Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

How much space do you need for a good off-road track?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

How much space do you need for a good off-road track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Deanwvu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much space do you need for a good off-road track?

Hey guys.

Seriously considering building an off-road track in my backyard at some point

Its not a huge yard, but it may do, I think. Also a few trees back there... I know thats asking for trouble, but if its designed right I think I can avoid em...

Anyone else build a backyard off-road track? How much area did you take up?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:12 AM
squeezemetim

Default RE: How much space do you need for a good off-road track?

we built one and it took up about an acre but its a pretty kick ass track
we are getting a timing system in soon so as we can hold a national at our track soon as well

heres a link to the track

http://www.bolwextric.co.uk/rem/pic.html
Old 09-06-2005, 08:41 AM
squeezemetim

hope thats any good
Old 09-06-2005, 11:10 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

You might find this article interesting.
http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/howto_track.asp
Old 09-06-2005, 11:33 AM
avg_joe

I built a small 30 feet by 80 feet track in my backyard. I wish I would have had more space(is there ever enough?), but I have hours upon hours of fun!! I have found that I break alot less parts, and have alot more fun while improving my driving skill. I made all of the jumps easy to overclear so that you have to exercise a little control, and the sweepers are awful fun to pitch through.
The pic is 2 pics that I joined together. I couldn't get the whole thing in one picture from the peak of the roof of my house, so the perspective is off a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19245.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	320421  
Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 AM
zabooza

ORIGINAL: avg_joe

I built a small 30 feet by 80 feet track in my backyard. I wish I would have had more space(is there ever enough?), but I have hours upon hours of fun!! I have found that I break alot less parts, and have alot more fun while improving my driving skill. I made all of the jumps easy to overclear so that you have to exercise a little control, and the sweepers are awful fun to pitch through.
The pic is 2 pics that I joined together. I couldn't get the whole thing in one picture from the peak of the roof of my house, so the perspective is off a little bit.
I really like that track design.... but 30x80 seems a bit small. Maybe it's just me...

Old 09-06-2005, 11:48 AM
avg_joe

Thank you for that link. I found it informative. Dang, and it turns out I'm in non-compliance. No official championships in my backyard.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:53 AM
avg_joe

No, it isn't just you...It's small. 15 second laps. but once I got the 3 pond/3 waterway system in the front yard, and 5 flowerbed on the side yard connected by a flagstone path, and a couple more flowerbeds, and a garden on the other side yard, I didn't have a whole lot of available space left. I would love to purchase some acreage a couple miles out of town and really put something together, but until I stumble accross that deal of a lifetime, then I am stuck with this.[8D]
Old 09-06-2005, 12:03 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: avg_joe

No, it isn't just you...It's small. 15 second laps. but once I got the 3 pond/3 waterway system in the front yard, and 5 flowerbed on the side yard connected by a flagstone path, and a couple more flowerbeds, and a garden on the other side yard, I didn't have a whole lot of available space left. I would love to purchase some acreage a couple miles out of town and really put something together, but until I stumble accross that deal of a lifetime, then I am stuck with this.[8D]
Get rid of the flowerbeds, ponds, waterways and path! No just kidding I think the track is still pretty neat. All I do is bash on the lawn. I did find this tack about 50 miles away. Down side price of gas!!!!!!!!
http://www.boyztoyzrc.com/
Old 09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
avg_joe

How about a bmx track? If you have one of those nearby, it is fun to session on some of those jumps. The drawback to that is usually the jumps aren't optimized for RC, but still fun and a challenge.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:42 PM
ICrashThings

50 feet of straight away, 1 jump, one landing area.

done.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:45 PM
zabooza

ORIGINAL: ICrashThings

50 feet of straight away, 1 jump, one landing area.

done.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
stavman11

This is my track, have a few updated jumps and burms but ya get the idea. Its like 60x150 ish, nice track for me, its a blast. RC10 is a little slippery on the sandy surface but my MGT kicks arse

Old 09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
GTdirtracer

i hate all of you with your tracks in your back yards or like one block away just kidding i used to have a track in this cow pasture that conects to my neighbor hood and my neighbor would let me use his hose for the track and i made the track in like 3 weeks and it was better than any track neer me but the city owns the land and lets the farmer live there or sumthing like that but the farmer was an @$$ and would run my jumps and burms over with his truck and steal my stovels that i had hidden out there. i hate that guy lol
Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 AM
avg_joe

Stav,
I am so jealous!!! I wish I had 9 acres and a front-end loader
It looks like you have made considerable progress since your last pics. It looks good!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:23 PM
stavman11

Thanks, it even looks better today. These are like 2 months old. all jumps are plywood, right sweeper is burmed more and woops added. Jumps are bigger and higher Its looking better and better and makes for a VERY fun day

Love it
Old 09-07-2005, 11:36 PM
avg_joe

What have you done to control vegetation? I used that season long Ortho complete vegetation killer. It is supposed to keep everything gone, but some of the real hardy weeds still try to come back. When it is only a few, it isn't so bad just pulling them. Maybe next spring I will start to plant irish moss on the back of the berms, and in the infield to control weeds, so I don't lose so much dirt to the wind, and make it look a little better. I'm also thinking about some corrugated tile around some of the outside edges.(but that would cost money[:@], so far it has just cost me the price of a couple tanks of gas in the old lawn tractor with a little trailer.) I would like to see it finished off nice to blend with the rest of the yard.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29478.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	321226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14411.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	321227  
Old 09-08-2005, 08:22 AM
stavman11

I tried the ortho as well as roundup, roundup dosent last, Ortho worked pretty well but it still is a tuff thing to controll. Not sure what i will do long term. Irish moss is a great idea, mine is a field and field grass and weeds so dosent need to be as pretty. Im working on trimming track in RR ties and more 4" ADS pipe, will till the edges with my 18" rear tine tiller. scraping track with box scrapper works well also but am looking for a bar with chains like i see on PRO tracks to grade it out. I was thinking last night about getting a load of topsoil for a couple turns, I have a very sandy/loamy soil and the hill and burm is just plain sand. My rc10gt does great in all but those areas so would like to make it a little bit better.

All in all it has changed my RC world having my own track, wanna build a hill climb as well. Now I have a few buddies looking to save money, Ya know kids and all LOL, so they can buy one as well

Love this hobby, any questions let me know love ta help and get help as well

Stav