Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

RT-X 27 stock super tigre .27 motor questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

RT-X 27 stock super tigre .27 motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Arnoldj1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT-X 27 stock super tigre .27 motor questions

Hey folks, so I'm new to the R/C /car/truck community but I've fooled around with nitro planes in the past. I'll hop right to the point. I've just purchased a new Duratrax RT-X27 and I've been having numerous engine problems.

Now, I've read the forums and I understand that most folks agree that the stock motors in these are crap. To me part of the fun of the hobby is the tinkering aspect. So rather than utilize Duratrax's 3 year engine warranty I would feel pretty proud of myself if I was able to fix these issues rather than just take the noob way out and have them send me a new motor.

Ok so this motor is relatively broke in 6 or 7 tanks and I have her running relatively good (running on the rich side) Here are my underlying issues.

1. The motor is running scorching hot by the time I run half a tank through her (I mean sizzle the skin off your fingers and evaporate your spit in a milli-instant kinda hot. I've tryed running richer than normal and removed the canopy for maximum airflow, still EXTREMELY hot. I'm running 20% nitro 12% lubricant fuel. I've been reading about engine sealing and how air leaks can cause temperature problems but I'm not confident in my abilities and I have been nervous to try it myself. Let me know yalls thoughts on this.

2. I've burned through 4 glow plugs in about half a gallon of fuel. Can't seem to find what glow plugs I'm supposed to be using for this motor. ( I googled the crap outa it also) Can the wrong plug contribute to the above heat problem?

3. As of today the clutch isn't engaging at all (I've pulled the clutch assembly out the other day and replaced it according to the manual (just as a learning experience) and the clutch was engaging properly when I reinstalled moter. 2 tanks of fuel later BAM, no movement but the engine revs up normal (did I tear up the clutch pads or snap a spring maybe? ( haven't pulled her out yet to check.

4. the pipe header seems to fit semi loose on the rear of the motor and I notice alot of lubricant building up under the motor after I run her, seems she's leaking like a siff but I can't pin point any leak locations.

I would really like to clean her up and fix this motor myself, like I said earlier, I'm in the hobby for the tinkering AND the bashing/racing. If I need to ship the moter back I will, but not before I do everything in my power to get her up and running.

Please any help from you experienced guys would be fantastic!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:31 AM
CarGuy7a

Default RE: RT-X 27 stock super tigre .27 motor questions

Sounds like you sir have an air leak. I've ran into minor leaks in my Slayer that will cause it to run hot even if I'm really on the rich side.

Easiest way to find air leaks is remove the engine and clean it up. Remove the head pipe. Next use some soapy water or windex (something that will bubble up) and put it around the base of the carb and the front bearing. Install a short piece of fuel line into the high speed needle and make sure the HSN is at least 4 turns out from closed. Now plug the exhaust and carb with your fingers and blow through the fuel line attached to the carb. If you have any air leaks it will be evident with the bubbles from the liquid you applied.

The front bearing should leak just a little but if it really leakng alot then it needs to be replaced or sealed with any high temp RTV.

As for your exhaust leaking that could cause it to run hot also.What happens with an exhaust leak isyou lose pressure to the tank causing the engine to run just lean enough to create heat problems.Also check your fuel tank for leaks.

As for the clutch I can't help you there since I'm not familiar with Duratrax clutches. But the overheating issues I'm acustomed to since I've had them with my Slayer.

BTW where U at in KY?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Arnoldj1979

Hey, thanks for the response. I went ahead a pulled the motor and ordered an axial .28 for a replacement. I'm still going to take your advice and seal it though.

I'm in the E-Town area, you?
Old 05-23-2009, 04:18 PM
CarGuy7a

Yeah once you get all the leaks taken care of it should run great. My slayer had a leaky tank o ring and it made it run hot, and then later down the road I had an exhaust header start to crack and made it run hot also.

Hey you're not too terribly far from me. I'm in the Boone Co. area.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Arnoldj1979

I pulled the motor and sealed it today with high temp RTV from my local auto store. I had a bad lower o-ring on the carb. That could have been part of the prob. I didn't have a replacement o-ring for it so I made double sure to use a good bead of RTV on it. The upper o-ring on the carb was still good. This was my first attempt at ever taking a motor apart but it feels like it's turning over well. I also cleaned the entire thing inside and out with brake and parts cleaner. I did notice some metal shavings in the crank shaft from a bad glow plug also.

I'm meeting other members of my R/C club out at the flying field tomorrow. I'm gonna slap that motor in and run her. I'm hoping for the best. I would love to be able to keep that new Axial on a shelf while I wear this motor out first =)

Good call on the fuel tank. I'll yank that out and clean it up before I mount my motor just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the input, I'll be pretty damn proud of myself if this motor runs. I almost took the noob way out and sent it to warranty service. If alls good I'll be pulling my Hyper .21 out of my buggy and sealing it as well.

Preciate your help!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
CarGuy7a

Not a problem. I hope it runs great for ya, and if it does, well then you have yourself a spare motor.