Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 AM
JonKBMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Oh dear - so I grabbed my camera and was letting my sister drive the FS so I could snap pics. Well, all is well until it rolled over upside down. This is not usually an issue, but then all of a sudden it stalled like bam, off. Usually it has no problem running upside down a little lean. So I ran over to pull start it, and the pull start was stuck! So I figured it was the string all bound up - nope. Then I figured ahh I had this issue before with the clutch maybe the clutch came apart, nope.

Turns out, after removing the cylinder head and pull start, something definitely got in the motor and scraped the crap out of the cylinder sleeve and piston. It could have been in the motor for a long time and just never mattered until the car was upside down like that, but anyway, done is done.

At a minimum I could probably replace the cylinder and piston and get back in it. I might replace the rod as well just cus. But damn, getting the cylinder sleeve out of the block was REALLY difficult. I tore the crap out of the sleeve and the block has some marks from twisting the sleeve out. I think it's ok, but yeah it was tough.

Should I rebuild it or put another engine in it? It ran so good! I am not a hardcore racer or anything I just like ripping around my yard - what do you guys suggest? This had maybe 20 tanks through it
Old 05-13-2009, 07:43 AM
fasty

you can get a new motor from hpi for 65 buck if you sent your old 1 to them.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM
JonKBMW

ORIGINAL: fasty

Does it matter that the cylinder sleeve is destroyed removing it?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

Has anyone here every done that through HPI? I was considering does that for my Firestorm seeing as the engine has a ton of us out of it and I figure it will need to be replaced soon.

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
bushhiker

ORIGINAL: disjaukifa

Has anyone here every done that through HPI? I was considering does that for my Firestorm seeing as the engine has a ton of us out of it and I figure it will need to be replaced soon.

Thanks
Disjaukifa
This would give you a good excuse to buy a OS CV-R I got that engine and man that thing has power. It blows the stock motor away (defently beats a Jato)

Its on Tower for $130 (worth every penny)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP7&P=SM
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: bushhiker

ORIGINAL: disjaukifa

Thanks
Disjaukifa
This would give you a good excuse to buy a OS CV-R I got that engine and man that thing has power. It blows the stock motor away (defently beats a Jato)

Its on Tower for $130 (worth every penny)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP7&P=SM

Its a nice looking engine but that is spending double for a new engine from HPI . . .

-Disjaukifa
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 PM
nitro-rob

You can get a new G3 for 75 on ebay plus shipping and then keep the old engine for parts. I am definitely thinking about an OS .18 CV-R or LRP for my storm and believe the money is worth it.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
JCMINIS

I just installed the savage clutch with alumin shoes, upgraded digi servos,and a HPI hump pack.I have 2 quarts of fuel and I dont have to work tomorrow,cant wait.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
nitro-rob

Enjoy! I don't have to go to work tomorrow and will work in some RS4 and MT driving. Both are for troubleshooting reasons, though, but if I get what I want done with them I will get the storm out as well. Its been sitting clean and ready for weeks.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 PM
JCMINIS

Will do !! I have to get that switch guard picture up that I made,it turned out pretty cool. I'll see if my camera has batteries.......
Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Road Warrior
My Feedback: (1)

I have seen it done before and they are pretty handy. I hit a curb last week so hard going backwards that it actually flipped the switch off. Could have used it then
Old 05-14-2009, 07:24 AM
fasty

I had to hard wire mine I broke a bulk head that way.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

we always eliminate the switch, one less thing to go wrong!! just plug in the battery and go. ...... no worries!!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did some work on the cylinder liner of my G3 engine on my FS. What a difference it made in the top end. The high speed needle is about 1/16th out from flush now and I am using Omega 10% nitro. The hole shot on this truggy (out of the corners) is amazing now. All I have done is cut two fangs on each transfer port and two on the boost port, with some polishing on the cuts to smooth things out. Nothing short of amazing with such minute cuts.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
JCMINIS

Any steering linkage upgrades ? Mine seems to have some play and I want something stronger/better....My main concerns are the components mounted inbetween the upper and lower deck just infront of the servo.....Thanks for any tips or ideas.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No steering upgrades, all the ball joints are tight as of now.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 PM
disjaukifa

Well I got my brake parts in today (hahah they flew off the other day because the e-clip was missing) and also the new painted HPI DSX body came in today also. I only bashed around the yard for one tank but )#*$# I had a blast. My wife and son where outside with me and it was just a whole lot of fun. After my run my wife then used her Traxxas Slash!!!

I got the Firestorm used from a friend, but I have basically gone through the whole truggy to make sure its good and ready to roll and today was the first day I got to really test it.

NOW the firestorm has not been tuned, I am running rich something crazy to the point that when I started the FS up, I would pull the trigger and the engine would cut off because it had to much nitro in it. I just got it to the point that it would stay on. I then proceed to bash around my yard, engine stalling only once and I think it was my fault. The new brakes worked amazingly well. It was nice to be able to just open the throttle up and then slam the brakes and not have to worry about hitting something.

I look forward to tuning it to get better performance and run time out of the Firestorm. So far this is my favorite nitro I have ever used.

If you want I can post pictures.

Thanks guys!!!

-Disjaukifa
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 PM
nitro-rob

Controlliner - send photos of the sleeve, I am curious.
I had an MT and RS4 out today and will take the storm out next.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:22 AM
JUBE

Since I can improve the brakes and the direction of the fire? Thank
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM
disjaukifa

Does anyone know some know a good aftermarket cooling head to keep the engine temperates low on the Firestorm. I'm curious to hear if anyone has found one that really helped lower their engine temps.

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM
nitro-rob

Are you having a hard time with temperatures? What kind of temperatures are you getting? I switched from 20 to 25% nitro and everything runs cooler - almost too cool.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Are you having a hard time with temperatures? What kind of temperatures are you getting? I switched from 20 to 25% nitro and everything runs cooler - almost too cool.
Yeah I do, it seems every Nitro I run has a problem with temperature unless i run extremely rich. I am constantly seeing 260 ~ 280, when I do, I shut it off and cool down. I even say 298 once, and I shut the engine off fast. Now I just have it so rich that it stays cool but I would like to have it a little more tuned. I am running 20% O'Donnells at the moment, would you recommend 25%?

Also I heard that to run cooler you would want to run a lower nitro like 16%, wouldn't running 25% make it run harder and hotter?

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Road Warrior
My Feedback: (1)

Today is a good day fellow stormers. Yesterday i got the video of the big block storm beating a jato. This race was looks close, but I still win. There is another one that I need to edit down that I leaned out the low speed 1/4 turn and just blow him away by 15 feet at the end. There will be more to come soon with a rc 10 gt with a 18 tz in it. [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm6dLf-xhFk[/link]
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
nitro rc

so how many of you have roto starts on your storms. my pullstart broke last time i went to use it and can't decide whether to replace the pullstart, get the rotostart, or get the tiger drive backplate and use a cordless drill. Any input would be nice.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:58 PM
nitro-rob

I have a roto backplate and mostly use a drill instead of the HPI system. One another truck I have the pull start. I like both - the pull start is one less battery and system to prepare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.