RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:38 PM
wipeout2097

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Hello guys,
Today I have finally managed to get my Firestorm running again and the OS .18 TZ is a beast of an engine.
The torque is just amazing, it would spin the tires from the very first rpm's untill up in the rpm range.
The V-Groove tires will be ripped in no time and the ground assault tires that usually grip very well on asphalt can't cope with the power, they are leaving black lines on the tarmac all the time. It's simply amazing.
I have switched to Mugen Seiki 25% fuel and it behaves very well.
It's like having one of those overpowered tuned cars that you can't really use on the roads but always enjoy the feeling they give.
Tomorrow I'll have another short session just to fine tune the engine.

Cheers
Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 PM
nitro-rob

I've read you need to rebreak it in but it doesn't make sense to do it because if the engine runs at the same temperature it should expand the same regardless of the fuel you run. I switch between 20 and 25% occasionally on all my engines and have never had a problem.

Wipeout - glad you are enjoying the TZ. I hear a lot of good things about that engine in the MT2 thread. Do you find you get better control with that engine? My storm handles much better with the big block in it.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:26 PM
wipeout2097

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob
Wipeout - glad you are enjoying the TZ. I hear a lot of good things about that engine in the MT2 thread. Do you find you get better control with that engine? My storm handles much better with the big block in it.
Actually the storm is more difficult to control but since it's been only a day I may have to adjust to this new level of power; however I think that the reason you have better control over your car with the big block in it is because of the added weight from the bigger engine that translates into more grip on the rear wheels.
I guess that some good tires are needed to keep mine in check.
Will keep you updated with my findings.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Kodiac400

Hey gang. I'm just wondering if I can just order the rear wing on my storm. Mine is getting in pretty bad shape. I looked through the manual and don't see a part #. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Marc
Old 08-16-2009, 02:26 PM
wileecoyote
My Feedback: (1)

KODIAK, I dont think the wing comes as a seperate part. Its usually packaged with the new bodies Ive seen ready to paint along with the sticker pack for the body. You might as well order a new body and paint it to your liking. The wing bolts to the body so it gets painted to match. Maybe post a "wanted" ad for a body/wing in the ad part of this forum. Best of luck. BUSHHIKER, I wouldnt worry about the switch. Just try to pay attention to motor temp and reactions that occur. Make sure your plenty rich when starting out and then tune to the fuel. Be aware though, Ive had the motor respond rather quickly to changes in fuel and I always do a few small hot laps to insure I dont have a problem. Okay, Im outee to chase the locals around with the Sav. Wish me luck..............................hehehe!
Old 08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
wipeout2097

I have finished fine-tuning my engine today and it's running like a dream, I'm very pleased with this little beast
I took a couple of photos of the car but they are not really good quality, I [link=http://picasaweb.google.com/wipeoutxlx/Firestorm#]LINKED[/link] them here because I wanted to use Google's Picasa Web.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:45 PM
standbackimapro

Hey guys i need some help i took my engine off and i removed the collar that holds tje throttle rod to the servo when i tried putting it back together it seems that the servo cant Pull the throttle lever down on an angle i put it back on the same way it came off
Old 08-16-2009, 06:33 PM
wileecoyote

STAND, is the servo arm in the same position on the servo it was from original? You may need to center the servo with the arm off and then put it on in the right position. The servo has travel in both directions but may have been maxed out in one way of travel. What did you find out with your motor? Get sand in it when the air cleaner came off? How about the steering problem? Get it sorted out? Were you able to figure out what we were saying about tightening up the servo saver? I know, ALOT of questions but you didnt fill us in after posting the last time.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 AM
hollow_point

