can judge for themselves.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22356.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	150223  
Old 07-04-2004, 06:00 PM
ThermalRD

Tmaxx killer, did you see the way RCnutz just made his post? And he responded to your statements without the swearing and yelling. Take notes. You admit you are biased towards CEN, yet you get upset when i refer to you as a "FANATIC". I come to this thread to read up about a truck that im obviously interested in. In case you havent noticed, i pretty much hang out on MT forums. I really only like Monster Trucks. So they all kind of interest me. You come here and make a statement that the Genesis is the KING of bashers, and its only been out for what, a week? maybe two? So far all we have is bad reviews, and i dont see any outstanding service from CEN either. RCnutz, thanks for taking the time to point out the many ways you are disappointed with this truck. Im sure if the CEN CLAN had gotten their hands on one, they would be giving it EXCELLENT reviews regardless of how bad it is. Sorry maxxkiller, you are a fanatic. Oh, and you had mentioned how i talk about the LST alot. Yes, i certainly do. And if im not happy with it, you'll be the first to know. Why ya gotta swear at me all the time? Geeeez.....

Matt
Old 07-04-2004, 06:26 PM
brandonking

Hey guys, you see what RCNUTZ just found out about the servos? I think there's been a little bit of false advertisement, what do you think. Their website says "metal gear high torque servos". So what's up with the wal-mart servos in a $500+ ready to rock biggest baddest truck out there, so CEN makes it out to be. I suggest everyone checks this site out and say what they think. Let me know if I'm the only one who thinks CEN is a joke and is providing false information. http://www.consumer.state.ny.us/clah...%20Advertising Not 100% sure if it's the same everywhere, but I would think that it would be pretty much the same. It's not just the thing about the servos either, it's been a lot more than that. Thanks RCNUTZ for pulling the servo apart for us, thanks for your honest review.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:31 PM
bustergonad

RC,
Are you going to call CEN about the plastic gears in the servos, I would be really interested in what they say about that little nugget.
I know that I will be checking all the servos on my truck when I get it to makes sure they match model numbers with the ones in the owners manual.

Thanks for the review RC, it hasn't stopped me wanting my Genesis. I now know what to look for before I even try to start the truck.

Buster
Old 07-04-2004, 08:36 PM
eternaldragon

makes you wonder if the steering servo has plastic gears in stead of metal as well.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Cal-Torque

I was wondering the same thing... Like the stock Airtronics in the Titan; top gear is metal, guts are plastic...
If you have a few minutes RCnutz, let us know.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:56 AM
Webgamer

brittle spur gears, plastic servo gears..... sighh! CEN, any other surprises under the hood?

Where is CEN's CEO now, just what is going on? SPEAK UP! Don't tell us we are paying $500+ for wrong parts!!!!
Don't tell us this is got passed your Quality Assurance dept. or that your web site is wrong. This is too much "oooooppssss!!!"
If my truck doesn't arrive in 2 weeks, Im getting my money back. I will complain with my credit card company if vendor doesn't refund me in full.

NEXT TIME ANNOUNCE AVAILABILITY DATE, WHEN ALL HOBBY SHOPS OR ONLINE VENDORS HAVE THIS THING. NOT WHEN YOU ONLY SHIPPED A FEW CONTAINER LOADS!!!

Time to get an RC plane and REALLY have FUN.
and the countdown begins......TODAY!
Old 07-05-2004, 05:00 AM
eternaldragon

ORIGINAL: Webgamer

brittle spur gears, plastic servo gears..... sighh! CEN, any other surprises under the hood?

Where is CEN's CEO now, just what is going on? SPEAK UP! Don't tell us we are paying $500+ for wrong parts!!!!
Don't tell us this is got passed your Quality Assurance dept. or that your web site is wrong. This is too much "oooooppssss!!!"
If my truck doesn't arrive in 2 weeks, Im getting my money back. I will complain with my credit card company if vendor doesn't refund me in full.

NEXT TIME ANNOUNCE AVAILABILITY DATE, WHEN ALL HOBBY SHOPS OR ONLINE VENDORS HAVE THIS THING. NOT WHEN YOU ONLY SHIPPED A FEW CONTAINER LOADS!!!

Time to get an RC plane and REALLY have FUN.
and the countdown begins......TODAY!
same here i was told mid july so if its not here in mid july or shipping to me by then i'll get something els not sure yet but it well be either a different 1/8 truck from another company or another gas helicopter or just upgrade parts for my ttr eb-4 limited edition buggy and kyosho nexus 30.dont get me wrong i like the truck but it seems like cen just doesn't care what gos on with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.