Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MT TECH ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:10 AM
*_Torque_*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT TECH ADVICE

ok i have finally 100% made up my mind of what i am going to do. i am going to build my MT from scratch, ordering every part separatelty.... so i got a question only for the serious MT tech that has atleast had a couple years of experience. First of all for the record dont worry about my experience or level just tell me straight up. 1) what will be the best chasis to use or build upon.. i want the most versitial(spell check) chasis that I can use. My goal is to make it at least as big as a savage or revo. Any ideas thoughts or comments please post.

*If u dont have something educated or of worth to this topic please refrain from saying them or hold them to yourself.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:31 AM
knifer

Default RE: MT TECH ADVICE

what about an lst chassis?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 AM
*_Torque_*

thats what i was thinking but.. i was also thinking the savage... but what one do u think will have more parts for... and im not buying every stock part... im buying what i want in it...so put that into consideration...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:59 AM
A.B.U

Why not buy a roller? And if you go Savage you "go" have a hard time putting it together!
Old 03-12-2006, 06:33 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest the MGT chassis - it is made from a single piece of extruded aluminium and, from what i have read is much stronger than either the Savage or LST chassis, both of which are made of several interconnected parts.

With the plastic mudguards installed you also get a lot of space "up top" to mount everything - electronics, engine, tranny fuel tanks (there is even enough room for a second fuel tank with very little modification)

The picture is of the aftermarket machined chassis - the stock piece has less millings.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2006, 08:05 AM
*_Torque_*

snow thanx that just opened a whole new door..but Another how is putting the Savae together going to be hard...it wont be much different than the others..
Old 03-12-2006, 08:32 AM
snowbl!nd

I think that using a TVP chassis design, such as that of the Savage would make things much more difficult for you. To my knowledge there are only two MT's out there which use this design - the Savage and Warhead. That limits the choices of trany and diffs, as the mounts will be completely different to those found on "regular" type MT's which do not use TVP's. And, as most Savage owners would agree, working on a TVP chassis is a nightmare as everything is wedged in there - the only way to get at anything is remove the TVP's.

Just something to think about - you don't want to make a custom build any harder than it has to be!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:34 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

TVP chassis suck. It is such a pain to work on it if something breaks.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:13 AM
*_Torque_*

yah i just read an article on that... so that option is out....the MGT chasis that is there is prob what im going to go with...but i also like the LST set up because of the way it is designed.. idk im going to keep up with my research and come to a conclusion...

btw thanx for all the feedback you guys are giving me i really appreciate it... its kind of nice when you got people helping w/ things..
Old 03-12-2006, 11:28 AM
A.B.U

Actually... working on the LST isnt that hard.. It only took me about an hour - 1.5 hours to do this:

Overall, it took about 6-7 hours to finish the whole thing.. :

But, the pipe/engine wasnt on it because I broke my chasis brace, so I had to wait a few days to get a new one.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:42 AM
*_Torque_*

nice..i like... u built that from scratch right?...i think thats what im wanting to do but i want my big soo im prob going to have to do a lil customizing.... neways i like it it looks nice. how tall is that one it looks low for a MT..or mayb cuz its blurry i cant tell, idk..
Old 03-12-2006, 11:46 AM
*_Torque_*

o yah and 1 more quik question... did u get all ur parts at LHS or did u buy them online..? because i was thinking Losi but at tower hobbies(basically where i buy everything) they dont have much on Team Losi...so could u help me out w/ some sites or links...thanx...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:03 PM
A.B.U

Lol.. no I bought it RTR. I just upgraded everything visually, and made it lighter. What Im saying though, is from the time that your tearing it down, to building it back up, only takes about 8 hours. And I buy my parts from both, online and @ my LHS. Most parts I buy either come from KillerHobbies, eBay, or my LHS..
Old 03-12-2006, 02:08 PM
*_Torque_*

o...yours isnt 4wd either and thats something im going to have so there is another addition that is going to complicate stuff.... i dk i just hope it comes out successful...
Old 03-12-2006, 03:16 PM
*_Torque_*

whats the difference in the LST and the LST 2? is there any difference in the chasis parts? because i can buy a LST 2 chasis complete for like 50$ but I can find a lot more LST hop ups but not LST 2 hop ups (or r they the same?) sorry new to Losi.... another quick question....do u guys think i could put the savage 3-speed tranny on an O.S. engine im going to have on this LST chasis...im finally collecting thoughts...thanx..
Old 03-12-2006, 04:43 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