ORIGINAL: wileecoyote

Got a good discussion going here and want to add my 2 cents for what they are worth. Maybe you want to soften up the shocks a bit so there is more weight applied to the tires therefore aiding in traction. Lowering the truck will help in that aspect too. The truck will suffer a bit from this but will aid in traction. I agree with NITROROB, the pin tires are probably the best for loose dirt or even hardpack, HPI knows this from racing. The Geo's arent really a race tire but do a fine job for bashing. The road tires are just that, FOR THE ROAD. They work great and make the truck handle well because of the low profile and tread pattern. If it were me I would go to pins and maybe try different cuts. Like remove pins from different spots giving away traction on the sides or even in the middle. It will take alot of playing around to find what works on the track. But remember, track surfaces change almost as much as the weather. The rears are not as hard to figure but the front will give you fits. Pushing in the corners is a bit tough to work out as if one side is lifting in the corners that tire is no longer in play so the other side has to work twice as hard. In that case youd need to tighten or firm up the side that does the most work. But, your not running an oval so it cant be firmed up to the point its no good going around the corner in the opposite direction. This brings up the idea of throttle control. I like to drop off the gas just a bit when going into a corner thus setting the suspension for the turn.Which also brings up a good point, dont hammer the throttle, ease into it or roll on the gas. Dont just drop the hammer, ease it on. This is one reason driving is a tough skill to master. There is alot of little nuances that make a good driver good. Knowing the track is very important. Knowing braking points or I like to call them throttle point as I hardly use the brakes. It takes time and patience to get it right, otherwise everyone would be a master at driving. Take your time, be patient, and take notes. Thats right, NOTES. What works, what doesnt. If you run one track and can get practice time, do just that, PRACTICE. You will be amazed at how much it will help. Remember, its not the fastest truck that makes the truck fast, its the driver. Do you watch Nascar or any other type of racing? Its usually the winner that knows his car and the track inside and out. So, getting back to tires, yes, pinners all around may be whats needed. Try it and see what happens. I still have my stock pins that are in great shape, you can have them if you pay for shipping, thus giving you another set and the wheels will go with them too. Shoot me a PM and let me know. That said, I wish you nothing but success. Let me know how it works out as I am always interested in learning from others experiences.
lots of good info in there wiley, much appreciated. i think im gonna try playing wiht the suspension layout first, like u said in a previous post, and see where that takes me. im slowly getting better around the local dirt track, so it gets easier and easier each time. i just feel like i lose traction sometimes when i shouldnt, you know. thanks for the offer, i may take u up on that. for now i wanna see if i can get used to this setup. if it just doesnt work, pin tires all around will be my next move. hopefully ill have a bit more time this week to go out to the track and get some more practice in. thanks again for all the help, ive learnt quite a bit
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM
firestorm490

hey nitro rob what type of drill do you use that has enought rpm to start the your engins?? i just got my parts today and i installed them but didnt have batteries so i couldnt try and run it but our ridged drill is kinda heavy to carry around so i was looking for a cordless screwdriver (a real small one) to fit in my box thats why i need to know the rpm
so thanks in advance
Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 PM
nitro-rob

I use a regular cheap cordless two speed drill in second gear that is rated at 1350 RPM. Its nowhere near the speed of a plug in drill and works perfectly.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 PM
wileecoyote

HOLLOW, you are welcome to ANY type of help I can give. That goes for anyone here. Im glad that I CAN help. I have learned quite a bit here and feel like its my duty to pass on my good fortune to all. For the most part we are all very fortunate to be able to chat on this forum and tap all the good info we get. I love this place for that reason, people are willing to share and help each other out. Wish the world would take that stance, we wouldnt have such a screwed up situation like Iraq, Afghanistan or any of the other political misfortunes weve had, ya know? Okay, enough ranting, more topic talk. I got closer to making that roll cage fit the Storm tonight. Had to do some cutting with the Dremel but am closer than ever to a finished product. Not only does it look cool but is functional and I feel like I wont have a problem when the truck rolls over. Because of the speed this thing develops I worry about that motor. Man is it quick!!! Even at half throttle it kicks some serious ass. I now know what NITRO ROB and ROADWARRIOR were talking about with the tires getting killed quickly. The thing leaves gnarly looking black marks everywhere. Ill be in the market for some new ones real soon. I think I may go the foam route that ROAD went so it grips and can handle a bit better. Its insane and I LOVE IT!!! The weather was crap today so I stayed indoors and worked on the cage here and there with the help of my daughter, Lindsay. She likes to tinker with me and loves being able to help out. Really means alot to me as shes getting older every minute and dad wont be so cool when the boys start chasing her. I got just the right size shotgun for them, BIG!! Okay, back to work. ya'll be safe, shiny side up, hammer down.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 PM
nitro-rob

I agree, this is a great place to share etc..., my rc experience and the quality of my trucks definitely benefits from it.

