RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
ambassador27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Rob,
Sorry, I guess i need to clarify, I want to get a Savage XL cause I want another 4WD 1/8 truck to bash, I want a Jato cuz I want another 2WD 1/10th to run on-road, it's not a pi$$ing match between the two, they will be used in totally different enviroments.. I like to have different cars/trucks, I dont care who makes them, I control their fate...
Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 PM
nitro-rob

Savage spur gears won't fit, their diameter is too large to be able to mount the engine and not push the clutch bell into the top deck. That is why the revo and tnx spur were used on road and my trucks. I recommend you trying one of those, its the easiest way to go and the problems have been worked out already.

Ambassador - I know you aren't holding a pissing match, I was just dribbling a bit on traxxas.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Tempest02

Anyone have a old 3.0 they would like to get rid of , mine with 6 gallons bit the dust , the crankcase broke where it mounts to the engine mount. All i need is a shortblock lol
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
nitro-rob

Sorry to hear that but you definitely got your use out of it at six gallons. I had a new g3 with the seal on it advertised on ebay last week and took it off for my MT2 because I put the MT2 used G3 engine (that came with my FS) in my Nitro Evader.

Its a great time to do ebay - people are dumping their stuff and the bidding competition is pretty low. I picked up a CEN 7.7 monster truck with a blown engine and a bunch of goodies for a stea (winter project)l. I still am waiting for my XL, it was shipped on the 14th or 17th and isn't too late yet but I will get concerned if it takes another week.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 AM
wileecoyote
My Feedback: (1)

NITRO, if it came from the states, it will take a while to get to you. Ive had shipments from Canada take two months to get to me in Ohio. I would say three weeks would be quick. 4 or 5 about right. (to me) Either way, I wish you a quick delivery. TEMPEST, check on fleabay, I know Ive seen a few for sale there.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 AM
Tempest02

Ok ive done spotted a few on ebay im a regular. I scored a LST2 that had been upgraded and it came with a lrp 28 for $250 This firestorm is a used one i bought off ebay for $150 It only had a gallon through it when i bought it
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 AM
nitro-rob

I've purchased many things (100+) from the US over the past two years and items usually comes within five or six business days and sometimes up to eight or ten during holiday times. The nitro evader came in five and was ordered a week and a half after the XL. I am certain it took longer to get things from Canada - blame Canada post for taking forever to get it to the border! Three weeks isn't alarming and is within a reasonable time, I am just not used to this kind of wait. August is holiday month.

Good news- the CEN GST 7.7 that had a 'blown' motor simply has a threaded glow plug hole. Could have been a lot worse. Lets see how good the condition is...
Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
ro.sniper

I haven't been on in a while... is there any sort of replacement for the throttle linkage... I can't get the carb to open up all the way no matter how I adjust it. Also I have a 645MG for my brake/throttle and have striped the 24size servo adaptor, I'd like to get that replaced but I can't find the servo saver part in stock anywhere... What choices do I have?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:52 PM
nitro-rob

I assume you mean the servo horn for the servo needs replacement. Ofna makes good generic kits that can be adapted that are quite cool. There is no set kit by them for the firestorm (or anybody for that matter) but almost any generic 90 degree two arm horn will work as long as the threads match hitec. Ofna has the adapter in their kit.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:46 PM
wileecoyote

I would like to wish everyone here a safe, happy and productive Labor Day! Im gonna be running the Storm as much as possible. Roll cage is somewhat intact and operating fine. (found out after a small roll) No scratches to the cylinder head or other vital areas. So, we have a success! Yayy! I dont have an operating camera otherwise Id have pix posted. So, chime in and let me know your plans. I hope ya'll get out and burn them tires up!! Happy trails.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 PM
nitro-rob

Happy labour day. I got your message just as I was taking my savage out in the park this evening. It was a good run for 20 minutes until I destroyed a clutch bell. Thats my third hardened steel clutch bell this summer using my steel spur gear and I swear the mesh is good. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I will take the storm out tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:09 AM
buckseventysix

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while. Today I decided to throw on some Moabs on my Firestorm. I am now having braking troubles. Is it normal to experience braking degradation when upgrading to bigger tires? I took the entire tranny apart thinking that I would be able to get to the brake cylinder, but apparently that is not the case. The cylinder moves about 1mm, is that OK?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 AM
nitro-rob

Welcome. The heaving rolling mass isn't helping you. The Jato carbon fibre brake or newera models brake helps. Make sure its set up as close as possible. I don't know what you mean by cylinder. The plates should be tightened evenly and as close to the disk as possible without giving friction when the brake is disengaged. Also, make sure the servo is centered as well so that you are getting full swing on the braking stroke. I won't bore you with details of that unless you need/want to hear it.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 AM
buckseventysix

The brake cylinder/piston. It comes out about 1mm when the brake is acutated. It's what pushes on the two metal pads on either side of the brake disk. I'm not sure if it's supposed to move so little, or there is something wrong. This happens even if I actuate the brake manually (without the servo connected).

