Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

got my tower terror .25:) but have couple ?s

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

got my tower terror .25:) but have couple ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:57 PM
gordesky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my tower terror .25:) but have couple ?s

k got it today and got it started and ran it some but everytime i fully push the trigger it bogs out than trys to stall or does stall i tried to tune it but it still does it.]

it sounds and runs good when its ildeing and going slow but as soon as i floor it it bogs.

than when i took it with me to my work which has big fields when i got there i couldint get it started and it was also back fireing with flames out of the tail pipe lol i never saw that before ony from real cars so i quit and check the glow plug and wipe it off and unflood the engine than i tried it again and it almost started than stalled than i tried it again and it wouldint kick over than it sounded like it wasint geting a spark so i took out the plug and put it in my glow in lighter and it wouldint glow so i tried it again and it was gona glow but went out.

so not sure which it is the glow plug or the inlighter which i know its problee weak so i problee got to replace both of them tho the glow plug looks like new not burnt or wet so maybe its my inighter that died.

but i was wondering can i use any glow plug in it? like i have a extra plug that is from my t-maxx can i use that? would suck if i have to order on tower and wait like a week to get it.... because my hobby shop doesint have any tower parts.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 AM
gordesky1

Default RE: got my tower terror .25:) but have couple ?s

pretty sure im gona need a glow inighter i just got home and tested it and it was ony reading 1.11v and i tried one of my old t-maxx glow plugs and it lighted up than went out than tried it again doesn't even light up.

so i charged it little and tried it and it lighted up and the one from the tower hobby's than went out again.

hopefully it just needs charged tho i had it on charged all day if it doesint work or stay charge im gona get one of those that you can change out the batterys with c batterys.

but ya pretty sure that problem is solved but would like to get it runing way it should be does anyone have one that could give me tips for tuning it?

i know how to tune because i got my t-maxx running pretty good now but this one seems like it doesn't want to so not sure hehe.

also another thing does anyone know why i have 0% of brakes lol?

be nice to stop normal i have to slow down from moving the wheels back and forth to slow down lol
Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: gordesky1

pretty sure im gona need a glow inighter i just got home and tested it and it was ony reading 1.11v and i tried one of my old t-maxx glow plugs and it lighted up than went out than tried it again doesn't even light up.

so i charged it little and tried it and it lighted up and the one from the tower hobby's than went out again.

hopefully it just needs charged tho i had it on charged all day if it doesint work or stay charge im gona get one of those that you can change out the batterys with c batterys.

but ya pretty sure that problem is solved but would like to get it runing way it should be does anyone have one that could give me tips for tuning it?

i know how to tune because i got my t-maxx running pretty good now but this one seems like it doesn't want to so not sure hehe.

also another thing does anyone know why i have 0% of brakes lol?

be nice to stop normal i have to slow down from moving the wheels back and forth to slow down lol
well did you finish the break in process
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 AM
gordesky1

i didn't buy it new i got it off a person off this forum from the buy and sell which he problee did the brake in when he got it.

for some reason now i cant get it to start up now... it sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't kick over sounds like its flooded but i unflooded and it still wont kick over...

would a weak glow plug inighter cause this? because by the time it floods and everything the volts on the glow starter is aready down to 1.11volt to .98 but even when i take it off charge which is 1.32v full charge it still doesint kick over but it problee drops.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:30 PM
gordesky1

got it runing again and it drove pretty good but still bogs out when i gun it.

i just dont get it i tried to lean it more and even try to richen it up still doesint make much difference.

also bought another glow stick the dyna-glow which takes a d battery and its much better than the rechargeable one i have this one didint go dead while starting it.

also got another glow plug which is #3 plug which the plug that came with the truck is 3#. so i pop that in and it started but as soon as i left off the gas it stalled so i pop in the old one and it stayed runing.

when you put a new glow plug in does it have to break in? maybe that's the problem.

but man this truck is sure fun when it gets going its super fast and powerfull the 4x4 system is also powerful seems like the 4x4 is more stronger than my t-maxx but it could be because of the powerful motor the tower has because the one in my t-maxx is a pro.15.

but the pro .15 engine is pretty much trouble free lol allways starts up fast and doesint have carb trouble.

heck maybe the truck needs to run long because the guy did tell me he haven't use it for awhile so maybe it needs a good run. gona take it to work with me and drive it out in the field thats if i could get it started again...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the stock vertx motor? I would first make sure the needles are adjusted to the initial specs. You have set the low spd initial adjustment with the car at wide open throttle, not running of course, you can hold it open with your hand and adjust it.

