RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

Venom-Racing GPV-1 motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Venom-Racing GPV-1 motorcycle

Putting an 8K kv motor in the bike without having any long term experience with it and understanding it is going to lead to disappointment I can tell you that right off. Thats so much power and unless you really know the bike and set it up for that your just going to flop around. Try a motor in the 5500 to 6800 kv range and set the TH curve to the softest settings (depends on ESC) and you will begin to enjoy the bike. The tires are very soft for stock tires and run well in poor dusty places but really shine on a nice clear and clean surfaces. Using the softer tires helps even more and makes the choice of running location a little less critical.
If you PM me I can point you to a forum with a wealth of info about the bike and set up tips.

Chris
Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
buscg1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got it running today, turns out the reciever is bad. I used one of my spektrums on my M11. This thing is sure tricky at first but I set the epa way down and Im fiddling with the exp and I have it to where I can do big ovals, now Im charging the battery. Its pretty cool, I think I will keep it around a while. Thanks for all the tips. My friend is letting me trade him my 8k motor for his 6400 so eventually thats what I will put in.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:39 AM
navy_mustang_pilot
My Feedback: (1)

i put in a mamba 6800 and while still running a 1200ma nimh i am really enjoying the bike so far.... need to play with the th curve a bit and tweek it more for my liking and driving style but so far things are great with it.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:31 AM
microDan

Is this a good combo for speed and control
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXTYK9&P=K
Novak Mongoose Micro Pro Brush less System 13.5. I've only run my GPV 1 a few times and it came with the optional 12T chain gear for more speed / not installed yet.
What would the speed be with the 12T and this BL setup up.
I have 2400mah Li-ion 8.4 batteries and have been running them on the stock bike.
Runs nice, but I still need to learn to control it... Time will tell..... I love the GPV-1.
I appreciate the help/info, thanks again to all...
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Chris Nicastro

Thats a good combo for the bike and it will go faster than stock by about 30% would be my guess. Your doing it right and practice more before you throw the big power into the bike. Have fun!

Chris
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 AM
microDan

Chris,
Thanks for the confirmation. One other thing I read, I would have to use the Novak pinions on the Novak motor, correct?
As the Venom pinions won't fit?
Also the Novak motor mount screws are different than stock, where do I get the motor mounting screws? What size and pitch are they?
Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Chris Nicastro

No info on the motor screws except many bolt patterns. Our bike motor mount will use M3 screws and has slots and two patterns so anything should fit it.
Check out the info on this page.
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...cro/index.html

Chris
Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 AM
microDan

Thanks again Chris, I'll give Novak a call about the mounting screws.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Daholla77

I was wondering what should be the first things i buy for my bike outside of the motor and battery?I was thinking about buying the alloy parts and the race frame, the front brake kit and maybe tires. I was also wondering if the brake kit is a simple install or do you have to ad too it.? I figure I would learn how to drive it before I add speed to it.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Chris Nicastro

The first thing I would suggest is the Race Chassis. After that I would say the alloy chassis parts and softer tires followed by the forks and tripple clamps. Start from the inside and work your way out. I would add the disc brakes when you go brushless because they are very strong and better suited to higher speeds. The brake kit is easy to install and comes complete with servo.
Drive the stock bike first and get used to it and tune it then start upgrading it as you learn. That will be the best way to really understand it and have fun.

Chris
Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

I just bought the venom bike and it is turning into a nightmare..parts breaking in the upgrade kit when installing, or parts missing in the upgraded parts themselves,..been trying to email VENOM RACING and no replies back starting to get frustrating..I sent a pm to venomous, this is the 2nd product from venom racing within 2 weeks I had issues with with missing parts or defects.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