You can put any tranny to any engine. The determining factor to what tranny you can fit where is going to be the chassis and where the outputs will be located. The problem I see with this project is whatever chassis you choose, your stuck to that trucks front and rear ends especially if you run with an MGT chassis because everything is connected as one peice and the a-arms and all that mount directly to that one chassis peice. If you are going to do something based on an already existing chassis your best bet would be to start with a roller and use that as the platform and call it what it is. If you want to build something from the ground up I would choose what diffs, tranny, front and rear ends and then have a custom chassis built around that stuff. Not to sound negative, but it will be almost impossible to mix somethings like a savage tranny with and LST chassis and so on.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
*_Torque_*

so its not possible to have the 3 speed tranny sav on the LST chasis? that was my question... so what would be the ideal matches? I've been trying to look for some possible substitutions but everything has a negative side in some way... and by roller do u mean a rolling chassis? any one know of chassis other than the savage that I can fit a 3speed tranny with also a lot extra space?...any ideas anyone?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:16 PM
A.B.U

ORIGINAL: *_Torque_*

o...yours isnt 4wd either and thats something im going to have so there is another addition that is going to complicate stuff.... i dk i just hope it comes out successful...
Uh.. yeah it is 4wd. Where did you read that LST1's werent? It's 4wd.. so is the LST2.. LST2 just has some updated parts. And mine.. has a buttload of parts. Dont believe me its 4wd? Take a look at this pic showing the front CVDs...

See the two silver CVDs? One goes to the front diff. the other goes to the Rear.

Also, no you can not stick any other type of tranny in an LST. Unless you seriously modify it. Its tranny (LST) is wider, instead of being taller.

Also, yes, the majority of the parts are the same, except the driveline, engine, chasis rails, arms, tranny box, pipe, shocks, tires, wheels, fuel tank, comes with a lot of accesories, different body, you get the point.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 PM
*_Torque_*

yah....i kno LST's are 4wd but i couldnt tell in your pictures because the motor was more to the back than most 4wd trucks...

Alright guys i came to some final, final conclusions.... LST chassis, OS engine, idk about the tranny yet but still working on that, and ..and there's the basis of what im aiming for..
Old 03-12-2006, 09:46 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

I'd go with a surefire .32 or a .28 Novarossi
Old 03-12-2006, 09:58 PM
A.B.U

Yeah.. stick with something .26 or higher. Top choices IMO would be:
Mach .28
LRP .28
Axial .28
Axial .32
Novarossi .28
RE SureFire .32
Collari .30
Collari .32
OS .30 VG
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 AM
*_Torque_*

yeah is was thinking the OS.30VG.... but i still what a good tranny and i can't find anything, do you guys know of any that can fit on the LST chassis..?o and last of all what would yall recomend for the drivetrain..?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:20 AM
A.B.U

The LST's tranny is all aluminum or steel, or somethin. It's top 'o the line.. smooth as a babies butt type tranny. Stick with it.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
*_Torque_*

ok i basically have everything except the drivertrain now...so thats it...any recommendations on any good drivetrain???... and from there i have everything else....
Old 03-13-2006, 03:45 PM
snowbl!nd

I think you're going to have to stick to the LST drivetrain... Trying to mod another drivetrain from another MT would be pointless when you have one that is a perfect fit to the chassis! I'd suggest you buy LST diffs and CVD's etc, and use all the availible upgrades that were designed for that truck (alu diff cases etc).

You'll end up with something easy to work on, reliable and relatively cheap. It sort of ruins the whole "design & build it yourself" concept, but at least you will end up with a good truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.