RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

CEN MT questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:43 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN MT questions

Hey guys. I asked some questions not long ago about buying a Nitro Evader. Well I have ran up on a CEN MT truck for a good price used, and I am in the process of buying it. It probably wont be here until early next week. My first question, is where is the best place to buy parts for these trucks? Are they very durable? I always liked the look of how they were made, and for the price I couldnt pass it up. Im not sure if it runs yet, but it looked to be in good shape from the pictures I got. Supposedly it is missing some kind of linkage, so I will have to fix it, whatever it is. What is the difference in the CEN MT, and the CEN MT2? Do they both run the nt-16 motor(i think that is right)? Also, how much is a brand new motor from CEN? I have to pick up a glow igniter, some fuel, and some glow plugs from the hobby shop so I can run it. Are there any real weak points on the truck or is it a pretty solid truck for the most part? The only thing I dont like is the fact that I cant just go pick up parts at the hobby shop, but if it is pretty reliable, I dont mind ordering a few parts every now and then.[8D] Overall I havent heard much bad about these trucks, and I honestly like the size of them pretty good. Will my traxxas stampede rims and tires fit on it? Thanks for any answers to my questions, and any other tips or advice you have about this truck. Im excited to get it, and get it running!

Eric
Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 PM
cummins driver

Default RE: CEN MT questions

I also forgot. What are the stock needle settings for the NT-16, and is it hard to tune, and start? Also, would I benefit a lot tuning wise if i bought something to check how hot the motor is? If so, how many degrees is normal? Thanks! I want to do this right. I did a search and came up with nothing but positive results.

Eric
Old 04-09-2007, 03:48 AM
[email protected]

It can be hard to tune it was for me but I was very green when I bought it. I burned up two piston and cyl kits and it was all me. The preferred eng temp is 220'F low speed setting is flush with the throttle arm high speed is 3 1/2 turns out. you can order parts from cen cenracing.com and click on cen direct upper right. if you'r getting the fun factor you might want to do the mod. use 3/8 compression fittings from home depot open them up a little with a dremal and slide them over the diff cups and glue, keeps them from breaking. that was my big problem with cen and grinding the spur gears. I just bought the O.S cv-r .18 for my cen just waiting for a new clutch.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 AM
[email protected]

this what it looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66238.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	660322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76241.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	660323  
Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 AM
cummins driver

Thanks for the reply. I will have to do the compression fitting deal if it helps keep the cups from breaking. Also thanks for the needle setting help. Im supposed to be getting the box with it, so hopefully it will have the manual too. Im also pretty green at nitro motors. Why were you burning up the piston and cylinders? Running it to lean? Thats why i was thinking about the temp gun so I would know I had it right. Has the truck been pretty durable over all for you? I wont be bashing it real hard. Probably some small jumps here and there, and probably high speed passes more than anything For $100 I dont think i can go too bad wrong with a complete truck. Ill just sell it if I decide to get rid of it, but I think i will keep it.

Eric
Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 AM
[email protected]

I beat the crap out of my cen, I love watching it rip across the fields and hitting jumps at full speed. it has a few problems the spur gears would go because of sand getting in and grinding them down, body mounts are not strong at all and the diff cups other then that it's a fun truck. I was burning up piston and cyl kits from running to hot, way to hot like 350'f I would run it for some get some good temps and then rip on it. That was my problem you must run rich very rich when doing long runs like 150 to 250 yards at WOT. I do have a temp gun and it's a good thing to have.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:27 PM
cummins driver

Does $130 shipped sound alright for one.. Its supposed to be in pretty good shape, and I can rebuild the motor for $50 or so if I need to, so I should have a good running truck for $200 by the time I get it all working good. Is the nt-16 pretty powerful? Thanks again
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 AM
[email protected]

the .16 is ok but I'm done with it. I have the mgt and the savage X so I bought a new engine for my son and we are going to rebuild it together he thinks it's cool. I love the 1/8 scale and will never buy small anymore.