Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

GS SUT Durability

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 AM
BillyPratt75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS SUT Durability

I am thinking about getting one of these and was wondering about durability. I did a search, and most posts were very old. It seemed like the main problem areas were the a-arms, mostly lower, and the steering plate (or something close to that), and the shocks. Has any of this been updated and/or fixed? Are these common problems, or were there a few that had this? I am buying this because I want something different. (and I can get it cheap) I currently own a monster gt, but rather than dumping more money into it, I want to go with something else. I have looked at just about everything on the market, and I keep coming back to this truck. I realize it's been out for quite some time, and there are better trucks out there but I can pick this up for around 300.00 from a friend. (brand new in the box) Oh, and this is won't be raced. I know it's a racer, but it won't be used for any serious racing. It will just be at a friend's track and messin' around in the yard. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:13 AM
fhm101

Default RE: GS SUT Durability

If it's a pro about the only thing it needs is a decent set of grade 10.9 or 12.9 hardware and it's pretty much good to go. Some people double up on the steering link plate and I've done this on several I've built for other people, but on my SUT I never had any problem with it. It may have been because I ran mine without the wheel extenders and used Panther LP tires on Dominator wheels, but I don't know for sure since I never ran it any other way. I really liked my Pro SUT, but a friend wanted it really bad so I sold it to him. I've been looking at the new SUT CE, but I'm also waiting to see what the yet to be released Jammin, Sportwerks, and Kyosho truck look like before I make up my mind. The Hot Bodies LSP is a nice truck, but overall quality (to me) is iffy and parts are like hen's teeth. The MBX5 and the truck conversion are also very nice, but I'm reluctant to spend that much money on something that I know will be changing before racing season starts next year.
If you are just looking for a fun truck though, the GS Pro for $300 NIB would be hard to beat. If it's an RTR you will need to do a little beefing up, but it's just the addition of a few key pro parts like the hinge pin blocks, steering link if you are going to run big tires, and chassis/bulkhead braces. Other than that and some good fasteners, it should be fine.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:18 AM
BillyPratt75

Sounds good. Thanks a lot fhm101. It's just the RTR version, but I am putting my own radio equipment in it.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:33 PM
hybridstone

I HAD A SUT PRO AND IT WAS TOUGH!! VERY RELIABLE! I know that the rtr needs better screws the ones that hold the hinge pin braces on are alloy and break very easy. You will need steel screws and then doulble up the draglink and mabey as set of pro shock towers/ fill the diffs 30 000 centre 10 000 front and your done! Ad a ce extended chassis and a set of native racing arms and it will be a race machine
Old 07-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Haulin bass

Hybrid i just bought an SUT pro from the lowermainland was it yours at one time?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
hybridstone

Lol Yes that was mine! did ronny (jok3r) sell ya the parts car as well? just curious how much$
Old 07-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Haulin bass

I donmt know if I got the parts car as its still in transit(you know canada post)I payed him $250cdn for it tho.I got it off the RCZ site(Im thedarkness there) pretty much as soon as he posted it up.As soon as you said used to have an sut pro I figured it must have once been yours, Do you race with those guys (jok3r,flatline and wintermute) at camrc in coquitlum(sp?)
Old 07-30-2005, 01:07 PM
hybridstone

Once in a while We have a new track closer to home so I don't get out to coq mountain that much! $250 cnd is a deal!! that kit is like $550cnd as a roller no pipe ect.. I raced it like 3 times and sold it to ronny and he drove it 1 time and sold all the gear! good luck and make shure to build yourself a huge trophy case.