Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

mgt, aftershock, same price, what is the better buy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

mgt, aftershock, same price, what is the better buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:00 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mgt, aftershock, same price, what is the better buy?

I'm going to buy one of them, the local shop suports both trucks. I was told I have to by a battery pack for the aftershock, that's 20 more. I'm not a racer, just going to beat the crap out of this truck. Does the mgt and aftershock have rev? can you add rev? I bought a cen funfactor MT2 on impulse, never again , the truck has problems that's costing me $$$$. I was told by the hobby shop owner ( you can't go wrong with either truck). I live in Philadelphia so the bigest danger is the curb, and gun shots. One more thing can anybody tell me if the miss vages boat is any good or should I get the thunder cat? I like boats too.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:34 PM
duckedup

Default RE: mgt, aftershock, same price, what is the better buy?

The MGT has reverse, the Aftershock does not, you would need to buy a LST2 tranny in order to get reverse.. Just go with what you like, they are both decent, IMO the MGT is tougher outa' the box.. You really should get a battery pack either way, it'll save $$ in the long run (these things eat up alkalines) and you'll get better performance with a 5 cell nimh pack. You'll need a hump pack for the MGT, flat pack for the A.S....

There are already quite a few threads on this same topic, you could do a search or just skim through the 1st 2 pages or so....
Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 AM
[email protected]

I did check out all the other post and they talked about the LST2 more so the afterschock. I saw the afterschock for $349.00 and the mgt for $369.00 I'm not sure about shipping. In r/c car magazine they tested the afterschock and said it's more truck for the money. After reading all the post I just don't know. I'm new to the hobby and hooked real bad. I just don't want to wast my money. what truck has been out longer? I'm not the best driver yet so I crash a lot, I just would like a strong truck to have fun, not fixing all the time like my cen funfactor.[]
Old 12-20-2006, 04:38 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems to be kind of a natural law, that within three posts of any mention of an Aftershock, LST2's come up and people just say get the LST2, cuz you're gonna end up upgrading - for MORE money than the LST2 - anyway.. No, I haven't driven either truck, but I've heard enough to be convinced that I'd get the MGT.. The Aftershock's probably faster out of the box, but my bet is that the MGT is tougher, which is what you want. Plus it's easy and cheap to upgrade later..
Old 12-20-2006, 04:51 AM
duckedup

I would go with the MGT.. actually, I already did ...... If you're gonna' go with a Losi monster, go with the LST2, that's the best bang for your buck.. and it's $598 shipped to your door through KillerHobbies [link=http://www.killerhobbies.com/items/team-losi/team-losi-lst-lst2-aftershock-muggy/list.htm]here[/link] (you won't see actual price until you go to the 'checkout' page) I know that's not cheap but you have to consider what you're getting for the price..

If you just want to bash around then I'd go with the MGT or Savage X-SS kit, I've had good luck with my MGT and the X-SS kit looks like a sweet deal for the price and the upgrades it comes with, but you'll need to get the electronics separately.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 AM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

It seems to be kind of a natural law, that within three posts of any mention of an Aftershock, LST2's come up and people just say get the LST2, cuz you're gonna end up upgrading - for MORE money than the LST2 - anyway..
Lol!.... I guess I shouldn't have walked away from the 'puter in the middle of my post, cuzz yours wasn't there when I started [sm=50_50.gif]...
Old 12-22-2006, 07:05 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have not bought yet go to ultimatehobbies.com free shipping on anything over a $100.00
Old 12-27-2006, 12:24 PM
[email protected]

if u still havnt bought an rc............ AFTershock is what i have. after putting through almost 3 gallons of fuel, I broke a turnbuckle and shock shaft............ If youre a new driver, something always gonna break if you hit too hard (just not as bad as that CEN you have)....... but both trucks are good and have their ups and downs, and I was thinking about both when I bought my Aftershock, but I liked the aftershock a little better due to ease to work and the simplicity of the truck..... and you dont need a reverse, it just adds weight and its more of a problem to deal with if youre new to rc and still learning about all the details on your truck
Old 12-27-2006, 01:56 PM
choops01

If you want reverse The after shock will need a new radio also.
The xr2i is only 2 chanels.

