Which oil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 PM
FastNeasy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which oil...

Hi,

As some of you may no im ordering my car this week

Ive just got a question thats bugging me..

Ive bought some Automatic Transmission Fluid to use on the engine once ive finished with my car and to put it to bed

Could i use this oil with the air filter?

If not what oil would i need to use?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Nick2618

Default RE: Which oil...

why did you buy automatic tranny fluid for your rc car??? The oil you put in the engine after you are done for the day is after run oil and the air filter oil is just called airfilter oil. Just go to your lhs and ask for the stuff...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Personally I would not use transmission oil for anything on my RC vehicles. Air filter oil is very sticky so it traps the dirt and keeps it from getting in your engine. For no more then what the proper products cost and what an engines cost I will just use the proper after run oil and air filter oil. A bottle of after run oil cost around $2 to $3 and last me for 6 months to a year so I look at is as cheap insurance. All so does transmission fluid absorb moister like after run oil?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:20 PM
FastNeasy

ORIGINAL: 46u

Personally I would not use transmission oil for anything on my RC vehicles. Air filter oil is very sticky so it traps the dirt and keeps it from getting in your engine. For no more then what the proper products cost and what an engines cost I will just use the proper after run oil and air filter oil. A bottle of after run oil cost around $2 to $3 and last me for 6 months to a year so I look at is as cheap insurance. All so does transmission fluid absorb moister like after run oil?
Cool thanks im sorted now

And i didnt buy it...i have a car you know lol
Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
46u

I do understand and there are many that say use this or use that but I know if I use the proper stuff I am sure it will work and is just cheap insurance. I go through 8 to 12 gallons of fuel a year maybe more and I do not spend more then $10 to $15 a year on the proper after run oil and air filter oil. It does not take much at a time so it last quite a while. It just amazes me that some will spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a RC vehicle and then are too cheap to spend money on the proper oils which is not a drop in the bucket for what there vehicle cost! [X(]
Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
FastNeasy

ORIGINAL: 46u

I do understand and there are many that say use this or use that but I know if I use the proper stuff I am sure it will work and is just cheap insurance. I go through 8 to 12 gallons of fuel a year maybe more and I do not spend more then $10 to $15 a year on the proper after run oil and air filter oil. It does not take much at a time so it last quite a while. It just amazes me that some will spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a RC vehicle and then are too cheap to spend money on the proper oils which is not a drop in the bucket for what there vehicle cost! [X(]
Lol i see where your coming from

Ive orded some air filter oil and after run oil with my firestorm 10T now

It should come in 1-2 days [8D]

Cant wait!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM
46u

If I where to get another 2 wheel drive stadium truck I would get the Firestorm. Keep us posted on how you like it. Wish they made it in a kit then I would be more incline to get one. I know they never made the Rush in a kit so not sure if they will with the Firestorm either?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 PM
FastNeasy

Argh i have to wait until next week now until i can order it []

Im on full time work atm so i wont be there when it arrives and next week is when im actualy not working [:@]

So yea next week i'll let you guys kno how i get on,

And yeah im a complete noob at nitro atm but hoping to learn.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Ttowntoolman

FYI guys,
I bought a new OS .18 CVRX engine. In the manual it tells you how to make your own after run oil, ingredients automatic transmission fluid and a mixture of marvel mystery oil. I am always in favor of saving a dollar if possible, I can use it on my next r/c purchase!

It is not out of the question to use PAM cooking spray for air cleaner oil, I may know someone who has done this without any issues.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Nick2618

ORIGINAL: Ttowntoolman

FYI guys,
I bought a new OS .18 CVRX engine. In the manual it tells you how to make your own after run oil, ingredients automatic transmission fluid and a mixture of marvel mystery oil. I am always in favor of saving a dollar if possible, I can use it on my next r/c purchase!

It is not out of the question to use PAM cooking spray for air cleaner oil, I may know someone who has done this without any issues.
I still would not do it. You might literally only save 1 dollar... Traxxas tells you to put wd-40 in for ARO oil. I say just use the stuff that is made to do the job. Why shortcut it for only a dollar savings...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
46u

WD 40 does not absorb moister it displaces it somewhere else. After run oil absorb moister. All engine manufactures tell you not to use WD 40 other then Traxxas now are they telling you what is best or trying to sell more engines?

If you have to run Marvel Mystery oil use the air tool oil. Pam?????? I guess it takes all types. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 PM
REDisFASTER

Haha, I'm cheap, plus there's no hobby shops anywhere within 25 kilometers of my area, and riding a bike doesn't help! I just use air tool oil on my AE 15. When I do go around to getting a competition engine, its nothing but ARO from then on!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use k&n air filter recharger or accel foam filter recharger for my filters. it works on my real car's air filter and my rc's!
for after run, i use either after run oil or marvle mystery oil. (i love this stuff as i use it in my real car's oil and gas and for the mower and line trimmer)
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 PM
angus67

fer shuer, shupid! I have used k&n for years, and if it works for my fairlane,(classis muscle to you youngsters) good enuf for my rc. also, wd-40 stands for Water Displacement formula Forty. water HAS to go somewhere.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 AM
rclynx

out your nose if your taking a drink and laugh[sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 AM
angus67

back in your cup if your lucky. mmmmmmmmmm,recycled me. Oh I just remembered some thing. last weekend the misses and I were drinkin with friends, and somebody convinced her that jiff uses recycled peanuts! Think about it.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:06 AM
rclynx

If you have to think about it your in trouble[&:]I knew there was a reason I eat Skippy
Old 08-11-2007, 07:12 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow from oil to PB in two seconds flat!
BEWARE THE PETER PAN!!! it killed a few people due to samanila poisening. and guess what??? the number of the jar recalled, i had in my fridge! and we made cookies with them.

whew, close one.

back to oils, i have also used silicone spray and turbine oil. still, marvle mystrey works best. the amount of moisture kept while using WD-40 is insufficent enough to effect the engine if kept away less than a year. the best thing istead of oil is just draining the tank, removing the hoze, covering the filter and running the engine dry, after run alone doesnt protect the engine.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 PM
angus67

I always run the engine dry, I pinch the line, then dump the tank,(dead spot on side yard) then restart so there isnt any fuel to gel up in the lines. When it dies on its own, then I put 5-7 drops of after oil in the carb and turn it over till Im sure its 'all up in there' if Traxxas air filter oil was as easy as K&N to put in the filter, I'de use that too. These companies spend alot of R&D on these car's (but apparantly not the brakes on a Jato), they prolly have some idea as to what works. I know they are after my dollars, but using suggested tools and lubes is prolly the safest bet. I just hate sqeezing that dnm traxxas filter oil bottle when I know K&N is good too, and so easy to just spray on
Old 08-12-2007, 01:27 PM
46u

Does K&N make foam filter oil? I have two cans of it in my shop and both say for glazed air filters. It is not near as sticky as foam filter oil. Does K&N even make anything other then a glazed filter?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM
angus67

I never even realized it, but, you know, your right!! Maybe I'll stop using it on my lawn mower's filter too! Ha! Why can't someone make a spray for oiling foam filters?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:19 PM
rclynx

Fluidz Filter -oil / Foam Filter Oil
Spray-on air filter oil
5.5 oz can
$5.99
on the shelf
[:-][:-]