RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

fuel in carburators

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 06:27 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel in carburators

Hey! This isn't my account, it's my dad's but I am his daughter so I thought I'd ask my question since dad has nothing to do with cars (airplane junkie)......

When I first got my original Tmaxx, it always ran real lean or real rich..it was never able to stay directly in the middle. What my dad always does for his planes was tune it with the tuning screw first and then pour a little bit of fuel down the carburator depending on the lean ness or the richness of the plane. Well, we never consulted with our local hobby shop folks about this with cars but he asumed it was ok...so he did it. Is it ok to do that? I mean it is now a good 1 1/2 year later and it no longer is hard to keep tuned up but the engine is always quitting now. Did that have anything to do with what is going on now? Thanks! "Ice Girl"
Old 06-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Legendary

Default Well,

I don't think extra fuel is going to hurt anything! You have had it for over a year and a half right? How much fuel have you run through it?? If you ran it a lot seeing how you don't have to put in away for the winter! I would say that it is time for a re-build of the piston and sleeve but, again it all depends how much you ran it??
Old 06-15-2003, 03:36 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: Well,

Originally posted by Legendary
I would say that it is time for a re-build of the piston and sleeve but, again it all depends how much you ran it??
I agree!! Sounds like you got good use out of it, now its time to upgrade or rebuild!!
Old 06-16-2003, 12:57 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Well,

Ok...I've only had it for only a year and a half and only about 3 gallons of riches brew has gone through it. How would I do anysort of upgrade? and how would I manage to rebuild a piston and sleeve? Would it be something that I could do myself? Thanks for all of your help guys!
Ice girl
Old 06-16-2003, 04:04 AM
Alteramod

Well if you want to upgrade then either buy the same engine that in it now or just find a different engine that will bolt right in. If it is the first maxx then I would just buy a different engine with a little more power

Ill find a link that may help you find a engine to just put in there with out haveing to buy other things to make it fit
Old 06-16-2003, 04:08 AM
Alteramod

Ok here is the link:
http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...69&forumid=216
The 4th post will pry help you out the most.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Legendary

Default Rebuilds are pretty easy,

Just make sure that the engine has been cleaned real good before you start taking it apart!

Here is a link that I got from another forum member that is vary easy to follow!

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/ht_rebuild.asp
Old 06-17-2003, 04:31 AM
Krusty

What's the deal with pouring fuel down the carb? What is that supposed to do? Am I missing something here?
Old 06-17-2003, 04:34 AM
Alteramod

It mainly helps prime it, and helps it start if it wont start.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:48 AM
Krusty

Icegirl didn't say "prime" in her post. "What my dad always does for his planes was tune it with the tuning screw first and then pour a little bit of fuel down the carburator depending on the lean ness or the richness of the plane." Really doesn't make too much sense as it is used in the context. Dumping fuel down the carb tends to flood the engine. I don't know of anyone that does that anymore and I fly planes. To prime (choke) the engine (on a plane) you just place your finger over the carb inlet, turn the prop (by hand) until fuel enters the carb, install the igniter and "hit-it" with the starter motor. Instant "roar".