Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

how do these turn?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do these turn?

I've never seen an rc motorcycle, and i was wondering how they turn? I understand how they turn the front wheel, but wouldn't they hae to lean also?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Default RE: how do these turn?

I'm fairly new to RC bikes but I know how the full size ones work very well. There are two ways that RC motorcycles turn. Kyosho uses a kind of odd ball way to turn their bikes and I can't think of a way to explain it so I'll let someone else try . I know thunder tiger and the new venom gpv-1 use the "normal" way to steer a motorcycle. With any bike or motorcycle the front wheel has to turn right for the vehicle to turn left (yes, the opposite way that you want to turn). What this does is drives the front tire out from under the bike and naturally leans the bike into the corner. After the bike is leaned into the corner pressure needs to be released from the handlebars and the front tire finds its own position to maintain the lean angle that it was left at. If you push the handlebars further right in a left corner the bike will lean lower to the left. If you push the handlebars left in a left corner the motorcycle will stand back up. A motorcycle gets its turning radius from its lean angle, not from how far the front tire is turned (unless you're at low speeds like in a parking lot).

Those are the basics of how a motorcycle turns but when it comes to the speed at which it can corner and how tight it can corner there are a lot of other variables which takes a lot of explaining to understand how it works.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit: Nevermind I understand what you were talking about.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 PM

holy ****, that sounds really complicated, lol, like you have to steer twice to turn? lol
Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 PM

so when you going fast left=right but really slow left=left? or is it left=right no matter what speed your going?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Yes going very slow you would turn left to go left, but that's ONLY when going VERY slow.   In reality though, you do the left=right thing without ever thinking about it, And when you tell an experienced rider about it for the first time, its likley he wont believe you till the next time they ride their motorcycle.... Its when you REALIZE you are doing it and do it on purpose that you can go from a good rider to a great rider...
Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's left = right at all times. At least with r/c bikes that is.

Your servo is setup to counter steer at all times. The loose springs in the linkage allow the bike to steer into the turn once you've leaned it over by counter steering.
Accelerate to stand the bike up and come up out of the turn.

Takes a little while to get used to...

Dave
Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 PM

sorry, i was talking about full size bikes, never had an rc bike....