I havn't been for a drive in a while because work has been hell and will be for a few more weeks but did this tonight, thanks to someone in the MT2 thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49451.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1260547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84597.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1260548  
Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 PM
hollow_point

im seeing that more and more on heatsinks in here. whats the purpose of doing this?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 PM
JUBE

nitro rob what springs used on the shocks??
Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Road Warrior

I started doing the zip ties on the head after one upside down slide where I destroyed a block. It will take most of the damage from the slide and it will prevent you from tearing the mounting tabs off of the block like i did.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
hollow_point

oh ok, but how do the zipties actually protect the block in a flip though?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Road Warrior

Wilee man the foams will be a change that you won't regret. They last so much longer than rubber tires and you can save yourself so much more money to do something else to your truck. But if speed is what you want you can use the jaco's for the jato but if you do i recommend getting the low pro ones. They have less foam so they are not as tall but you can control your truck instead of sending it into major cartwheels that just break stuff. I speak from experience. Make sure that you take a dremmel and round off the outside of the tires a little bit more to stop them from chunking out too. I have made some more radical changes to this thing and all I can say is that it is a absolute drag beast. The suspension, motor, and drivetrain have been reworked even further and it only looks like a firestorm from the dual deck chassis. I have been too lazy to take pictures but am definantly happy with the out come.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Road Warrior

When it is sliding the edge of the top fin will catch a crack and put all of the force on you investment with the zip tie on it will have something else to grab instead your head and it will just slide and maybe break just the tie instead. trust me it is safer to do this than not. look at my pic in my profile if you want to see what happens when you don't
Old 08-22-2009, 06:44 AM
wipeout2097

Yo guys, I have a side question: I'm trying to post some pictures (and I did this in a previous post) but now I can't seem to find the option to upload pictures to the forum, just to link images and that's it.
I'm not that ignorant when it comes to computers but I simply can't find the upload option anymore. I have checked the account settings maybe I reached my upload limit and to delete old pictures but that isn't the case either.
Can anyone provide some info please ? 
Sorry that I used this thread for those questions but it seemed easier to ask some people that I'm already familiar with.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2009, 07:49 AM
nitro-rob

The shocks are GPM on the rear and team blue star on the front, both intended for the MT2. Nothing special, just low quality aluminum Chinese/HH crap. I agree with Road Warrior - it generates a bad feeling when the head of a new engine scratches and the protection provided by the straps and fuel line gives extra insurance. I don't drive on asphalt often and it doesn't matter as much, but you can see the damage on mine in the photo from the one time I did.

Wipeout - I don't know why that is happening.....stupid question, but are you hitting reply or quote to an old message when you want to post photos instead of writing a fresh message?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:06 AM
hollow_point

thanks guys, im gonna go out and buy some more fuel line, and do this today. hopefully ill be able to make it to the track as well today, its been a while
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 AM
JUBE

rob i have the opcional aluminium shocks of hpi form the fire but the The espiral are soft(smooth), You know q spiral I can put?? thanks
Old 08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
manuel frias

Has any one tried a 4 stroke converion on a fireestorm? i saw some vidoes of difrent rc cars runing them and they sound so much beter then normal 2 stroke engins. it also looks like hpi sells on for rc cars but it is kind of expensive and it only puts out .5 horse power and its rpms are preaty low compared to are normal 2 stroak engines. dose any one know of any advantages of runing four stroke instead of 2 stroke other then the much more realistic sound.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:50 PM
nitro-rob

They sound like a continuous fart to me.

4-strokes compensate for the lower revving and slower throttle response by producing a lot more torque. They also have an oil bath that needs changing so they operate in their own filth unlike a two stroke. A lot more maintenance and moving parts.

Another problem for most of them is that they are usually used in airplane applications and don't have the proper cooling head for ground use so they have to run more rich to keep them cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.