Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT Engine

Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 AM
nickyrhodes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT Engine

Hi,

I have a stock mgt 4.6se, and was wondering if there is a quicker motor i can buy that i can just bolt into the existing mounting? If so would i have to change the pipe too? Would it need a bigger pinion fitted?

Thanks
Nicky
Old 04-22-2008, 05:00 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MGT Engine

Most big block engines will bolt up to the stock engine mount without any trouble, but you will require a longer throttle linkage.

You wouldn't have to change the stock muffler, but to really get the most out of an aftermarket engine (as well as the stock one) you need a decent tuned pipe such as the LST1 or 2 pipe.

I suggest you get a better pipe first, and install the FOC if you don't need reverse. These mods will give you better acceleration and top speed, and are much cheaper than a new engine.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:34 AM
nickyrhodes

Hi,

Thanks for the info, i'll have a look for a pipe today. I'll probably keep the reverse as i just use it for bashing in smallish areas!

Would it be worth me putting a larger pinion on if the pipe will give me more power? If so, how many teeth should i go up?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 06:50 AM
snowbl!nd

It's probably not worth changing the gearing just yet, once you've got the new pipe installed if you want more top-end drop a few teeth on the spur gear (cheaper than upping the teeth on the pinion). You will of course lose some acceleration in the process if you up the gearing.

Here's my MT-A4/MGT, if you've any more questions just ask away [)]

Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Elite_Tux487

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYU8&P=ML This is probably your best direct replacement engine choice.. By the way it's only going to be a matter of time before you do the FOC. Especially with added power, it will ruin the tranny even with the stock engine. With the FOC kit your tranny is much much stronger and your able to accelerate faster. If you go with a larger clutch bell I suggest only one or two teeth with the stock engine. You will loose some low end grunt..
Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 AM
nickyrhodes

ok, thanks guys thats really helpful.

Will any LST/LST2 tuned pipe fit straight on? I dont mind converting it to side exit (is that via the slot behind the RX battery?)

Old 04-25-2008, 03:24 PM
snowbl!nd

You'll need a different manifold, and if you go for the matching LST manifold you'll need to grind some material from the bottom of it which is easy enough.

There is a rear exhaust maifold availible which will allow you to keep the pipe at the rear, i'm using that setup at the moment and it's a lot less hastle that mounting the pipe at the side and having to bend the manifold around the starter mechanism as well as hacking the plastic chassis guards.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 PM
buck in rut

if you run an upgraded engine it will usually have a little more torque so you can get away with higher gearing and if your not going to go to the fok i would go to at least a 16/49 and maybe a little smaller on the spur but only a little if you gear down at all you will tear the crap out of the transmission i have the lrp spec3 .28 with a 16/54 gearing i do have the fok and updated driveline 17mm wheel hubs and the associated duel chamber pipe running 30% nitro i had to go to the fok about a week after i upgraded then i went to larger wheel hubs about 3 weeks later shortly after that i broke my rear drive shaft and it went like that until i just replaced every thing bigger is not always better before you go larger there are several things you can do pretty cheap to squeeze the most from the stock setup first off the slipper clutch is pretty weak if you fill all the holes in the spur gear with friction pegs it helps i highly recommend the fok it makes alot of difference get rid of the stock tires they are very heavy a set of traxxas talons on revo wheels fit right on look good and shave close to 15oz off you can get them online for around 60 for all anything is better than the stock ones if you want more speed go 16/49 shorten the space between the muffler and the header you can cut about 1/4 off the header and really raise the powerband you can even add a head shim all these things will get the speed up but will hurt torque and bottom end punch and some may be a little extreme if you want low end pretty much go the other way spread the pipe until you have about 1/2 gap in the silicone hose a 15/54 gearing does good for bottom end the engine only has one shim do not remove it the piston cannot handle the heat and extra compression i have tried 2 times just get a long glo plug and go get the truck as light as possible if you go for the 54 spur i recomend http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKLB1&P=OW i hope this helps
Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 AM
nickyrhodes

Hi,

Thanks very much for all of this, i'll prob go for the rear exit.

Nicky