Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

Actually the plastic diff housings are sufficient. As far as shimming, really it will vary from vehicle to vehicle, and diff to diff. However, 4 shims does sound about right, I can't actually remember how many I put in mine but I know it was either 3 or 4. Just put them in, set the diff in the case, lube and close it up, then spin the pinion shaft and if it is too tight, remove one. If too loose, obviously the opposite.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:42 AM

Guess if you were looking into buggy shocks it would depend on which buggy they're from as you would have to figure out the correct length. For example, my e-maxx has a longer travel than the mt2, but the shocks are about 3/4 of an inch shorter. However, they do work ( for the rear at least as that is what I have on the rear of the mt2 at the moment) but they probably won't work for the front as they are about an 1/8 inch wider than the mt2 shocks. Either way, these are the shocks I have for the mt2... front http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHSR4&P=Z and rear http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHSR5&P=Z
Old 01-31-2006, 08:15 AM

does anyone have experience with this shock set from asiatees and if the qaulity is worth the price
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54771.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	399100  
Old 01-31-2006, 11:38 AM

Hey guys,

Aint been on here for ages and nor have i had my ride out so it needed some TLC.

Can you lot with your mighty wisdom come to my aid once again.....

I bought theses---- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYU5&P=X (HPI Axle 5x36x7mm)

For the front and back as mine were looking worse for ware. I also bought some new (straight) dog bones.

However... the Axles that are on the diffs are these ones--http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFYU4&P=X

Which are a whole 10mm smaller in diameter, meaning my new dog bones wont fit!!!! so i have spents ages chagning both front and rear axles and then gone to put it all back together and now cant use it!!!! im getting withdrawal symptons as it has been the winter over here in the Uk and I aint had her out unning for about 6 months now.
Can any one please help??

Cheers
Old 01-31-2006, 11:53 AM

I think I've actually melted 4 or 5 diff cases with my 18ss, but the heavy duty diff gears supplied by tower hold up fine. Its just a matter of switching out the diff casing every couple of runs. 4-5 x $5 is still cheaper than the $27 dollar a piece alloy ones. Maybe I should use a little more lube? Alloy parts are way overrated, it adds way to much weight to the car, so unless your just bashing into everything you see its still cheaper to run on plastic parts. I've bought maybe 5 different pieces of alloy for this nitro and the only ones I've left on are the front A arms and C hubs. (The parts I break the most in jumps)
Old 01-31-2006, 01:05 PM

Think you may be a little confused on these. The axles you linked are the axles for the front only. These are the rear ones http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYU6&P=Z The measurements aren't 10 mm in diameter difference, that is the length of the axles. Those are the correct diff cups though.

Brignola85: How are you melting diff cases? Where is it melting at? Sounds crazy but are you even using bearings? In the year I've had my mt2, I have only replaced the diff cases once. The only reason I even replaced them is because the threads were getting worn out from taking them apart and cleaning them. You should definitely be lubing the bevel, pinion, and spur gears. This is a good lube for the bearings http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJY55&P=ML It may seem expensive, but this little bottle will last forever. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJH95&P=7 This is the grease I use on my bevel, pinion, and spur gears in the diffs and it works great as well. Just don't overdo it or it won't allow the diffs to operate as smoothly as possible since it's kinda thick, but not so thin like specific diff lubes that will just run out of the case and render the lubing useless.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:38 PM

Cheers CSMT2, but i got the ones that states for the front and for the rear, however they are bigger than the ones that were already fitted to my stock MT2 and the cup soze is bigger than what is on the Diffs. Can we get bigger ones for the diffs??
Old 01-31-2006, 04:45 PM

Unless you're using custom dogbones, then the axles I listed above will work as well as the diff shafts you listed. They all have a 7mm cup which is the diameter of the stock dogbones. The 5mm measurment is the diameter of the shaft, and the others, 26, 36, and 41, are the lengths of the axles and shaft. Just for clarity, I will list everything together that I am talking about.
diff shafts http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYU4&P=Z
FRONT axles http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYU5&P=Z
REAR axles http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYU6&P=Z
The front and rear axles are NOT interchangeable, due to length needed to go through their respective hubs and still have the length necessary to thread on the wheel nut. Also they will not work by switching because the inner bearing on the front hub has a larger internal diameter than the inner bearing on the rear(10mm for the front inner compared to 5mm for the rear inner)
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM

The ones you have listd above are the ones that i have bought, however the dogbones that i have fit these perfect but not the dif shafts? strange? unless i have bought diferent diff shafts in the past? can you get smaller ones?? the cup size on the axles you have listed above are definately bigger than the cups i have on my diffs as the dog bones fit the axles nice and snug but do not fit the diff shaft at all.... strange..

But thank you your help
Old 01-31-2006, 05:55 PM

these stock parts are starting to annoy me ,if its not one thing its another ,cheap plastic wheel hubs for some reason one of my rear wheel hubs got chewed up on the inner side is there supposed to be a washer in between the rim and the rear hub
Old 01-31-2006, 06:47 PM

tried to fire up the ol' mt2 today for the first time and it wouldn't start. all batteries are fully charged (glow ignitor, reciever and transmitter batteries) and i used a cordless power drill instead of the rotostart (put the torque all the way down to its lowest setting) to turn the engine over. nothin happened, changed the glow plug, still nothing. anybody know what could be the prob?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:18 PM

Aight, that's what I was wondering. The diff shafts you have could be from the mt1. I know when I ordered heavy duty gears the first time, got the black ones instead of the silver. The black ones are for the mt1 and the ball cup for the pinion shaft is way too small to fit the mt2 dogbone. This could be what you are having problems with is that you have diff shafts for the mt1 or mt racer which are only a 5mm cup for the dogbones instead of the updated mt2's 7mm.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:21 PM