I would then restart it and go from there. If it bogs and stalls out right off the line your to rich on the high spd needle, I would adjust in 1hr increments leaning it one 1hr increment counter clockwise.

If its dying when you start to hit mid range to top end, then richen the high spd by 1hr increments.

I know what you mean about the brakes, not the greatest. When the vertex is tuned in it is a real screamer, but sensitive to adjustments. I sealed my motor all up an it helped the perfromance greatly. It is a wild and fun ride. I do own one also.

tower plugs work great in this car also and they are cheap bought in bulk
Old 08-20-2008, 04:15 AM
gordesky1

k have the same starting problem again... for some reason it floods alot than takes for ever to start and by the time it almost gets running my rotor starter battery is dead than i charge it up and the same dam thing happens...

the glow plug and glow starter is fine because they glow really bright.

after about 30min of trying to start it it started up than idle than stalled and the same thing happens again doesn't kick over... so not sure whats wrong...

also i don't know the stock adjustments because i didn't get a book...

i know the one way bearing is going because it catch's on than spins and does that for a while than it will start working good.

maybe that's what making the flooding happening? i just don't want to by a one way bearing and it still doesn't start normal..

i never had this kinda of problem with my t-maxx pro.15 even when it had a bad one way bearing it started up now with the new one way bearing couple pulls and it starts right up.

ya its the stock tower terror .25

heck i even put on new fuel lines because the old ones was leaking....
Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 AM
binaryterror

It sounds real rich to mean. Try leaning it out on the top to see if that helps.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:59 PM
silverman1

Dude needles are set 3 1/2 high spd screw from lightly seated to 3 1/2 out counterclockwise.

Low spd screw the one that in the middle of the throttle slide arm 3 1/2 out from seated with the throttle slide held wide open.

1 to 2mm on the idle adjustment slide gap at closed throttle, must have air cleaner off to observe this.

After you do your settings go from there only dialing in the high spd first. If it bogs off the line lean up some. Its also a good idea to leave glow igniter on just a little bit after started to allow her to warm up. I would then devote my full attention to tuning in the high spd screw first. once its dialed you can tune on the low spd screw but adjust in small increments.

good luck
Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM
gordesky1

man this is really driving me nuts i tried those carb settings and it still doesn't start up and it keep flooding because you could see the gas spraying up from the carb when i try to start it....

i tried to lean it alot still doesn't do anything i even tried realy rich still does the same...

not sure if i should get a new one way bearing or what because when the one way bearing starts working fully it still wont start up....
Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM
gordesky1

maybe its the glow plug? i meen not from being bad but the wrong one? because what i herd the number should be higher for bigger engines and for small ones it should be a lower number think lower is hotter?

the 2 plugs i got is the one that came with is a os a3 and the one i bought is a dynamite platinum # 3 hot
Old 08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
gordesky1

ordered a new one way bearing and a number #8 os plug so hopefully that will fix something.. lol

also can new gas go bad? because that might be the problem the first day i got the truck i use my old gas which is in the traxxes metal gas can than the 2nd day i start using the new nitro which is in the plastic gallon jug which is ony like 2weeks old

because i took my old reliable t-maxx .15 with me to work and it started right up with in 2 pulls and ran good but than it started to flood it self and bog a little than it stalled so i tried to start it up and nope didint want to kick over so i turn it over with the plug out to get the gas out than tried to start it and it started right up than i drove it some more and it did it again like 15min later but it kept starting up after i unflooded it

it seems like its the nitro because my t-maxx never acted like this also it seems like it was overheating some to which never happen before.

so how can i tell if its bad nitro?

it does have a weirder smell to it like rotten or something lol i never remember that smell from my old tank.

maybe the tower terror doesint like the nitro which why it trys to start up than floods it self?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 AM
KRO

Its not the fuel , its got too be in the tuning on the carb or a bad glow plug . Does the motor still have good compression/pinch ?

