Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

OFNA Pirate 10 RTR ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 06:25 PM
flatlander_14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA Pirate 10 RTR ???

ima newbie to rc and wanta MT, i was browsing tower hobbies and noticed this truck. the ofna pirate 10 rtr. is it any good at all? ive heard that ofna is a pretty reputable engine manufacturer so is their truck high quality or what?

http://www.ofna.com/p10rtr.html

at tower hobbies it has a price tag of like $340 or $350 (dont remember)
Old 05-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a very tough, very fast truck but it has its quirks. For the most part it is a buggy with big tires. It uses a drive system that doesnt regulate power very well and you end up with the front tires lifting off the ground and then all power goes to them causing the tires to spin, ballon out, and look like pizza cutters. The result is no control at all. Get your start on a truck with a few less "quirks". A traxxas rustler of stampede is a good starter for a stadium truck (2wd), Savage is good for a 4wd MT.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:10 PM
flatlander_14

i was actually thinking tmaxx if the pirate 10 wasnt in the best peoples' thoughts. i know the engine dies out after a bit, but i have a friend who replaced his sirio .18 i think and could donate it to me if i need it i like the savage also, but it's not as widely represented my my lhs, they have about every hop up for a tmaxx though.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Avalanche

I'm not going to start another "This vs. that" thread but the maxx isnt a good starter truck. the engine is super tempermental and needs to be retuned nearly every time you use it. For out of the box reliability and super tough bulletproof bashing, go with the Savage, you can get anything online with 2-3 day shipping. Another choice is the Terra Crusher it tough, and runs good but its a little underpowered.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:17 AM
gotskrilla

the pirate 10 is an awesome vehicle avalanche is wrong its not a buggy it's a stadium truck
you can get it cheaper at www.acehardwarehobbies.com and www.nitrohouse.com those places they are only 299............i love the pirate 10 it is very durable and fast
Old 08-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Avalanche

Originally posted by gotskrilla
the pirate 10 is an awesome vehicle avalanche is wrong its not a buggy it's a stadium truck

Ummmmm, no. Its based on a buggy chassis. Also, a stadium truck by nature is usually 2wd, the buggy based P-10 in question is 4wd.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:29 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Truck

The T-maxx is a viable option, I would not worry much about the engine. Once you learn to tune it you should not have any problems with it whatsoever.
If someone is having to tune the engine everytime they run then there are other problems with thier model.
I have run several traxxas engines in my time and while they are not my choice of motor, they are capable engines.

If I were buying a monster truck right now, I would have nothing other than the HPI Savage. You have made a good point in that your local hobbyshop does not stock much in comparison to the T-maxx. Here is the key though on that issue:
If you are comfortable with working on the truck and replacing parts and dont mind waiting a day or 2 for parts to come in then you can order all your savage parts online. To add to that 9 times out of 10 you will pay less online in comparison to the hobby shop.

Now if you feel like you need a lot of support from the shop and your shop has good support, and you feel like you would rather be able to run down and grab the part then you might want to go with the T-maxx.
Notice I stated, if you have a good shop, some shops dont support anything, they sell you stuff and tell you to get lost basically. I would not spend a dime in a store like that.
Some shops will only support you if you bought your model there and buy parts there. Very few shops will support you regardless of where you buy, but there are some out there.

When it all comes out in the wash, both the savage and the T-maxx are great trucks. I think the savage is a little better but I also like HPI better in general.

Dbow
Old 08-20-2003, 04:50 PM
flatlander_14

hmmm, someone brought an old post back from the dead

ive had my tmaxx for a month lol. so NOW i get advise... haha. i have a tmaxx now and all the upgrades and whatnot are in my sig.