Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

I am breaking in my savage...but...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

I am breaking in my savage...but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Salty0790

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am breaking in my savage...but...

sorry for posting so much in the last couple days. i am in need of help often. right now its a very hot 53 degrees out and close to 60 on my closed porch. my savage is sitting on the porch right now. as soon as i got home i took the truck (the cylinder head was very warm) and put it on a box outside my door. i made sure it was primed good. i tried starting it once, it didnt. i tried again and it turned over. i ran for about 8 seconds until it died. i tried again (turning the trim for the carb up a little so it would get more gas) and it turned over again. after it started it revved up high (because i set the trim that way). startled by the sudden noise, i turned the trim down a little. it revved down a bit and sat and idled with the wheels spinning. then it died. this happened several times before my roto ran out of juice. i am charging it right now. every time it revved up, i turned the trim down a little. and it dies. should i let it rev up? for a couple seconds? or is there something wrong? thanks.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Tnx_4_life

Default RE: I am breaking in my savage...but...

well im not sure but maybe the idle screw is set wrong. it might not rev high enough to not stall. im not sure on tis just guessing. did u try a new glowplug?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Salty0790

why would a new glow plug help? just wondering.

it cant be the idle screw. i didnt touch it the entire time i had it. it has to be something else. or is it just being stubborn?

when i think about it, it cant be the ilde screw. when it idles, its a low "errrrr"ing sound. and the wheels are moving REALLY REALLY slow. like barely moving. but when it revvs up, the wheels start to move really fast. any ajustments that you think might work, will help. keep the posts coming.

P.S. SORRY for being such a pest to all you guys over the past couple days. i am a COMPLETE newb at this. i know what im doing, but when something happens, i dont know what to do. i really appreciate all your patience and help.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Tnx_4_life

its ok bro we like to help right guys?

well when breaking in the glowplug might "go bad' becoz the car is running rich. and just another point, a glowplug is cheap, why not try it? im not sure on the rich thingy. im just emptying my thoughts on here.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Salty0790

well, i tested my glow plug and it works fine. plus, i dont have another glow plug. my cat pawed it off my shelf and into my soda can. i tested it, but no luck. . i mean, there cant be anything wrong with it in that sense, from what i can tell. it seems like the fuel isnt getting to the carb consistantly. i really dont know what it could be.

JUST A THOUGHT. i know a lot of people said that i was wrong, but could it be that the gas is old? i put it in the tank on sunday afternoon. i dont want to change the gas unless i know for sure that that is the problem. i HATE wasting gas. it costs a lot of money.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:27 PM
piccorevo

you could have the truck set way too lean cusing it to shut off as soon as throttle is applied
Old 03-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Salty0790

every single needle is set on factory settings for break-in. so, i dont think its running lean. but IF it is, which i will test tommorrow, how would richen it the slightest bit to see if it works?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:10 PM
thumpin15s

there is a big (most of them are black) screw. turn it counter-clockwise about 1/8th of a turn. It MAY be the idle though also. And another thing, it may be your linkage. If the linkage is off, it may be closing off the air to the carb too much.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Salty0790

the linkage is all the way on. i wouldnt be able to push it any further.

are you talking about the HSN? the big screw to the right of the filter?

again, i didnt touch the idle speed needle ever since i got it.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Tnx_4_life

most of the factory settings are good, but sometimes u ight get a truck on which they arent. take off the airfilter and ull see a little hole on the left. If that hole is too narrow its running 2 lean. the hole should be about 1- 2 mm. i think 2 mm is too rich, but thats on my TNX. check that out aswell.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

When I read your thrend, your problem sounds like your engine is loading up, is that the s-25, I have s-25 on my raptor and savage. is the engine die after giving a punch, if its then try to lean your low side 1/8 turn, thats the one on the side of your carbs. I adjusted mine as it also loads-up after I ilde it for a an estimate 5 second, some times what i do on a warming -up procedure i pinch the line time to time that goes to the carb when i feel its loading -up.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Om3ga
My Feedback: (7)

check the clutch springs.. sounds like the problem.. maybe it broke during that first High trim setting
Old 03-23-2005, 03:23 PM
rcblaze

This sounds like your idle is to low. Also adjust your idle on the engine not on the remote. It's the idle that needs to be a little higher if it's shutting off the way you describe. Don't mess with your needels to much for break in. Just get thru your break in tanks before you start adjusting.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:09 PM
bib

I would highly suggest putting all your needles back to factory settings, going out and picking up a new glow plug ( OS #8 are a great choice) and trying again. I had some trouble getting my HB Lightning Stadium's engine to idle and stay running. I changed the stock plug to an OS #8 and it fired right up.

Hope that helps good luck!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Salty0790

before i go out and buy a new plug, i am going to try ajusting the idle screw a little. if i turn the idle screw a little (which ever way it is to increase revving during idle) how much will it effect it? if i turn it 1/8 of a turn, how much will it increase? thanks.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:07 AM
Tnx_4_life

thats for you to see. every engine has its own ways. u just have to try. just turn it a little try makin it run, if it doesnt try again etc etc....trail and error [&:]