RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

temp readings???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 03:06 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default temp readings???

Where is the best place to take readings from. I have a hand held raytek gun and I take my readings from the glow plug. But the onboard temps look like the take the readings from the finned head. I have taken both readings with my gun and have shown up to a 60 deg. diff. with the plug being the hotter of the two. My eng. still runs rich, but was wondering what the best temp spot is.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:20 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp readings???

I always just point around with the gun until I find the hottest part of the head/cylinder.
Which, to me, is all that really matters.

Remember that the further away you are with the Raytek, the less accurate.
You don't need to be melting the gun on the fins, but you should be within a couple inches.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
NitroHolmes

Default temp readings???

It's been recommended to me by numerous people to check the temp at the glow plug. The fins are there to cool the engine so it makes sense that they would be cooler than the glow plug....they are dissipating heat. The temp of the fins will increase the closer you get to the glow plug.

As Mr. Watkins said, the hottest temp is the only one that really matters because that's where the failure will be if it overheats.

As far as your onboard temp gage goes, what are it's reading in comparison to your gun? Even though the onboard takes reading from the finned head, it may be calibrated to make an adjustment for the difference and display what it calculates the real temp of the engine is.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:53 AM
lamp3y3

Default temp readings???

i loop the onboard probe right where the sink meats the top of the cylinder. This spot should give you very accurate readings with your onboard Viper etc guage. I think the highest reading Ive taken is 230ish on sirio .18 and thats probably the best spot to record the highest temp from. btw.. the venom only differed around 5 degrees from the raytek when tested once.

Lampeye