HPI Firestorm running really hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Firestorm running really hot

Hey Guys,

Ihave a HPIFirestorm that Igot in a trade that Ican not seem to get to run cool. Ihave cleaned out the engine, Ihave a new glow plug and I am running 20% O'Donnell Nitro Fuel. Ihave the needs HSNand LSN are both set at the stock positions. WIth that, I ran my Firestorm today and Isaw temperatures in the 260 ~ 290 degrees. Do Ineed to run a lower Nitro content fuel??? Ireally need some advice. Ihave even thought about getting a bigger heat sink for this firestorm.

I really need help to get this running cooler. PLEASEHELPME!!!!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
JCMINIS

Default RE: HPI Firestorm running really hot

Jow does it run ? Why not richen it up a bit ?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: JCMINIS

Jow does it run ? Why not richen it up a bit ?
Most of the time medium to full throttle with alot of stops in-between. Any richer and the engine won't stay one, Iam constantly seeing smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Thanks
Disjaukifa

Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 PM
usa98030

Slow down the idle maybe your idle is really high so your RPM starts of high and when you full throttle it, the engine reachs its danger zone. Or you might have an air leak
Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
jenfre

I had the same problem with my firestorm 10T last summer . It was too rich to have good performance but did not seem rich enough to keep it cool below 250 F . I did not solve the problem but i bought racing tire for stadium truck and i raced my firestorm in a parking and it did not overheated at all ! I guess it is because of the ventillation it was getting due too the speed it was going. My point is : Maybe when we are bashing around with it it revs too much for the speed it goes. It is a little bit like when you drift an on road nitro carmy RS4 evo 3 with racing setup can take lot of beating and will still be under 240 F but last time î had put drift tire on it after few minutes i was running 290 F and the bodies are full of aeration holes !
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 AM
CrysisFX

in grass the firestorm over revs a lot because the tires do not always get fully to the ground. also when one tire gets traction and the other doesnt the diff will unload like crazy. i solved this with 100k diff oil and it runs much better in grass but it still is no were as fast as it is on dirt.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 AM
jenfre

ORIGINAL: CrysisFX

in grass the firestorm over revs a lot because the tires do not always get fully to the ground. also when one tire gets traction and the other doesnt the diff will unload like crazy. i solved this with 100k diff oil and it runs much better in grass but it still is no were as fast as it is on dirt.

Yes that is true the stock diff setup is very loose and always give all power to the "no load" wheeland make the engine rev very high !!!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 AM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: jenfre

ORIGINAL: CrysisFX

Yes that is true the stock diff setup is very loose and always give all power to the "no load" wheel and make the engine rev very high !!!
AHHHHHIrun almost pure on grass, I don't have a track that is close and Ijust run it in my yard. So Ineed to 100K Diff Oil. I will try that. Iam also going to seal the engine tonight to see if that helps at all. At the least it will help with tuning.

Thanks guys I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Thanks again
Disjaukifa

Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

my son has a firestorm and we cannot get the temps below 270 or it just wont run right and its been that way since it was new .... some motors like hpi and traxxas tend to run a bit hot .... dunno why, i guess its just their nature ,,,,,also if the low end mix is a bit lean ya will run hot too, motor can be blubbering on top end and still run 300+ .... fatten up the low end and hello there's 230 and she screams ... make tiny adjustments and work ur way to a decent tune
Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 PM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

my son has a firestorm and we cannot get the temps below 270 or it just wont run right and its been that way since it was new .... some motors like hpi and traxxas tend to run a bit hot .... dunno why, i guess its just their nature ,,,,,also if the low end mix is a bit lean ya will run hot too, motor can be blubbering on top end and still run 300+ .... fatten up the low end and hello there's 230 and she screams ... make tiny adjustments and work ur way to a decent tune
Yeah I am beginning to think that 250 ~ 270 might be normal for this motor. You happened to have found a good easy way to adjust the LSN have you?

Thanks
Disjaukifa

Old 05-25-2009, 09:14 PM
fasty

I have a FS and all I have to say is take the G3 and throw it in the trash and get ya a OS 18.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Chris_RC

Most RTR engines like to run hot. If it is under 300 degrees then you are ok. I like to keep my engines under 280 as they can be pushing 300 when you are running WOT. Also, get race fuel. Please tell me you are using ODonnell race and NOT R2R? That will cause it to run hot. If worse comes to worse, buy fuel with a lower oil content (race fuel) and higher nitro percentage ($30). Nitro burns cool, oil burns hot. Also check for an air leak. How much runtime is on this engine?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Most RTR engines like to run hot. If it is under 300 degrees then you are ok. I like to keep my engines under 280 as they can be pushing 300 when you are running WOT. Also, get race fuel. Please tell me you are using ODonnell race and NOT R2R? That will cause it to run hot. If worse comes to worse, buy fuel with a lower oil content (race fuel) and higher nitro percentage ($30). Nitro burns cool, oil burns hot. Also check for an air leak. How much runtime is on this engine?
Its a brand new G3.0 and Iam running R2R, however I just bought Tower Hobbies 30% Nitro so hopefully that will lower the temperatures a bit.

