RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Stripped Screws!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 05:57 PM
whitexj
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Screws!!!

whats ur guys's tips for getting stripped screws out of a car. One of my motor screws is stripped out and i dont know how to get it outta there. Any suggestions?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: Stripped Screws!!!

depending on where the screw is, the best way is to dremel a slot into the damaged head, and use a flat head screw driver to remove it.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:27 PM
whitexj
My Feedback: (1)

its flat agianst the chassis. At least one of them is. Theres like 3.lol. I guess ill have to be real careful.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:23 PM
rocd

I just had the same problem on my RC10 GT motor mounts this weekend. I had to cut slots into the screw with a Dremel too---be careful!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:25 AM
dagass

When using a standard size cutting disk that comes with the Dremel to slot the heads in the screw, chances are better than average that you will also end up getting the chassis. When I strip a screw head, I take a new cutting disk and start cutting into an old pair of pliers that I have lying around. By doing this, the hardened steel of the pliers will wear down the cutting disk from it's regular size (about the size of a quarter) to somewhere around the size of a dime or smaller. In using the smaller radiused cutting wheel, not only do you greatly reduce the chance of cutting the chassis, you are also able to cut a deeper slot in the screw head so you get better bite with the screwdriver.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:14 PM
teamsquirreltail

We had this problem on my friends Rush. The heads on the engine mount screws were stripped. We took a drill and drilled them out. Worked like a charm
Old 12-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Nitrofreak_105

you can also get these things that dig into the screw and take it out
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a164628.html
try this
Old 12-10-2003, 12:14 PM
rszanti

I had the same problem with the Ball Studs in my Losi suspension arms. I broke the balls off leaving just the screw (4-40) buried in the arm. I tried slotting them with the Dremel (got some pretty deep cuts) but couldn't get the screws out with a jewelers screwdriver.

So I tried a very small drill with my Dremel. The drill ran in about 1/8", hung up in the screw and then twisted the screw out the opposite side ! I did it with a total of three screws and it worked like a charm each time. That was with, I believe, a standard carbon steel Ball Stud in graphite arms. Not sure how it would work in an aluminum chassis.