Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Got any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:00 PM
lionheart78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got any recommendations?

Okay, I'm looking to get a new RC Car or Truck. I'm leaning towards a stadium truck and looking for some recommendations (yes, there are a ton out there that I've seen). Here's a little background:

I'm looking for something to run with my son (he's 10) and it would mostly be in the park or in the dirt (generally not roads) and not generally track racing and not big wooded areas, etc. So something that will be quick, fun, and nice for jumps and turns (jumps are the most fun to me). I've owned both a T-Maxx and E-Maxx in the past. The T-Maxx was my first and the biggest issue I had was the constant tuning (and I'll admit I never fully got the hang of it), and the E-Maxx was fine but i've had battery issues and don't care for the shorter run times.

So I'm leaning back towards gas powered, pretty durable, etc. If it can take less tuning, or I can get some good tuning tips, that would be great. I'm realistic that it's not going to be a tune it once and don't do it again, but obviously since we're newer at this it would help to be simpler or less work.

Any recommendations, and why, are appreciated. OnceImake a decision (I'll be getting this for fathers day), then I'll have to look at what accessories/gear I need and what I want.

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
jikkuria

Default RE: Got any recommendations?

i would strongly recommend the HPI fire storm, as it is relatively cheap, very durable, and tunes easily. it is the more traditional stadium truck as it is a rwd small block. they can be found here. there is also the Hpi mt2, which is stadium truck sized, but has 4wd, it is sturdy, has the same motor as the fire storm, and isn't too bad on the wallet. it can be found here. some people will say to buy a traxxas, and their is nothing wrong with traxxas, but their stadium truck lines aren't as strong as hpi's. they are faster, with the jato going in the 60's but they handle worse, the jato isn't  leagal on alot of tracks in races(though it isn't your main concern), and their more expensive than the hpi kits. the Gt2 is another great truck, just as strong as the hpi products, but more race styled. it is an older line like the traxxas ones, but is has been updated over the years, unlike the traxxas rustler. there is also the losi xxx-nt, which is along the lines of the gt2, as it is tough, but it is more race oriented. fpr the beginner i would recommend the fre storm, because it is cheap and tough.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Cynix

Well you really cant go wrong with Traxxas trucks.  The Nitro Sport is a very durable truck its only 38+ out of the box but it should be anough fo your son sense hes only 10.  The pro .15 is very easy to tune.  The Nitro Rustler would also be a good choices its basicaly one step up from the nitro Sport.

HPI makes some good stuff but my cousin has a mt2 and it seems to brake constantly and is never running just right it is cool because its 4wd but I would stay away you can also get Traxxas parts easyer.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 PM
JCMINIS

I purchased a HPI firestorm as my 1st nitro powered RC. No problems it has just under 2 gallons through it. I have broke a couple 2-3 dollar items but it was high speed smashers that broke them.

Let me know if ya have some other questions.

JC

Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

my son has a firestorm and its the biggest price of crap ya can buy .... everytime he runs it, it breaks ... it has had 2 g3.0 motors in it and finally a os cv-r18 .... its for sale LOL yes parts are cheap but if it breaks everytime ya run it, then why keep tossing dollars at it .... its a money pit!! i would go traxxas for a starter truck ..... they are durable and the nitro sprt with the pro15 is a good starter truck ... little motors last forever and make decent power.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:54 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

my son has a firestorm and its the biggest price of crap ya can buy .... everytime he runs it, it breaks ... it has had 2 g3.0 motors in it and finally a os cv-r18 .... its for sale LOL yes parts are cheap but if it breaks everytime ya run it, then why keep tossing dollars at it .... its a money pit!! i would go traxxas for a starter truck ..... they are durable and the nitro sprt with the pro15 is a good starter truck ... little motors last forever and make decent power.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Kodiac400

I have the Firestorm and can say mine works perfect. Lots of power..........minimal tuning. I've had some pretty crazy cart wheel crashes and haven't broken anything yet. I'd buy anther one in a second.

Later
Old 05-17-2009, 12:03 PM
NitroNate

OK,for starters,the Firestorm is the newest ST mentioned on here.It had some flawed nylon parts that HPI recalled,but some bad batches are still being cleaned up.My Firestorm had some of those bad parts which didn't take long to break,so I just bought a new set and its HPI tough again.If you don't know this already,HPI makes all their trucks for the hardcore basher RC drivers.If you get a HPI truck,you got yourself a truck that will keep your wallet in your pocket for quite some time.

For those who say Traxxas is more durable than HPI,just look at each manufacture's crede.

To be honest,the Firestorm is one of the best STs there is.It's valued at $320 but costs you only $250...I can't complain about my Firestorm,its so reliable and durable I'll run it along side my bro's 1/5 scale HPI Baja.

