RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 04:04 PM
slipknot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

Im getting a losi xxx-nt the guy ran 30% nitro in it, would it be alright if i swiched to 20%, Cuz ive got 2 gallons of 20%.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:15 PM
InfinitySpeed04

Default RE: HELP

You will have to retune the engine and I thought that I read somewhere that you should only go up when changing new fuels. Maybe I am wrong but I know you will have to tune it to get it to run properly on new fuel.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:10 PM
losixxx-nt

yes you will have to retune it.
yes you have to change the #of head shims
what engine is in this xxx-nt
Old 08-18-2005, 08:17 PM
SkrapIron

Yes, and No. You cannot always go backwards. The truck was broken in using the 30% nitro, that means, it is broken in and tuned for a very high compression ratio, and a higher operating temperature. If you go to a lower nitro content, your truck will not develop enough peak power, since the engine is set for much higher compression. It will require a second break-in period to get used to the new settings.

An engine designed to run on fuel with 20 percent nitro is configured for a certain compression ratio and a fuel/air ratio that provides ideal performance. Introducing a considerably higher concentration of nitro allows a greater overall amount of fuel volume. It can result in higher compression (air is the only compressible component in the fuel mix), detonation (when fuel explodes rather than burns) and higher operating temperatures. These outcomes show the fuel exceeds the design limitations of the engine. Even if none of these symptoms are obvious, combustion is compromised, and that prevents fuel from being completely burned. It can create an unstable idle and erratic fuel-mixture settings. These conditions are common in engines running on higher than recommended percentages of nitromethane

You can sefely use fuel about 5 percent both above and below the recommended percentage of nitro you can have in your fuel before engine performance will be noticeably affected. If a manufacturer recommends 20 percent nitro, you can get away with 25 percent. Beyond that, and you are likely to wind up with an engine that runs hotter, gets poor fuel economy and is more difficult to tune.

Attempting to use 10% lower nitro content than the engine was broken in with, will result in a second break in. However, internal components are already worn, and this additional break-in will potentially damage the engine beyond repair.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:39 PM
The_Collector

I never had problems going up or down in nitro. Only needed carb adjustment.