You can go too Tower Hobbies website and download the manual for it if you want ....

But silverman1 is right 3 1/2 turns on both needles is the factory settings ...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:05 AM
gordesky1

i tried to set the carb to the factory settings still doeisnt kick over... it sounds like it wants to start up sometimes but doesint.

the glow plug seems fine because when i test it just the plug in my glow starter it lights up bright orange but i got a os #8 plug coming so maybe that will help it.

also how do i check if the motor have good compression/pinch? when it was running it seems like it was powerful but cant get it running now..
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
KRO

Just rotate the flywheel , if there is resistance and its hard too turn over when the piston nears top dead center then it still has pinch/compression ....
Old 08-21-2008, 06:03 PM
gordesky1

k i did the compression test and it seems like its easy to turn it has resistance but i could turn it easy... also is it the same doing this with the truck out of the truck than in?

because i got the engine out of the truck to take the one way bearing out for when i get the new one next week.

so its pretty much a bad engine? and will need the piston and stuff replace to fix it?

what i don't get is when it does run it has tons of power just taping the trigger and didint stall and idle good......

oh forgot to say that when i turn the flywheel i use 2 fingers like if i was turning a nob there's resistance but it easy to turn it not hard.

i tried with one finger and its a little harder to do.

so there's hope its not bad?

like if i try it with my t-maxx ..15 its pretty hard to turn it
Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 PM
BigGrump

A lot of engines get loose like that and still run fine for a long time. I don't think the engine is worn out. Just get it in proper order, all sealed up and tuned right and I'll bet you are in business for a long time.

Dennis
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
silverman1

The tower glow plugs work great with this motor, they are a medium plug. Yeah I would pull it apart the engine, take the head off and sleeve out. take the piston rod assembly out, and push up into sleeve, if it goes all the way through you need a piston and sleeve.

There are good articles on here telling you how to seal a motor. Just tear it down slow and be observant as to how everything came apart, and put it back together in the reverse order.

Before you do this please read a article on it first.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
gordesky1

can you link me the articles? for some reason i cant find them lol

would like to look at them before i do all this.

i know for sure it has a leak because when it was running there was gas coming out of the head area.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 AM
gordesky1

also does anyone know will a oneway bearing for a t-maxx which is a 0.15 work on this engine?

because the one from the .15 looks the same as the one that's in the .25 even has the same letters on it.

i wanted to know because im going to my lhs today and gonna pick up a few stuff and if that bearing fits i might buy one down there to so i have 2 just incase and i cant wait till next week when i get the one i got off tower hobbies lol.

oh and will this pull start work on this engine i herd it will http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDLN5&P=ML
Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 AM
msdtyu

it sounds like the engine is still in break in if i am correct you should do the breakin and tell us if the problem gets better or not
Old 08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
gordesky1

the problem with that the engine wont kick over lol the engine is aready broken in from the first owner it isint a new one.

but ya i guess we see if it will start up when i get the new one way bearing maybe that's the big cause of it.

matter what gonna seal the engine up after i get it started. hopefully that will cure all problems.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:38 PM
gordesky1

good news the truck is up and running

you know the top head on the engine? it was missing a screw and leaking some which was like that when i got it form the first owner so today when i couldn't get it started again and it was leaking bad out of the side of the head.

so i took it off and there was gas all over the bottom of it and some dirt so i cleaned it put it on and i put a new screw were one was missing and tried to start it and it started right up as soon as i push on the rottor starter

so that was the problem all that time... lol and wow this truck really moves popping wheelies and spinning tire lol which never did before

i really like how much power this thing has i drove it in a yard and well i wont do that again because it was tearing it up lol grass flying everywere lol
Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 PM
silverman1

That should have, but did not dawn on me. I never figured on that, but come to think of it mine like to back off a little every now and then. Check those head bolts for tightness regularly.

The school of hard knocks can be hard, but when you solve the problem victory is so sweet!!

Congrats!!

I had my terror out today and it flat out just screams. knock on wood i have been having great luck with the stock motor.