Steve
Old 12-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Ken448

ORIGINAL: choops01

If you want reverse The after shock will need a new radio also.
The xr2i is only 2 chanels.

Steve

Thats a good point. BUT having reverse is more of a temporary novelty to most. A lot of the time, its just more moving parts in the tranny to crunch should you accidently hit the reverse switch or something. For cars I am not racing, I leave reverse in until it breaks (and it usually does) then I remove it and the servo that controls it. Usually because of the reduced weight of the truck, and lower rotating mass of the tranny the truck is faster without reverse.

That said, Ive never seen an Aftershock being bashed (Im sure there is hundreds of vids out there.... Go here:

http://lstforums.com/forums/index.ph...97ca190a3e39f5

I have seen a MGT bashed. It is both a great basher and racer. In the end it is really up to you though. BUT doesnt the MGT have a small block in it?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:57 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ken448

BUT doesnt the MGT have a small block in it?
Nope - the newer version has a .28. The older version had a .21 (also big-block)
Old 12-29-2006, 08:44 PM
[email protected]

So far you are the only one to say something about the afterschock. I'm not crazy, but can't make up my mind. I'm going to buy both. You never can have to many RC trucks. I can have more fun with two, so I hope. I look at what some people have and It's a lot more.
ORIGINAL: [email protected]

if u still havnt bought an rc............ AFTershock is what i have. after putting through almost 3 gallons of fuel, I broke a turnbuckle and shock shaft............ If youre a new driver, something always gonna break if you hit too hard (just not as bad as that CEN you have)....... but both trucks are good and have their ups and downs, and I was thinking about both when I bought my Aftershock, but I liked the aftershock a little better due to ease to work and the simplicity of the truck..... and you dont need a reverse, it just adds weight and its more of a problem to deal with if youre new to rc and still learning about all the details on your truck
Old 12-29-2006, 08:48 PM
[email protected]

not a bad idea... haha........ the only people you rear that complain about the aftershock are people that say you dont have; they say u have to get lst2 upgrade kit and blablabla........ I havnt seen 1 aftershock owner not like the truck or say they need the lst2 upgrade kit
Old 12-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Chronic

You're going to buy both? Why buy two cheaper trucks then?

If you have that kind of coin to throw at it then why not consider a Savage X SS, or LST2, or even a hopped up Revo 3.3?... You'll be much happier with one nice truck rather than two stock budget RTRs.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 AM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: Chronic

You're going to buy both? Why buy two cheaper trucks then?

If you have that kind of coin to throw at it then why not consider a Savage X SS, or LST2, or even a hopped up Revo 3.3?... You'll be much happier with one nice truck rather than two stock budget RTRs.
I was thinking about the savage, but parts cost more. I was not that impressed with the savage when my CEN funfactor tore one up. the aftershock and the mgt don't claim to be the best, and all the people I spoke with say good things . When I was racing the savage on the home made track it was real muddy I don't care about my cen so if I break it It's no big deal. the guy with the savage did care. All he was saying was how good the savage is, then when we were running he gave all kinds of excuses to way he could not keep up.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:18 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's true - Savages aren't primarily intended for driving around in circles.. More for off-road, jumps, bashing kind of stuff.. And come on - there is nothing tougher..
Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 PM
[email protected]

yea, you could buy 1 truck and put lots of $ into it if youre coing to race it...... buy an aftershock as thats cheeper to start with and youre going to change the arms, engine, all that stuff they downgraded for the aftershock
Old 01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
SubaruSti

I have a MGT for about a year, and I just got a Aftershock last month. I have had nothing but problems with the Losi . I love the monster GT. It has been by far the toughest truck I have ever had, or out of the people I drive with. And after using a truck with and one without reverse in the same day. I love reverse. The monster trucks do not make tight turns and I use reverse a lot more than I thought.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
[email protected]

what breaks on your AFT?