Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Duratrax Nitro Evader

Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 PM
kersplat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrax Nitro Evader

To the gearheads: What is your take on the Duratrax Nirto Evader ST? Is the drive train durable? How is the DTX 18? I looked at the engine on tower's site and it looks like an OS clone. When I looked at the parts list the cylinder for this engine has a real rotten Nickle plating job. Is the engine ok in spite of this. What lifespan are people getting from the DTX 18? Any input of Nitro Evader owners would be appreciated.

[link]http://duratrax.com/cars/dtxd62b.html[/link]
Old 08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
nitrosport963

Default RE: Duratrax Nitro Evader

what i like most is the threaded shocks (i dont have 1)
Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 PM
duratraxrc

Well I have a Duratrax Nitro Evader BX.

Same Chassis, motor, etc.

The only difference is that suspension arms and suspendsions.

When I first got into the Hobby I stripped out 3 of the differential gears but I am on my fourth one and it has lasted me some time now, just make sure that you tighten that cup nut down really snug, thats the nut keeps the differential gear in there good.

I just recently replaced the piston and sleeve in my dtx 18...reason it failed is because dirt got through my air filter. I wasn't oiling my filter before I ran in the dirt but now I do. I'm about to buy me a better air filtering system this week for it so that it doens't happen again.

But all in all the St and Bx are two great starter Nitrous cars/truggy
Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 PM
drunkenjustin

i currently have a nitro evader, i bought it 2 years ago brand new and i was running the stock dtx.18 until a month ago when it went boom from a flip and the carb burped and spat flaming fuel out the carbie and burnt my body but the motor is great, but lately i've had problems with the new motor and gear mesh, i put the os.18 cv-rx in and can't seem to keep a spur gear good for longer than 10 mins, i went through 5 last week and 3 today
Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Minkis815

The DTX Nitro Evader st is sweet. But... the motor Sucks. it wears out quick. I love mine. the spur gear thing this guy is talkin about is BS. he doesn't have proper mesh. or his clutch bearings are gone. mine last a long time. Mine is faster than a stock Jato 3.3. Check out mine in my gallery if you want. its not stock BTW.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
drunkenjustin

youre saying that my spur gear issue is BS... no my friend ur bs... i had my lhs do the gear mesh, and i replaced all bearings in the clutch, and tranny, and it's just frustrating but it will be dealt with, if you do get one don't crank down the slipper pad that was my first mistake
Old 09-01-2008, 03:14 PM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

Now i have been running on the same gear for sometime now. but i am not as hard on my truck as some ppl are. most of the time i take off like i got some scent no wide open from a dead stop and i check my gear mesh before i run the truck every time. I little PM work goes a long way in this hobbie. As for the enigine i would rather have a good OS but mine is holding up good so far.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 PM
yoster

Here is all the information you need to know about the Evader.

Background info about myself; I've had the truck for about 5 years now, have replaced nearly every single thing on it at one time or another, and have enough spare parts to build 3 of them from scratch (not that that means anything; just that I have a lot of experience with it).

My synopsis:

The Good:
Motor: Whoever said the stock motor isn't good is drunk. An excellent RTR motor. It is ABN, so it won't last quite as long as an ABC, but I honestly have no issues with it whatsoever. I don't run the truck a ton, so I'm only on my 2nd motor, but both have faired well. In fact, it's probably the only good thing about this truck in stock form, other than the threaded shocks, which someone also mentioned earlier. Those are a welcome feature. The motor is also very lenient as to what fuel you use. I can throw anything in it; currently using 15% powermaster airplane fuel because it's extremely cheap. It has WAY more oil than you need, but the truck still runs fine with it (for bashing anyway).

The Bad:
Rear Differential: This thing is absolute junk. The gears in there are WAY too soft and go out left and right. Replace this with the hardened aluminum upgrade and you will never need to worry about it again.

Rear Shock Tower: It is UNBELIEVABLY weak compared to similar models. I would strongly recommend replacing it with one from a T-MAXX. Yes, this does work, and it's all I ever run. It is a 100% direct drop-in replacement, despite what other morons on here will tell you (a note on that; beware as to who you listen to for advice; I have wasted several hours trying something that some kid says will work, only to find out that it is absolutely impossible). Once it's in place, drill two small holes in the top to mount body-mount screws (AE makes them). Now you will have one beefy rear shock tower that is substantially more durable than the duratrax one.

Stock Steering Servo: Junk. No other way to put it. The servo saver isn't all that great either, as any small bump, no matter how loose it is, causes the servo to strip. Replace ASAP with a metal geared servo, or you'll find yourself racking up the bill for replacement plastic gears (5 bucks a pop).

Front knuckle arms: Replace with aluminum. Design of the truck causes the front rims to rub the arms, eventually weakening them and causing to break.