Almsot 2 years old and spent $20 in repairs.(Not including the recalled parts)$300 in bling bling and hop-ups...

For the record,don't listen to anybody who says the Firestorm,or any HPI truck for that matter,is not durable.Its pretty obvious they don't know about the recall or generational quality designs.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 PM
rclynx

I love my ST's but if your looking for durable and want to have lots of fun scrambling around in the dirt and forrest get a 1/8 Buggy, Get it from a local Hobby Shop so you have good support on what ever you buy. Everyone has an opinion on whats best but there all made in China  so the more support you have the better off you are. Good luck and HAPPY RC'en
Old 05-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Chris_RC

Sorry about this rclynx, but since your favorite brand is XTM, I assume you are associated with hobby people? Anyway, DO NOT buy anything from Hobby People!!! They try to sell you XTM crap, then they get mad at you when they break. Where in CA are you lionheart.

I do agree that 1/8 buggies are much much more durable than any 1/10 ST.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:21 PM
lionheart78

I'm in So. Cal (Mission Viejo area). Definitely good information so far. I hadn't even thought about a buggy (so now have to do more reading as to when that's better or worse). I do like that the Firestorm is a little less in cost than some of the others. If my son enjoys it we may have to get 2 so we can race each other or at least crash together.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:29 PM
NitroNate

You'll enjoy it too,check it out: http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...=Moviesotm.flv
Old 05-17-2009, 01:32 PM
lionheart78

Oh yeah, whatever I get it will be fun.  I'm just a big kid at heart and I just hope he gets into it.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all of the positive replies. I have one too and all I've replaced on mine is glow plugs and one set of clutch shoes. I run mine in a foot ball field where there are no obstacles and lots of open space. For those who are constantly breaking parts... no R/C vehicle can withstand being hammered into curbs, light poles and other solid objects. I have tumbled mine at high speed many times and never damaged anything ever. It is built stronger than my T-Maxx.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: lionheart78

I'm in So. Cal (Mission Viejo area). Definitely good information so far. I hadn't even thought about a buggy (so now have to do more reading as to when that's better or worse). I do like that the Firestorm is a little less in cost than some of the others. If my son enjoys it we may have to get 2 so we can race each other or at least crash together.
Okay, I have some friends in RC that live there. Im down in the desert so we are pretty far away. If you want something multi terrain, look at truggies too.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:19 PM
lionheart78

Okay, so if i I get the Firestorm.  Any particular recommendations on any required things I'll need to get with it (I have to give this to my wife to buy).  Trying to keep cost down so don't need all the hopups yet, but what essentials will I need in addition (for tuning, or whatever).

Thanks so much already.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Chris_RC

A temperature guage should help you alot. You shouldnt tune by temperature, but it is a good way to judge how your tune is.  Find a racer or hobby shop that knows what they are doing, and ask them to give you some tuning tips. What ive seen people do cannot be explained in words...well on a post it would take too much to explain, but if you want to see how top pros like Adam Drake tune (he tuned my engine last weekend!) ill give you some small tips. Go to a hobby shop and see what fuel they carry.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:46 AM
rclynx

If your new to the sport and you don't have the knowledge ALWAYS TUNE WITH A TEMP GAUGE it will keep you from burning up your engine. For example I have a customer that has been an electric runner for some time and he used the temp gauge to tune up while getting used to the nitro engine. I'm sure he uses it less now but in his first race he took one of those so called crap cars (an XT2) and finished 2nd in his first nitro fuel main event. [X(]
Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 PM
usa98030

MCSRACING i totally agree with you! Your my new buddy
Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 PM
CrysisFX

heres my opinion on the firestorm. it follows an upgraded chassis layout of the gt2 (they are almost identical). it has gear differentials which is a plus. i would suggest taking the grease out of the differential and fill it with differential oil later down the road. i've cartwheeled my new one ALOT! i drive it like i do my savage and its just amazing what it can take. the brakes like toloosenafter a few gallons of fuel so make sure you keep the screws set correctly. the steering servo is a little weak and the servo saver likes to loosen so when it does just re-tighten it and loctite it. eventually the servo will go out and when it does go buy a decent metal gear one for 20 bux. The thing that bugs me is that since its abeginnertruck it does not let you have easy access to the low speed needle for tuning it. it comes set pretty well from factory so you will be fine if you never touch it (the manual says to not touch it) but i like the power to do wheelies so i do touch it. the stock engine is strong for a while but make sure you use a temp gun. my friend was running too lean but the engine made no sounds indicating it was lean. he turned his engine into a paperweight for running at 375.

other than those few things it runs very well and im overall impressed.