RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Ez Start Vs Pull

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:43 AM
nbcaznmaster
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ez Start Vs Pull

I have a sirio. 18 on my nitro rustler. I bought it w/out a pull start, the orginal owner used a starter box. SHoudl i get a pullstart for it or a ez start. Starter boxes are to expensive.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:14 PM
wakbrdr

Default RE: Ez Start Vs Pull

i prefer pull start because
1) It sheds some weight
2) you dont have to haul around that ez-start controller and worry about the battery dieing
and it shouldn't take more than a few pulls to crank the truck anyways
Old 11-16-2004, 08:21 AM
neil.jb

if the engine has a blanking plate where the pull starter goes then you wont be able to fit one without some major modifications to the internals of the engine (ie a new pull start crank shaft if one is available)

plus you gain performance by losing the pull start/ez start as there is less rotating mass for the engine to move
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 AM
mr-rccrazy

I would recommend a pullstart over the ez start

EZ start should be more like "CHEEZy start" here is why:
1. Very heavy
2. Requires a charged 7.2v battery whenever you run your truck
3. inefficent and unreliable
4. really annoying to run, does not crank the engine as fast as I can run it with a pullstart or starterbox
5. i hate it, lol

I think a pullstart is the best all around compormise, or a shaft start system, *shaft start still has the same 7.2v battery annoyance,
well, some people like the cheesy start system, not to start any argument, but I really dislike it personally.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:05 AM
69 GTO

I would have to agree with whats been said and suggest a pull start. The EZ start system would be nice but they do have their problems that can be a bit frustrating when you get out somwhere to run and find that ethier your batt is dead, or the one way needs to be cleaned or somthing happens to the electric EZ start motor.

I honestly am not a huge fan of ethier of these methods as i use a starter box but totally understand not wanting to pay for a box&sealed batt for it so pull start will probably be the best hassle free of the two methods. Just dont keep pulling on the pull start when its flooded, you will break the cord and that can be a pain in itself....i admit i've done that a time or two
Old 11-17-2004, 08:07 AM
neil.jb

but none of you can grasp the concept that a non pull start engine cannot just be fitted with a pull start, the crank shaft will be different so you will have to buy a starter box
Old 11-17-2004, 08:46 AM
travis28379

U Guys are missing the point it DOES NOT have a EZ start System. Its is rigged up to crank with a starter box. He is asking should he buy a starter box or change it over to Pull start.

All you would need for pull start is the crank shaft and the pull start and the pull start "gear" or what ever u call it.

If i was you i would get a starter box. I actually have one thats kinda old but it still works would u be intrested in buying it for pretty cheap??

}{unter
Old 11-17-2004, 10:47 AM
elite
My Feedback: (2)

ok ....make this easy..

best method - starter box (also most expensive but eliminates any rotating mass associated with some starting methods)
Pullstart - cheapest, easiest, most convienent (20 bucks)
shaft start - requilres a battery and harder on oneway but easy to use and provides fast starts (under 50 bucks)
ez start - slower then shaft start, less reliable with all the wiring, dependant on battery and HEAVIER THEN ALL THE OTHERS!

I have a revo, I went with Pullstart. Some people give me a hard time....but honestly I like the pullstarter alot. I think as long as you dont abuse it, itll last a while. I learned quick, if its flodded losen the glow plug so you dont break the cord....but other then that its pretty simple. I just now on my 3rd plus gallon had a little oneway stick and thats probably normal...I cleaned it good, relubed and its good to go.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:21 PM
binaryterror

Pull starts suck when a truck flames out, luckily for elite and I his truck starts well, good tuning!

I used to be a pullstart fan, until I broke the $50 RB .28 pullstart...went to Starter box and loved it. Breaking in the new engine (XTM 24/7 Pro) I stuck with the pull start for now, but I do plan to go back to the box once break in is finished and I get time to re-align the pins and such.

BACK ON TOPIC
The original poster said "I bought it w/out a pull start, the orginal owner used a starter box". That means his only option is a starter box. Unless you want to buy a different crankshaft, one way, backplate, you can't use the Roto-Start, pullstart, or ez-start.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
69 GTO

ORIGINAL: travis28379

U Guys are missing the point it DOES NOT have a EZ start System. Its is rigged up to crank with a starter box. He is asking should he buy a starter box or change it over to Pull start.

}{unter
No hes not asking if he should buy a pull start or starter box....he said he didnt have money to buy a starter box and asked about pull starts compared to EZ starts which i believe everyone is giving their opinions on. He didnt ask what needed to be changed to use each he only asked opinions on the two methods and thats what everyone is giving him
Old 11-17-2004, 02:28 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: maxxoverkill

No hes not asking if he should buy a pull start or starter box....he said he didnt have money to buy a starter box
If you can't buy a starter box for $100 set up, then you won't be able to use anything else either, as the Sirio .18 Crank is $80 plus the one way and backplate you are well over $100.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:54 PM
neil.jb

ORIGINAL: maxxoverkill

ORIGINAL: travis28379

}{unter
No hes not asking if he should buy a pull start or starter box....he said he didnt have money to buy a starter box and asked about pull starts compared to EZ starts which i believe everyone is giving their opinions on. He didnt ask what needed to be changed to use each he only asked opinions on the two methods and thats what everyone is giving him

ORIGINAL: nbcaznmaster

I have a sirio. 18 on my nitro rustler. I bought it w/out a pull start, the orginal owner used a starter box. SHoudl i get a pullstart for it or a ez start . Starter boxes are to expensive.
i think you will find he was asking if he should buy a pull start/ez start for his sirio .18