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 AM
buckseventysix

Oh and I already have the newera brake disc btw....
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 AM
nitro-rob

Mine barely moves, less than 1mm, its almost engaged when not engaged. Is the nut on top of the actuator arm tight? Mine went loose and created a lot of slop.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 AM
ro.sniper

I've ordered the generic kit from ofna for the brake and throttle... I can't wait to get it installed... In the meanwhile I put a s3003 servo from futaba that I had as a spare, and used the stock horn... Also I took my whole firestorm apart... and I'm amazed how easy it is to work on. My T-Maxx took days to put back together while the firestorm took a couple of hours for breakdown and build back up including the cleaning.

I also put 100K diff grease from Ofna and man what a difference... at least on asphalt. I haven't tried it off road.

Cheers,

Raz
Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
buckseventysix

Hi Rob,

Ok so it's normal for very small movement of that piston. I ordered an aluminum brake arm to replace the plastic actuator, since it did have some slop, even with the nut fully tightened.

I'll report back when it arrives in the mail =)
Old 09-11-2009, 07:37 AM
ro.sniper

Alright! The 100K diff grease also is making the car handle wonderfully off road. This was the best "upgrade" to the storm so far, besides the motor-saver air-filter, and the 645MG servos. My rear tires are now completely bald which makes it handle really good on a hot parking lot, but in loosely packed dirt not so much. Can I boil the tires instead of baking them?

Cheers,

Raz
Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 AM
nitro-rob

Boiling works, it just takes a lot longer.
My CEN GST 7.7 came in from ebay - very dirty and needing a lot of care but I should have the chassis done shortly after my parts order came in. It was bought last wednesday. My XL hasn't arrived yet.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:23 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi guys, I'm looking to get a Firestorm too.

The thing that I'm concerning about is the RWD. How is the traction? I used to have Slash which is RWD and because of the tiny rear tires and brushless power, it is hard to control off-road. But they are pretty good in the parking lot.

I'm looking for something in between. Both on-road and little off-road. I think Firestorm is the one for me. What do you think
Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 PM
nitro-rob

Most of the people in here won't say anything negative about the storm. The rear wheel drive is a lot of fun - I have the sister truck the MT2 and it shares the same engine and puts the power to four wheels and is more controllable but also less snappy. On road is cool for the storm but you will need on road tires that are always lower profile so you will likely want to gear the truck down for that (or any truck that you run street tires on) so take that into consideration if you want to switch between two sets of different size tires. The truck is a blast and two wheel driving is a skill on its own. Its a very solid truck.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
ro.sniper

Rear-wheel drive is an art on its own to drive. I find it a lot more fun, and when you understand the steering and throttle control they are an absolute blast. I love driving my storm now, especially after the 100K diff fluid upgrade. The car is also extremely durable and the G3.0 engine has loads of power (at least for me), but a lot of people seem to be going big block on it. I did a complete tear down of the car and put it back together after cleaning and lubing and its so easy and fun to work on.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 PM
nitro-rob

I am almost finished putting a wing on the firestorm. Just a few washers and its finished. I did it slightly different than the method posted and used a revo wing. Pictures will come when its done.
I havn't driven for almost a month other than 15 minutes with the savage before melting a spur gear. I have a MGT 4.6 and CEN Genesis 7.7 that came in used from ebay that I have spent most of my time on and I have been updating my savage with a mid tank mod and extended FLM plates. Lots of building and rebuilding but no driving....
Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 PM
wileecoyote

Ya, me too. Lotsa wrenching and no driving. Working on finalising the mounts for the roll cage. Didnt like the first or second attempt so hopefully thirds the charm. NITRO ROB, get us pix of the CEN. What motor did you put in it or did you sucessfully repair the stocker?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.