Things I haven't had any issues with in 5 years:

There are a few things about the truck I just haven't had to worry about. This includes the front shock tower, the clutch shoes, spur gears (I've only stripped a handful in all this time, not bad!), fuel tank (people complain about it; I haven't had any issues).

Speed?:
Speed-wise, in stock form, it's quick off the line but has a very limited top-end of about 32mph. A gear-change to the BX spur will get you about 5mph more, and installing Masher tires will bring you to about 45mph. Install the BX pinion to get a hair more, maybe 48mph? Don't listen to people who claim this truck will do 50mph out of the box; it flat out isn't true.

With the Mashers and BX spur gear, it is still quick off the line and still able to wheelie with a good tune. My brother in law has a Revo 3.3; The Revo beats it off the line, Evader comes back mid-way through the power band, and they both have a 100% identical top-end when the Evader is running the BX spur and Masher's. That said, when we're bashing, the extra power of the 3.3 keeps the truck running closer to 45mph in most terrain; the Evader, when geared like that and running mashers, is using a decent amount of its power just to turn those big wheels, thus resulting in a lower average speed. It can do it, it's just not as "angry" as the Revo. In stock form however, the Evader simply won't keep up on the top-end with other trucks (save for trucks such as the Traxxas Sport). It's all geared for acceleration in stock form.

Conclusion
After several upgrades, I finally have this truck in a nice workable and durable form. It's fun to drive, handles relatively well, and is fun to throw oversized tires on and bash around. Would I buy it again if I could do it all over? NO-WAY. Avoid at ALL cost. There are other trucks out there that are FAR better for the same amount of money. I've spent hundreds in upgrades to get this truck where it should have been out of the box. I would personally recommend the HPI Firestorm, XTM X-Cellerator, or RC10GT2. If you are looking for something that you will not competitively race, opt for the Firestorm, only because of it's reputation for durability.

Recommended minimum upgrades if you DO purchase it:

Metal-gear steering servo
T-MAXX rear shock tower (don't even bother with using the stock one; it will break ending your fun very early)
Upgrade tranny and differential gears; change to hardened aluminum (very important upgrade)

That's really it for the minimums, aside from basic track stuff like a hump pack and whatnot. I would recommend front and rear aluminum knuckle arms, but you can get by for awhile without them.

Any questions, PM me.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
kersplat

Thank you Yoster, I tip my hat to you for your professionalism and outstanding info, you're awesome.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:16 AM
scottywilkes

its not all that bad, like most ball diff vehicles, u need to keep an eye on them, as they do loosen over time and yes when they loosen they will slip creating heat in the diff balls which in turn melts the centre of the gear out.

U must be doin something really wrong to snap rear shock towers, in the whole time ive had mine ive only snapped it once, countless backflips, BMX track jumping and body off onroad flips and they are still fine.

The motor, allthough it being ABN and average of about 3 to 4 gallons, is still an allright mill, plenty of power and when paired with the BX CB abd Spur it has plently of speed, but yeah, longetivity is an issue because of the softer nickel coating, a replacement when it dies with a OS18CVRX will serve u good, powerhouse at a cheap price which will last forever

Like most RTR vehicles, the steering servo will need to be replaced.

saying all that, yes its a good starter stadium truck, but for the price there are better, the firestorm is a killer ST, very strong, good price, and good reliable strong motor. If u want a basher, stick with the more bash built trucks, firestorm, the older RC10GT etc, they are built dam strong.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
smalltownsavage

The D-trx Evader seemed kind of brittle but is a good bang for the buck. The motors seem to tune easy as well.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
yoster

There is nothing you can do "wrong" to make a rear shock tower break. It is a fixed part; it breaks or it doesn't.

The truck is fine if upgraded, but when put next to other trucks, it ranks at the bottom. Ironic, as I really like it now that I've done so much work to it, but when you look at the Firestorm, which is currently $20 cheaper than the Evader, it makes no sense to go with the Evader.

If you want to stay in a similar price range and stay with the brand (I like the looks that Duratrax vehicles have); go with the Raze Buggy. About $30 more than the Evader, and it has a rock solid history; uncommon for this brand.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
scottywilkes

all i can say is ive never had a problem with them, only broke 1 with a WOT runaway under a car, which in turn the rear tower cought and ripped it to shreds LOL, put it backtogether for a temporary fix with copper wire and CA, that thing lasted forever lol, stronger than the real deal

Anyway it was never made to be strong, it is based of the losi XXT which as u know is a racing chassis, everything is built to be lighter but also doing this reduces the strength of parts.

And yes i agree, for the cost, u cant go past the firestorm, its a great chassis and liker most HPI vehicles, extremely strong