Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

gt2 vs firestorm

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
CrysisFX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt2 vs firestorm

ok i have a savage that i am selling for a small car and some extra cash. both of my friends who do rc have a firestorm which seems like a decent truck but i am bothered by a few things. The g3. seems very cheap to me. both of their cars leak oil out of the exhaust manifold mounts and they dont have metal servos. on top of that they have cheap bearings that seem to go out around the clutch bell.

now the gt2's only negativity ive ever heard is that it has very tuning picky motor. which do you think would be the better car. if there is a better car in this class then tell me what you think.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:54 PM
NitroNate

Default RE: gt2 vs firestorm

You can't beleive everything that you hear,especialy if you hear the opposite from someone else.The majority will tell you that the G3.0 is a very reliable and powerful engine.How you come up with seeing the G3.0 as cheap is beyond me...And no,the bearings are not bad at all,its the clutch spring that goes bad.A lot of people automaticly skip over the Firestorm when they see they price,since they think,"Cheaper price,Cheaper performance".Most of us Firestorm owners will tell you that it is definatly a bargain.It drives and holds up like a $320 truck IMO...

I can't tell you much about the GT2 other than,it is a well rounded ST with racing attributes.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
CrysisFX

well with my experiences fixing my friends... the bearing on the cb exploded with lille balls everywere, one engine will no longer run, both pull starts have broken, one steering servo stripped because of it being plastic. both had at least on shock strip off the cap, and on had the clutch shoes crack.

atm i own a savage that i plan on selling but even it has some of these problems. i later upgraded them so it no longer happend.

im not trying to dis the firestorm as i know its very tough and i dont think either of them have broken any major parts except an engine. i see them on their lids after jumps a lot and i wonder how they dont break. (the engine was probably his bad tuning)

what i want to know is if the gt2 is and overall better rtr than the firestorm. i know the firestorm can be made full proof but i would rather spend most of my money not doing that. my lhs stocks both very well so thats not a problem.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Chris_RC

Well, if you are looking for durability, then the GT2 will definitly be less durable than the Firestorm.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Well, if you are looking for durability, then the GT2 will definitly be less durable than the Firestorm.

Do you even own either RC? My friend has a Firestorm and my cousin has a GT2 and my friend is always fixing his firestorm...... I've been out bashing with both of them and the GT2 has always held up stronger then the firestorm........Shoot even when I still had my RC10GT ol'school tub it held up stronger then the firestorm......
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 AM
ROUDYRS4

i have a modified savage s-25 engine on my forestorm and 21cb its fast and ive flipped it 1000times at high speed and it keeps running its a very tough truck
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
worstluck

well ya know what they say... you still cant beat a gt.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:42 PM
1nitrohead
My Feedback: (1)

tough to compare> Firestorm is a basher GT2 is race truck
the design of a basher tends to be bad for racin
Ex: if you buy a firestorm to race dont complain about not being at the top
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
del1969

The firestorm will be faster, and it has a gear diff
The gt2 hass a ball diff which is a pain in the ass to fix.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:11 PM
1nitrohead

another example of why race trucks are different than basher trucks. A ball diff is tunable to improve cornering and traction
Old 05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
CrysisFX

is the ball diff fragile? i have experience with the geared diffs and i would prefer them cuz they dont seem to break. i dont mind fixing a ball diff its not gonna break every five seconds.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: CrysisFX

is the ball diff fragile? i have experience with the geared diffs and i would prefer them cuz they dont seem to break. i dont mind fixing a ball diff its not gonna break every five seconds.
A ball diff is very durable if you break it in, maintain it every gallon or so and check the tightness of it every few runs. It is just the neebs who dont know how to put a ball diff together and run it really loose adn wonder why they strip gears.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have actually seen more tuning issues with the Firestorm than with the gt2. Just look in the Firestorm forum. Other than that I got a friend that has one and it is pretty durable. As far as the ball diff it is not a pain. In the 14 years that I have owned the RC10GT I only had to rebuild the diff once. And the diff is very tunable as well. If your looking for an all around basher then Firestorm would be the way to go just get a different motor. If you want an all around racer/basher then the gt2 is for you.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
1nitrohead

CrysisFX
My personal advise with these assumptions 1- you want to race and you want to bash 2- $$ is an object
Find a Jato that needs an engine put in a .15 maybe an .18 but not a 3.3. this will make it FAR more easy to drive/control. Since its 2wd you will learn throttle control to step up. Then save $$ for an 1/8 scale race level buggy or truggy. MOST outdoor tracks these days are not 1/10 friendly due to poor maintenance and 1/8 scale jump designs. Gas truck racing is dying in some areas and dead in most unfortunately, I was just forced to make the move to 1/8 due to no more GT to run with. If you have cash ready there are many good deals on used race 1/8. Check with local track and find out what they are runnin cuz it will easier to setup if someone knows what to do.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
CrysisFX

well i raced my 1/8th savage and im selling it for 2 reasons. MT is dying as well and its an expensive truck to keep up with. money is an object because im only 16 and mcdonalds is pretty much my income. my two friends who have firestorms really like them and i like how much less the parts are for them. really ill be doing more bashing than racing but there will be some of it. i was looking at a mgt 3.0 to pass time as it seems cheap and durable.

if i was ever going to get into 1/8 for real i would save up a lot for a rc8t.

as you can tell i seem to like associated. hpi has real good cars but some of the upgrades to keep them going can get expensive.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

well we have both a firestorm and GT2 the firestorm is a rolling money pit, and the g 3.0 is a vibrating piece of crapola ya cant keep motor mount and header bolts in it ... the pins fall outta the fly wheel about every gallon or so ... and it handles like a semi ....... now the gt2 ive had for more than a year and the only parts ive put in it are upgrades that i felt it needed some bling!