Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Bent Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Ziggy46802

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Shocks

Two of my shocks have been bent so far and I was thinking about upgrading to aluminum piggy back shocks. Will these new shocks not bend as much? Also, are my shocks bending because I'm using the wrong shock oil? So far my T-Maxx 3.3 has had about a gallon through it and I've been using the stock shocks and haven't oiled them. What type of shock oil should I get if the roughest stuff I go on is low grass (like a football field). Should I get different springs too? I am using the stock red traxxas springs on all 8 shocks.

P.S. The bending isn't like a 90 degree angle, it is just a slight bend which causes my truck's steering alignment to go off and is bad for the other shocks.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
ericem

Default RE: Bent Shocks

Could have been a fluke. You do serious bashing?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Ziggy46802

Nothing very serious, I do flip my car a lot though from turning since I'm still not too great at controlling it but the flips are usually very slow and the car barely flips over on its back. The only other stuff I do is maybe go off a little curb or something but thats less than a foot high and I don't jump off of it very fast.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Spudnik

shocks bending? with only a gallon not sure what it is your doing. I had onver14 on my savage before i swapped ou tmy shocks. Big issues with bent shocks is driving into things and super think oil. I suggest you stick with stock (slum sucks anyways) and not drive into things
Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Ziggy46802

Two of my shocks have been bent so far and I was thinking about upgrading to aluminum piggy back shocks. Will these new shocks not bend as much? Also, are my shocks bending because I'm using the wrong shock oil? So far my T-Maxx 3.3 has had about a gallon through it and I've been using the stock shocks and haven't oiled them. What type of shock oil should I get if the roughest stuff I go on is low grass (like a football field). Should I get different springs too? I am using the stock red traxxas springs on all 8 shocks.

P.S. The bending isn't like a 90 degree angle, it is just a slight bend which causes my truck's steering alignment to go off and is bad for the other shocks.
Any bend in the shock shaft is a bad thing. Worse, bending them back by hand or even with the assistance of a vise and pliers is near impossible. As for oil, no, oil weight had very little or nothing to do with your shocke shafts bending. Somehow, you crashed such that the shafts took a side loading and the resulting bending moment i what bent them.

As for the new piggy back shocks, I suggest you do not buy the Integy ones. Integy's chinese subcontractor who actually make them uses inferior metals. Sure, the shocks look pretty, but they are not functional as far as standing up to what your stock shocks took. In your case, I highly suggest you simply buy replacement stock shocks from the local RC store; they are probably cheaper than Integy ones, will take more abuse than the Integy, and are very easy to replace.

CEN has some great piggy back shocks, they will take some serious bashing abuse before bending and breaking. You might have to do some mods to your T-Maxx to get them to fit and you might have to get much weaker springs, the CEN shocks will be much more stiffer than the Traxxas one. Check out the Traxxas forums, they have guys in their who modified ther T-Maxxes in crazy ways, including mounting shocks from all sorts of various makers.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 PM
novakmaxx

get traxxas big bores with heavy springs.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:29 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify, oil can be a factor of the bending of shock shafts. The heavier the oil, the harder is is on the shafts. Heaviest you should go should be 70WT, and thats for really big jumping.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 PM
rclynx

crunches bend shocks [&:]