I just bought the venom bike and it is turning into a nightmare..parts breaking in the upgrade kit when installing, or parts missing in the upgraded parts themselves,..been trying to email VENOM RACING and no replies back starting to get frustrating..I sent a pm to venomous, this is the 2nd product from venom racing within 2 weeks I had issues with with missing parts or defects.
Sounds like you need to stick to 4 wheels & tires.. Man thats not cool to say the least.. I just got my GPV-1 and out of the box I am amazed with this thing. I am not new to the bike scene, I have invested close to $1000 in a Nuova Faor Nitro Bike that just sits on the shelf have a few Kyosho HOR's as well as a few TT's now but this Venom Bike I like! Looking to get a brushless set up now and with the help of microDan I think I will go with the Novak System..
Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Chriscru

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

Sounds like you need to stick to 4 wheels & tires.. Man thats not cool to say the least.. I just got my GPV-1 and out of the box I am amazed with this thing. I am not new to the bike scene, I have invested close to $1000 in a Nuova Faor Nitro Bike that just sits on the shelf have a few Kyosho HOR's as well as a few TT's now but this Venom Bike I like! Looking to get a brushless set up now and with the help of microDan I think I will go with the Novak System..

I was told there was issues with the "upgraded brake parts" and the new alloy rear shock, so if you buy those item be aware
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Chris Nicastro

@hndaman1
The parts have shipped to you that we discussed.

The Brake Kit has very small alloy cable adjusters and some have not been made to specification. As a result some may break during assembly. If this is the case we will replace them under warranty at no charge.
The Rear Shock we are aware that some units have been missing the o-rings. You can use the o-rings in your RTR bike no problem and we can send you a pair at no charge if they are missing. Either way the rear shock will work just fine. We are going through our inventory to find the shocks with missing o-rings and adding them as needed.

Thanks for the support and dont hesitate to contact us or me here anytime.

Chris
Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
microDan

Here are a couple pics of my Novak 13.5 Brushless setup.
I'm useing the Novak 11T pinion and it's still crazy fast, I had to tune it down in my radio until I get better at controlling it.
The battery packs I use are 2600mah Lithium Ion.
I have the Futaba FAAST 2.4ghz Rx mounted in the subframe over the rear wheel.
This is one of the best RC's I've ever had. Bikes are a challenge, but for me that is the challenge.
Venom made a great affordable bike that works, is durable and so upgradeable, I love it!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
MidWestRacer

I was thinking about picking this kit up but before I buy one will a MambaMax brushless kit from a mini t fit into one or is the motor too small?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
microDan

I'm sort of new to the R/C bike scene, but I do know many guys do use the Mamba in the Venom.
I'm not sure which motor they use. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find the popular Mamba setup.
If you look thru this thread from the beginning you'll see/read about the Mamba BL's in this bike. I think I read about a MiniT put in the GPV-1, just re-read the posts to be sure.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 PM
fastgixxerlv

I just saw one of these at my LHS, pretty freakin sweet! I'm doing a little research before I buy & it looks like they may have some problems from what I'm reading here. As with most new things that come out there will be problems. From looking at it I think I can tune it enough to suit me. I really like the gixxer scale look. From what I've read here people are having probs with turning. I've been riding for a long time and there's no way you can make it turn sharp at speed, you're limited to how far the bike will lean without scraping the rearsets or exhaust. On 1:1 bikes we counter weight for sharp turns like u-turns. Unless U have a leperchaun riding it that's your turning radius. Shortening the rake will make it more flickable, but less stable at high speeds. Take the motorcycle safety foundation class for $60 and I promise you will get a better understanding of their physics. Anyway, I'm lovin' this bike. I'd get the more expensive ones but they're not gixxers, and I'm sick of nitros. The problem I have now is that my LHS don't have any upgrades not even tires, which is one of the most important hop ups, so my question for Venomous is, on the venom website it says the front brakes aren't available yet what's up with that? How is the bike suppose to stop? A motorcycles brakes are 70% front 30% rear. There's no way you can stop a bike fast enough with just rear brakes. I don't even use the rear brakes on a 1:1 except for balancing wheelies. Let me know if that front brake is available now and I'll order tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 PM
microDan

