Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Collari .30

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 01:05 PM
yamaguchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collari .30

Trying to find any info on this eng. All I have found is where people started breaking it in but never said what it ran like. Also is there a replacement for the pullstart like a tiger drive or roto start for it? Does anybody know of a better pullstart for it?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:58 PM
PeteOz

Default RE: Collari .30

I do have one of these bad boys. It is a SH1T Hot engine. It tunes easily, stays running, and SCREAMS! I had some teething problems with it, but mostly due to my temp gauge giving me false readings. The pullstart..well that's another issue, it's complete CRAP! Mine is currently on the shelf and my Mach is back in the truck until such time as I can get a roto start. Two recent developments are this. Collari is not fitting the engines with a rotostart, but you cannot buy it separately, looks like those of us that bought straight away got screwed again ( The New Sirio .30 is the same block, and same roto start (it ships with this engice as well GGrrrrr!) but you can't get the roto from them as a separate item either (yet).
Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 PM
yamaguchi

I looked on the tiger drive's site and it says its under development for the Collari. What actually breaks on the pullstart? I heard they are like $50 for a new one!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:03 PM
2DMaxLST!!

The one I was helping a friend with the rope pulled out on the second break in tank and then to add insult to injury the spring broke during reassembly. Just like PeteOz it is sitting in a box and we are running the Mach till the tiger drive becomes availble.

Oh yeah, they wanted him to send the engine back for inspection and want $50 for a new pull start..................... and yes I have used pull starts on several different types of motors and never had the spring break.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:53 PM
PeteOz

being from Australia has it's advantages, but as for new products, it's mostly a bummer, as everyone else in the world seems to get new things long before they ship here. Sometimes that's not all bad. I had a chance to read from several people about the pullstart issues, so when I got my new motor I was VERY VERY careful with it. I still broke it before I had a dozen tanks through it..which seems to be a LONG life for the crappy pull start. The cord is what breaks. Once broken, I tried everything known to man to use for a new rope, including picture hanging wire. Nothin lasted more than 4-5 starts because this thing has SO much compression, and kicks back quite a bit when it fires. After the 10th or 11th take apart and resrtinging it, the spring broke. I rebent it and continued to use it with the patched up spring for a few more string replacements, but finally just got completely sick of taking it apart so I shelved it.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Mine has started on 1 pull for 80%+ of the time, and on the second for the rest...

My pullstarter looks like new; string and all. I don't know how many starts I've had, but I am around 1/2 gallon or more through the engine.

Thinking about it, my SH28 got pulled out of my truck at 3.5 gallons for the newer Collari, and lots of guys had problems with those pullstarts too. The original PS on my SH is still intact and very much working fine.

The odd thing is, I don't even like them, pullstarts that is. I just never bothered getting the XTM backplate to use the roto-start on an engine (the SH) that almost ALWAYS started on the first tug. The Collari has been the same.

Another thing is, after a tank, I ALWAYS let the engine cool to at least 110F and usually cooler than that. It's been my experience that even with a roto-start, hot engines are reluctant to say the least. My .27 would only restart from over 175F at full throttle, and the jump is dangerous when it fires.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 PM
yamaguchi

So, how does it perform compared to the sh? More low end or what?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: yamaguchi

So, how does it perform compared to the sh? More low end or what?
It's a good bit stronger on the bottom end AND it pulls a little higher as well... It starts almost as easy, and for me, tunes quite easily as well.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:07 PM
PeteOz

Mine usually starts on the first pull as well, and was a dream to run and to start...until I had quite a bit of fuel through it.

I had the air cleaner fall off in very dusty conditions, and the card seized from the grit. I killed it immediately. I took the carb off and flushed it thoroughly in turps and blew it clean with compressed air. I also thoroughly flushed the engine with turps , runniing it completely though the engine many times to remove as much grit as possible, the soaked the innards with after run oil. I am telling you this so you know that the pullstart rope was not only soaked with burnt fuel (from a leaky exhaust gasket) but also was soaked in turps once as well. This may have prematurely weakened the cord, although I did dry it with a rag and compressed air over the entire length of the exposed cord.

it seemed that once the cord broke the first time ( many, many starts after the soaking) it was rooted and when I retied knots in it, it just kept breaking. I would LOVE to find a place to buy new cord from... I have tried most options I can think of...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:52 PM
fmawyer

Guys got one the other day (collari 30) that has the new rotor start. Problem is I cant get a header to go on it cause it wont clear the rotor start . Any suggestions..............
Old 05-03-2005, 05:35 AM
PeteOz

ORIGINAL: fmawyer

Guys got one the other day (collari 30) that has the new rotor start. Problem is I cant get a header to go on it cause it wont clear the rotor start . Any suggestions..............
The pull start is VERY tight as well. I took the stock header to the bench grinder and took the shoulder completely off it on the bottom edge. It fits past the pull start now, and I use an RB gasket for the pipe that fits the manifold well enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31514.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	266333  
Old 05-03-2005, 08:30 AM
R/C Modelsport

You need this. But you could also grind away your existing header.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81401.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	266388  
Old 05-03-2005, 05:38 PM
lucky13savage

I have a Collari and i accidentally put too long a plug in and popped the string on the 2nd tug. Once i realized my screw up, i switched plugs and fixed the cord, but it had pulled a HUGE hole in the inside of the pull start... many many knots had to be tied in the string to fill that hole. It all went down hill from there. now the spring is all messed up, i'm using the string from my .21, and it won't recoil right. Also, it seems like air bubbles are being forced into my fuel line from the engine.... it seems like a great engine, i just can't keep it running long enough to finish the break in. i'm just venting... sorry. I just want to know where to get a new pull start and where to get that beautiful header..... thanks for the patience and help.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:58 PM
PeteOz

ORIGINAL: R/C Modelsport

You need this. But you could also grind away your existing header.
Isn't that header set up for rear exhaust? It goes 180 degree, back onto itself, while most MT exhaust goes out the side, needing basically a 90 Degree bend
Old 05-03-2005, 06:05 PM
PeteOz

ORIGINAL: lucky13savage

I have a Collari and i accidentally put too long a plug in and popped the string on the 2nd tug. Once i realized my screw up, i switched plugs and fixed the cord, but it had pulled a HUGE hole in the inside of the pull start... many many knots had to be tied in the string to fill that hole. It all went down hill from there. now the spring is all messed up, i'm using the string from my .21, and it won't recoil right. Also, it seems like air bubbles are being forced into my fuel line from the engine.... it seems like a great engine, i just can't keep it running long enough to finish the break in. i'm just venting... sorry. I just want to know where to get a new pull start and where to get that beautiful header..... thanks for the patience and help.
Lightning Hobbies has the pullstarts as a spearate item..but I doubt they are any better than the stock one..

[link=http://www.lightninghobby.com/viewitem.asp?idproduct=738582]COLLARI .30 PULLSTART[/link]

Good luck!