Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

jato 3.3 many problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
smokey091

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jato 3.3 many problems

1.? what is the best fuel to use for the jato 3.3? i use 30% only cuse i was told it would make the car go faster i use to use 20% on my rusty and my nitro sport never had any kind of problems with tuning nuntin
2. i have had my jato for 3yr never realy had a good tune on it after i broke it in it would always overheat like like 280 250 i think i even see it get over 300 degres i never ran it like that tho always immidetly shut it off n try to fix the problem just never succededn is it because i use 30%? ( iwas told that might be the problem )
3. can i just drop to 20% without going thru the whole break in period
4. someone please help or is it worth sending back to traxxas repair center i dont no much bout nitro but i love them but i also never had this type of problem with my nitro sport ( .15 ) nore did i have this problem with my rustler (2.5) help HELP help HELP
Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
jikkuria

Default RE: jato 3.3 many problems

well, on the traxxas 33% bottle it says to richen your high speed needle by 3/4 turns if switching from 20%. richen it and see how it reacts.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
smokey091

hey tks but i have tried that several times i havent switch to 20% yet just cuse i dont want make a bigger problem for my self is it ok to switch fuel like that i use traxxas fuel and will that help solve my problem if i switch
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 AM
jikkuria

30% percent shouldn't make it harder to tune, but traxxas fuel is too oily. i would switch to sidewinder or o'donnells. traxxas has too much oil(18%), where as most have 12%. but if you wish to drop down to 20% nitro, set the highspeed to 3 3/4-4 from closed. if you stay at 30% set the high speed to about 4 1/2
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 AM
smokey091

hey thanks tried that as wel my high speed is curently set at 4 1/2 now i ahve always had this problem since i pulled my jato out of the box 3yr ago after breakin in never had a good tune i ahve also herd what u said bout the traxxas fuel but i never had a problem with my nitro sport .15 or my rustler with a 2.5 n i used 20% in both i also havent had much time to fool with my jato i coach lil leage football which takes up much of my time i have only ran a lil over a gallon af fuel thru this jato can the fuel go bad i had it stored in a cool dry place with the top on off of the floor
Old 04-07-2009, 06:16 PM
jikkuria

as long as the sun wasn't on it it should be good. i would try to seal the whole motor, as you may have an air leak.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 AM
smokey091

seal the motor? never had to do that before how do i do that and what do i do it with? ( that blue needle thread/lock tight? )
Old 04-10-2009, 12:48 PM
jikkuria

well, get some high temp silicone, and seal around the neck of the carb where it touches the block (you will have to take the carb off of the motor). then pull off your easy starter or pull start, then remove the back plate under it (when it's off you will be able to see the connecting rod and crank), then seal it up and you should be ready after you let it sit for about a day.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
smokey091

hey how difficult is that i called traxxas and they said that they would not suggest to do that will tha cancel out my life time warranty cuse iam almost at the point to just swap it with a new 1 traxxas has that life time warranty dont realy now how that works out either. ? could it be that i just have a bug engine that is just defected from the factory cuse i have done everything u said plus what traxxas said yall both told me sumwhat the same and i can not get it to run good at all and this has been since i purchase it and like i mention before this is not my first r/c had problems before but never nuntin like this
Old 04-11-2009, 02:14 AM
CarGuy7a

my 3.3 in my slayer has also seen temps of around 300. as long as you shut it off immediately and let it cool and then richen it and try again it shouldn't hurt it. at least that's what the guy from traxxas told me when i called. you just don't want to keep running it at 300.

mine usually runs great around 210 at about 4 1/2 turns on HSN which is a little on the rich side for me but i'd rather be a tad rich than too lean.

i also run pretty rich on the LSN also. i'll richen the LSN up until it will sit and idle good and not bog on acceleration.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 AM
jikkuria

well, if you cant seem to find a solution to your problem, i believe that their is 2 possible problems. i believe that either you have an air leak, or your carb is a little gummed up. i had an engine that was running at 340 degrees at 6 turns out on the high speed needle, and it was just a gummed up carb. i took it apart, cleaned it out with gum out, and problem solved, back to running at 230 degrees. if you have an air leak it is probably in 1 of three places, the carb neck, the backplate, or your front bearing. i dont see why the sealing would void your warrenty, but the life time engine replacement program is where you take your old engine into your hobby shop and give it to them, and they give you some money off of a new engine. i've sealed several motors and used them as trade in and had no problems, ask your lhs if they will still take it as a trade. but the sealing is simple, only takes a few minutes. but if you just want a new one, you'll get like $25 off of a new motor if you trade that one in.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM
smokey091

how many turns out on ur lsn from close
Old 04-12-2009, 11:35 PM
jikkuria

i never measured from closed, i get it flush with the area around it, and tune form there, but flush is stock. i say clean the carb and try it.