Thanks
Disjaukifa

Old 05-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: disjaukifa

Its a brand new G3.0 and Iam running R2R, however I just bought Tower Hobbies 30% Nitro so hopefully that will lower the temperatures a bit.

Thanks
Disjaukifa

Yea DONOT EVER run ANY RTR fuel. It is very cheaply made and bad for motors. The extra oil gives bashers a fake sense of extra lubrication. I wouldnt of bought the Tower fuel as you dont know how much the castor to synthetic ratio is. Stick with brands like Byron (my personal favorite), nitrotane, Sidewinder, O'Donnell, and Maxy's.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 PM
disjaukifa

ORIGINAL: disjaukifa

Thanks
Disjaukifa

Yea DONOT EVER run ANY RTR fuel. It is very cheaply made and bad for motors. The extra oil gives bashers a fake sense of extra lubrication. I wouldnt of bought the Tower fuel as you dont know how much the castor to synthetic ratio is. Stick with brands like Byron (my personal favorite), nitrotane, Sidewinder, O'Donnell, and Maxy's.
The R2R is O'Donnells . . .

UPDATE The tower hobbies fuel runs a 14% oil content, which seems to be pretty low or should Istill get the racing fuel from O'Donnells???

Thanks
Disjaukifa

Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

some times it takes a bit of fuel to get a motor to settle down on the temps .... as far as fuel goes ... O'Donnell is killer fuel .. i personally run trinity fuels, they tune great and seem to have great wear so far ... i ran blue thunder for years in my play trucks but i've switched to trinity eclusively, but then we have a real hard time getting byron gen2 lol 30% is too high of a nitro content for a basher .... 20% will give ya good performance, we only run 30% in our race motors, with 30% ya can run ur motor fat and still have good performance and cooler motor temps, but everyone i know can't leave a motor fat so they lean it out and then the benefit of the higher nitro content cooling the motor is gone. so its a trade off!! oh also to get a ball park tune on the low end needle pinch the fuel line a round 2 inch's from the carb and it should take about 3 seconds for the motor to die.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Chris_RC

14% oil is still pretty high IMO. I mean Losi Nitrotane Sport fuel is only 12% oil. All your engines really needs is 8-12%, any more only hurts it. ODonnell is good fuel, but it hurts my eyes alot. Trinity is good fuel, I ran a quart of PLatinum 20% when I forgot my Nitrotane,but nothing like Byron.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 AM
disjaukifa

14% oil is still pretty high IMO. I mean Losi Nitrotane Sport fuel is only 12% oil. All your engines really needs is 8-12%, any more only hurts it. ODonnell is good fuel, but it hurts my eyes alot. Trinity is good fuel, I ran a quart of PLatinum 20% when I forgot my Nitrotane,but nothing like Byron.
Well the fuel has already been order, I only ordered one quart so Iwill see how it does. Iread somewhere that the O'Donnells R2R fuel was like 18 ~ 19 percent oil content, so even if 14%is still al ittle to much, the temperature should still drop and I should be able to tune the Firestorm better. I will keep ya'll updated. I hope to have the fuel this week but more than likely it will get here on Monday.

Thanks guys,
Disjaukifa

Old 05-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Chris_RC

Wow, 18%!! That is very close to Traxxas fuel oil %!! Going down to 14% should make a big difference. Every engiene ive owned wont even run at factory settings.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:33 PM
disjaukifa

Wow, 18%!! That is very close to Traxxas fuel oil %!! Going down to 14% should make a big difference. Every engiene ive owned wont even run at factory settings.
Yeah that is what I am thinking, a lower oil content and a higher nitro content should allow the Firestorm to run a whole lot cooler than it is currently running.

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
shocker9

The problem is that HPI engines are just cheap and crappy sling it out and buy a proper motor like a nosram i had nothing but trouble with my G3.0 it ran at temps like 130-160 degrees c and couldn't get it any lower so just use it at that temp only thing is yul go through quite some glow plugs due to the heat.