Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT or revo

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:13 PM
CrT-RaCeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT or revo

I am looking into a truck for my first R/C vehicle. What truck would be better as a first R/C? in better tuning wise, speed, duribility ect. How do they compare and how user freindly are these engines? Also, if there is any other truck for a first R/C that would be best for a noob in tuning and everything, please feel free to post it. thanks for the help, it's apreciated!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:55 PM
KRO

Default RE: MGT or revo

Both are great trucks and have their weak points ..... The MGT is alot cheaper in price , larger , bigger motor , and is easier to work on , and more of a monster truck than the REVO is IMO .

The REVO will handle better , is lighter , will jump better , is faster , and has a more advanced design than the MGT .

Either will break if you drive it outside the limits of their design .

Both have good aftermarket support .
Old 03-16-2007, 08:04 PM
zach brenner

just curious but how are you new to rc's when you have 275 posts?

the mgt beat the revo for a first timer, it's more durable and just rolls over everything, the revo is great but beginners like/will crash into stuff and a revo will not take that. another good truck is the savage X, very, very durable.

Imo get a savage, a new guy will appreciated the extreme durability
Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Ewanni

I'm new to nitro monster trucks and I have an MGT. It's been great to me. Just had a little frustration getting around the axle things to open the transmission, but I'm sure that won't happen to every MGT user. A hex screw just stripped on me. A hobby store guy said I can use his heat gun to melt the threadlock if I need to open it again

Anyways back to the point, MGT is great for your first nitro MT. Just think of the main body as four pieces: engine with exhaust, fuel tank, trans, and servos(servos, radio, and battery box held together in one piece). And the linkages. It's really easy to take them off and put them back on. Only real tricky part is adjusting the engine mount so it fits properly with the large spur gear.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:58 PM
CrT-RaCeR

ORIGINAL: zach brenner

just curious but how are you new to rc's when you have 275 posts?

the mgt beat the revo for a first timer, it's more durable and just rolls over everything, the revo is great but beginners like/will crash into stuff and a revo will not take that. another good truck is the savage X, very, very durable.

Imo get a savage, a new guy will appreciated the extreme durability
Im posting for a friend of mine, i had a revo, Im not a noob but he is, he wanted me to post it so i jsut wanted to help him out...as a favor
Old 03-17-2007, 05:56 PM
[email protected]

I would have to say Ewanni is right about the MGT, I own one and it comes apart with no problems. I have heard that the savage can be a little hard to break down. Revos don't like curbs, my MGT just went over it and broke the front bumper.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:22 PM
ICrashThings

MGT is a good monster truck if you are new to monster trucks. Its big enough to go anywhere you want to, and is easy enough to work on.

Revo is a great truck if you want something a little bit more complex in design. Not as big, but its faster.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GST 7.7
Alot of good trucks have been mentioned BUT why has no one mentioned the GST 7.7? I guess not many people don't own one yet but if you did you would understand. It is an awesome tuck, i almost sound biased when i talk about it but it's seriously that good of a truck, it's HUGE 17lbs, 5HP, 3 speed tranny w/reverse! It'll beat a Revo 3.3 in a drag race and run it over if it wants to. PLUS its durable as heck and it can take a BEATING! Sure i think the revo would probably take it on a course with lots of twists and turns because the revo handles better BUT i in no means takeaway from the GSt because it can still handle well. Great braking power also, plus it looks mean! Heres a picture of mine with a F-650 body on it! It whips up on my Savage SS 4.6 all the time. lol
Old 03-17-2007, 11:01 PM
JUCD VPR

Sorry here is a link to the pictures
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5471867/tm.htm
Old 03-17-2007, 11:11 PM
JUCD VPR

Pictures of my GST 7.7 and my Savage SS 4.6
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5559027/tm.htm
Old 03-18-2007, 10:53 AM
zach brenner

the gst is not for a noob, it's cool but to complicated. it has two trannys, a quad disk brake. if your friend is under the age of 14 he will not ba able to lift it.

the savage it a little bit more complex then the mgt. it just look hard to work on (the x) because it is built tough, hell it has 2 inch thick bulkheads and the tvps is really awesome. I would get the X ss kit, it's not hard to build at all, it was my first car and I build it 8 days when I was 9.

both will not dissapoint but my vote is for the X ss kit.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Ken448

make sure whatever you get that your LHS has parts for them in stock! It sucks to break and have to wait a week or more for replacements!