Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Is a Slayer worth getting, to Race my Buddies SC8 ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Is a Slayer worth getting, to Race my Buddies SC8 ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a Slayer worth getting, to Race my Buddies SC8 ???

He is! Speed dosent mean crap on a track. You need to turn fast, be stable, and be smooth. the sc8 would destroy the slayer on a track. but both are good trucks.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 AM
hudler
My Feedback: (15)

I have been in this hobby now for over 20 years, all nitro and mostly offroad. I always was a Traxxas hater, bought HPI Savages and Associated MGT's, but my buddy always bought Traxxas T Maxx 2.5's and 3.3's. His truck was always as reliable with less work then mine. (I do like to mod and tinker) Anyway I bought a Revo and loved it, kind of looking at getting a Slayer so I started looking at reviews and this forum, so far it seems to be pretty much Traxxas, it would need alittle work on handling by the looks of it but pretty good otherwise. I like to build kits and hop them up, so Traxxas hasn't been my first choice, but I have built some Associated kits that are missing pieces and are dissapointing with there quality, HPI has always been top notch and probably my favorite, but if you are bashing, Traxxas is just fine from what I have seen. I bought my son his first Nitro truck and it was a slighty used Tmaxx 2.5 with some mods. It has been wonderful! I am still looking for my new truck and the SC8 and Slayer are at the top of my list. SC8 is just so expensive....just my 2 cents.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
ramp4ge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quality is something Traxxas knows nothing about.
Someone's avatar certainly fits them well.

His truck was always as reliable with less work then mine
I was the same way. I really was. I hated Traxxas. I told myself "I'll never own one of those toy POSs" and instead, bought an MGT 4.60SE over a Revo or a TMaxx. At the same time, my friend bought a Jammin CRT, and my other friend bought a Revo.

The MGT is shelved due to being a piece of crap with a piece of crap Thunderkitten engine that never ran well, the CRT is shelved due to requiring an astonishing amount of maintenance just to keep it driveable, and both my friend and I are bashing with Traxxas vehicles..

And that original Revo is still running on it's original 2.5R..

I'd buy the Slayer, simply because for it's price it cannot be beat. They're $369 thru Tower right now, and you get $20 off instantly. You can probably buy them cheaper elsewhere, AND you get a lifetime engine exchange program with it. Yes, it's tough to get used to, but so is a Slash. That's what makes them unique. Having driven an SC8, I can say that unless you're actually TRYING to make it handle like a CORR truck, it handles like the 8th scale buggy it's based off of. That's not a CORR truck. That's an 8th scale buggy with a CORR truck body.

The Slayer will have parts availability and aftermarket support out the wahoo (Being Revo-based), the SC8 will not. You'll be able to walk into any LHS and pull parts for the Slayergood luck with the SC8. And any oldschool Associated fan will look at the newer products since they were acquired by Ace/Thunderkitten. They're..not the same..They just aren't the same..
Old 08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
GSMike

I own an SC8 and race against Slayers all the time due to the fact that there aren't a lot of SC8's (yet) and therefore I'm thrown in with the Slayers. There are many that are heavily modified and yes, are faster in a straight line, but on a track they can't hold a candle to the SC8. The Slayer seems to be fun within it's genre, but it doesn't compare to the SC8.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

i've been doing this for over 25yrs. i am definately a associated guy, but i have had a revo 3.3 and i have a slayer now. the slayer is way more durable than the revo ... period! ... but as far as racing on a track the SC8 is one bad boy ... but the slayer is no slouch especially if ya have the swaybar kit on it, it handles really well. i have kicked plenty if 1/8th scale ass with it, the 3.3 turns like 50k rpm and the 2 speed trans lets it accelerate like a raped ape and its faster on top end than the SC8 ... really i guess what im sayin is if ya can drive ... really drive, the slayer is capable ... i mean its like i can smack around my buddy's eight T 2.0 if i'm on my game, but if i make one mistake he's gone!!! for the race track the SC8 is the one to get, but for the average guy that is gonna mainly bash and play-race his buddy's i'd get the slayer because if you seen what i put mine through, you would know what the motto Traxxas Tough means LOL i have not broke anything yet and i have basicly tried to murder the slayer ..... oops looks like i wrote a book :/