Is the glowplug good? Check for fuel in the carb. Does the drill spin fast enough? Check those three and you should find your problem. If not, turn your idle screw a little more rich to get the extra fuel till it warms up.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:03 PM

yep, i checked the glow plug, even put in a new one to see if i notieced any difference. made sure it was primed, actually flooded it twice. drill was on high, so i got it to spin fast enough. so i might just have to richen it. i left it at hobbytown today, and the guy said he'll get it started for me. but richening it could be the answer. i'll find out tomorrow, pickin it up after class tomorrow. callin in to work tomorrow. "i aint feelin good, my uhhh, arthritis in my index finger is kickin in, i'll be in friday"
Old 01-31-2006, 09:17 PM

thanks csmt2 ..ill look into it.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM

did u find anything out on those asia tees shock sets mt2nitronut???. they look cool..lol just trying to find some shocks to sport on the track next time. DOes anyone know what criteria or specs the shocks need to have to fit on the MT2? (front and rear).

By the way does anyone see anything wrong with running buggy tires on the MT2.. I accidentally got some like a retard and have been running them. They are pro line and actually perform pretty awesome, but at the same time my car runs ridiculously low because the tires are so freakin small. Do bigger tires run better or should I just adjust my ride height?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 PM

no not yet but i think i,m going to take the chance they look pretty good for the 2 set price,might have to change the shock oil but hey to me as long as its works i dont race ,just bash and rip for fun even tho i would like to race ,that would be cool just dont know where to start ,i guess i already have learning all about nitro trucks ups and downs is the beginning i guess. hey what do those tires look like
might look cool with smaller set in the front lol
ORIGINAL: c_razykev

did u find anything out on those asia tees shock sets mt2nitronut???. they look cool..lol just trying to find some shocks to sport on the track next time. DOes anyone know what criteria or specs the shocks need to have to fit on the MT2? (front and rear).

By the way does anyone see anything wrong with running buggy tires on the MT2.. I accidentally got some like a retard and have been running them. They are pro line and actually perform pretty awesome, but at the same time my car runs ridiculously low because the tires are so freakin small. Do bigger tires run better or should I just adjust my ride height?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 PM

hey, thanks man. They seem pretty nice and cheaper than buying the hpi rear and front shock sets too. yeah, i dont race either, I kind of just mess around with my roommates because they all have rcs too so I got into it maybe 4 1/2 month's ago. I have a membership at the track here in Santa Barbara. About 50% I take a trip out there I dont even get to run on the track because of a problem or frquency interference, but im getting a hold of it now. Yeah, I'm still trying to get familiar with my car and rc cars period, but yeah I already love to mod them..lol But yeah, anyways here are those tires I bought. tried to post just the pic, but dont know how so heres the link. Look at how it clearly says "buggy tires" on there..lol..but they still get major traction!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDX75&P=FR
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2006, 09:53 PM

well, i sold myself short on that one, i posted that pic right!

whooo hooo
Old 01-31-2006, 09:57 PM

lol hey there not to bad i would run them on the front of my mt2,do those rims fit the mt2 without mods or is it just the tires you running

well, i sold myself short on that one, i posted that pic right!

whooo hooo
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM

yeah, im not running those rims. But the rims I got I had to get different adapters.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:14 PM

You think running those on the front and then some regular 2.2" truck tires in the back would work better? It definitely would look kinda cool I guess. Have u ever used that set up?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:28 PM

oh i,m not sure if it will run better or be better but you never know unless its tried.no i havent but i like the look with it higher in the rear,just my oppinion on how i like it
i might try it just for the hell of it creations,its like me adding more shocks for jumping and bashing .

You think running those on the front and then some regular 2.2" truck tires in the back would work better? It definitely would look kinda cool I guess. Have u ever used that set up?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:01 PM

It would work as long as the tires in the rear are the same height. Being as the mt2 is 4wd, all the tires need to be the same height. If not, you would have the rear end outrunning the front since they are traveling farther than the front tires per engine revolution. The most likely effect would either be the front tires constantly spinning while the rears are not, or the fronts basically dragging the rears which would be acting like applying the brakes. Other than tear up one of the two sets, it might just wind up messing up something in the drivetrain or mabey melting the clutches or spur gear. But then again, you could just try it.

This is why in a full size vehicle, you don't run different size tires if it's in 4wd, nor do you run a donut spare that is smaller than the tire on the same axle of a limited slip axle. Both result in terrible holes in your pocket from the cash running out.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:42 PM

dam another great tip ,where is my head these days ,lol up on a cloud maybe of frabricated looks
thanks again cs,anyone ever think of frabricating tandem tires and rims for snow ,i know i have and i will do it just for kicks and if the creation works i,llhave fun in the snow as well

ORIGINAL: CS MT2

It would work as long as the tires in the rear are the same height. Being as the mt2 is 4wd, all the tires need to be the same height. If not, you would have the rear end outrunning the front since they are traveling farther than the front tires per engine revolution. The most likely effect would either be the front tires constantly spinning while the rears are not, or the fronts basically dragging the rears which would be acting like applying the brakes. Other than tear up one of the two sets, it might just wind up messing up something in the drivetrain or mabey melting the clutches or spur gear. But then again, you could just try it.

This is why in a full size vehicle, you don't run different size tires if it's in 4wd, nor do you run a donut spare that is smaller than the tire on the same axle of a limited slip axle. Both result in terrible holes in your pocket from the cash running out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.