Tower Hobbies has the front brakes in stock. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVBP6&P=Z
You really don't need them unless you go brushless and have all that speed.
The brakes /rear are controlled by the ESC, I'm running Novack 13.5 T BL but tuned the power down thru the radio and it runs and slows/stops down nice.
The key to getting these bikes to perform from what I see is some tuning in the bike setup and the radio setup is just as or more important for good control.
The only way to describe these bikes is like trying to control a helicopter on the ground like a bike.
I'm loving it and love the ground challenge. I've been into R/C for over 35 years, these bikes are the best.
I've done boats, cars, trucks, planes, and now the the VENOM GPV-1 and loving it..... I have 2 of them and all the option parts to build my own custom BL (NOVAK)
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
fastgixxerlv

Cool! Ya I'm gonna order it. Venom has most of the ugrades in stock and I'll get the front brake from Tower. I have a 6800 kv brushless laying around that I'll put in once I get a hang of it. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by a helicopter on the ground? I fly helis and that's like balancing a ball bearing or marble on a flat piece of glass. Once the bike rolls the gyro effect from the front tires should keep it upright like on a 1:1. Once it's leaned you should be able to balance it with the throttle and counter steering, right? What about the chain? Should I order extras? On a 1:1 bike the chain stretches, every 400 miles or so it's gotta get tightened. Can links be taken off? I would imagine with a brushless set up the chain and sprockets are gonna take a beating. If I remember that novak mongoose is sensored right? Those are freaking rad! It always knows the position of the rotor so there's no hesitation in acceleration under load and the low speed control and braking is amazing.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 PM
fastgixxerlv

My bad... I just have way too much to say. What do you mean by tuning the power down? Is it the punch control? Doesn't it have a slipper clutch? I'm gonna be running a DX3R radio, not like your Futuba but it should be enough right? Or should I keep the radio it comes with? I can't wait... I'll post pics once I get the hang of driving it and I get it fully custom.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
microDan

What I meant was the bike turns from input and throttle, all I did to slow it down was decrease my EPA's.
Like a heli, you have to think ahead.
No slipper clutch, direct electric motor drive....
If you can fly a heli you'll have no problem with the venom....after you get it set up and get the feel for it...
Keep us posted, good luck.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 AM
HG1980
Banned

S
Old 06-14-2009, 08:43 PM
moRotorMotor

I just took the bike out after waiting for some nicer weather. I bought my bike from Tower and it included the brake kit for free, which is a nice $30 gift. I was hoping it wasn't going to handle like my TT, and to a degree, it didn't. I was able control the lean angle better than my TT. However, it still made very wide turns (15-20ft) and rubbed on the rails at moderate speed (this was the slowest speed I could manage without it falling over). I think I need more practice and gentler on the throttle/steering and not try to drive it like a car. Do you guys run your bike without rails? Is it possible to make tigher turns and not have any rubbing? Just finished reading this thread from start to finish, try to absorb all the tips and hints. Thanks for the input to the community. I haven't given up hope and will practice when the weather allows! Thanks!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 PM
SmokyTyrz

Hi folks

I'm probably just missing something, but I'm having a spot of trouble with my throttle on this bike.

Out of the box, I charged the battery. Hooked it up, turned on the tx, then the power switch on the bike. Motor spins up and the bike is running. I follow the Set procedure for the ESC in the manual. Turn the bike off, then back on, and rear wheel is still spinning, motor is still turning. I can't tell if this is max speed or not. Doesn't seem like it.

Throttle on the tx has no effect. Trimming the throttle has no effect.

When I run the SET procedure I get the following behavior:

- turn on bike, motor spins and wheel turns
- press set button for 2 secs, motor stops spinning. led is blinking
- hold throttle at max, press set button, I hear a beep and the led blinks slower
- hold brake at max, press set button, i hear 4 beeps and they coincide with a light flash
- the red led resumes blinking

Also, changing EPA has no effect.

I figure something is wrong here because the manual says nothing about 4 beeps, and says the led is supposed to stop flashing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.