Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Pull starter....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
daytimeninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull starter....

Ok, so I'm taking apart my GT2 today for maitenance and cleaning. When I unscrew the pull starter, this coiled up spring thing pops out and scares the piss outta me. I concluded that this is what returns the rope to be pulled again. How do I get this thing coiled back up? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 PM
jatoracing33

Default RE: Pull starter....

not sure......heres an idea, get rid of the pull start...pull starts rob rpms

sorry if i didnt help
Old 08-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Nick2618

Just buy a new one... Not worth the time to put back together but there is some good instrcutions on how to do it on here somwhere...

Pull starts dont rob that much power...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i really dont get this whole "get rid of the EZ start and pullstart" bull. Ever think that some of use dont want to carry a starter box around? Or maybe dont mind losing that half a mile an hour for convenience?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
jatoracing33

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Yeah i really dont get this whole "get rid of the EZ start and pullstart" bull. Ever think that some of use dont want to carry a starter box around? Or maybe dont mind losing that half a mile an hour for convenience?

its not top speed, its acceleration and in racing thats all that matters...top speed is a noob thing and 65mph isnt gonna do you any good if you have 20ft long straights. even tho its not that much of a difference, it still can mean the difference between winning and losing
Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

It takes some doing to coil the spring back up but I have done it numerous times. Just one of those that is hard to explain how to do it.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 AM
townsy

Ya me 2 i had 2 recoil yestorday. it sucks i have like 80 cuts from the damn coil. i would find some thin gloves to put over ur hand.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:17 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe its possible for a nitro engine, but its IMPOSSIBLE with a weed wacker!
save your time and trouble and just buy the recoil part, from expiriance, i have put recoils on lawn mowers before and after an hour you get it togather, then you pull the rope it works, you think "fixed!" but then you go and start it again, shwing! it pops out again.[:@]

you can get a bump starter or bump box, they are a pain in the ***** though, but i had two of the same engines before, ofna red heads, one with pull start one without, the one without gave me better responce and another 3k rpms which is enough for a few mph, and the one with pull start lost responce time and was 3k rpms short of the non pull start.

one of the reasons because of this is the bearing causes friction and extra rotating mass, then another one is that you get some blow by of the back plate reducing proformance and pressure. puls if the gasket fails, you lose valuble oil and it makes a ugly mess.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM
46u

Being I am a motorcycle mechinec for over 35 years and years ago most ATV had pull starters I got a lot of practice. I have fixed many pull starters on many size engines and yes it is somewhat of a pain but I do not have a big problem fixing them.

But a starter box is better.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Oliver_Klozov

Ok dood heres how you fix it you start by hooking the spring into the outer side where the clip is and put the spring in as you coil the spring up you need to hold it with your thumb. Once its coiled back up you put it in the case and a pair of needle nose plyers you grab the spring from the inside of the case where the one way bearing goes and you coil it some more this is where it takes three hands sometimes you now need to push the coiled part of the spring down into the center holder with a large flat screw driver while holding the tightened coil with your needle nose plyers. I have done this 10 or so times and it doesnt seem to get easier but it works well..
Old 08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
daytimeninja

Ok, will a starter box work with the stock fly wheel?
Old 08-21-2007, 02:46 PM
motorhead91

make sure you get one that is 1/10th off road and and the gt2 should have a cutout in the chassis for the flywheel
Old 08-21-2007, 02:51 PM
REDisFASTER

ORIGINAL: 46u

It takes some doing to coil the spring back up but I have done it numerous times. Just one of those that is hard to explain how to do it.
Exactly.

Besides, would you rather kill of 10-15 minutes of figuring how to coil it back up or spend $10-25 on a new one when you old one is perfectly fine?

Many of us here know how to put it back together, its just the explanation is a PITA...

Here's the How-To from Xtreme: http://rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=29&page=1
Old 08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
daytimeninja

ORIGINAL: REDisFASTER

Exactly.

Besides, would you rather kill of 10-15 minutes of figuring how to coil it back up or spend $10-25 on a new one when you old one is perfectly fine?

Many of us here know how to put it back together, its just the explanation is a PITA...

Awesome. Thanks. I still might buy a starter box anyway. Will the stock flywheel work with a starter box? Or will I need to purchase the FT one?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: REDisFASTER

Exactly.

I guess some have more money then I do and I rather fix mine then be down waiting on a new one. All so I would rather fix mine and spend the money on something else.