Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie question

OKso Ibought a used Nitro RS4 MToff ebay as my 1st nitro vehicle this week and was wondering what kind of tools will Ineed and what else I should get when Igo hit up the LHS. Also what are common parts to destroy on these things that Imight want to buy some extras.

Idownloaded the full manual off HPIs site also and from what Ican see none of the plastic parts are cracked at all. I also turned the transmitter and reciever on and made sure the throttle brakes and servos were fully functional.

and also it seems its the original RS4 MT not the 2 or 3
Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM
RCinSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie question

Im a noob also. Iwent and bought 5 glow plugs. And some controll arms. O yeah and 4gal. LOSIgas. If you dont got the tools for a rc then you can pick them up there. Ifind my self using tools out my tool box. the tools that came with mine where plastic. They got a new home in the trash !!!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Kodiac400

You pretty well get all you will need from a standard starter kit for nitro's. Other than that you can pick up a good set of hex keys at your local autoparts store. Make sure you get some lock tight (blue tube) for all the steel on steel screws. With the above stuff I listed you can pretty well deal with anything that had broken or has come loose. I personally don't keep much in spare parts........other than glow plugs. I eventually picked up a second rc so if something breaks on one I mess around with the other until its fixed. 
Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

1) A good set of allen wrenches with metric and standards that have the tiny sizes (.5MM & up)the ones with ball ends will be best, and get them at your local hardware store it'll save ya a buck.
2) A crankshaft locking tool like this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD567&P=FR
3) duratrax ultimate wrench, which will work for all your wrench needs http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxr1175.html
4) a precision screwdriver like this one is good as it has alot of bits that will cover most of your needs from tuning to speedy screw removal. http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-...2778229&sr=8-1
5) get a couple of the small $1 cross wrenches to have handy just in case, I always have a couple laying around and in my RC bag so if I have tire or other issues I am covered.
6) get a good exacto knife set

that shopuld cover you pretty well for the start of things, andkeep the tool cost lower so you can afford the other things you will be needing from your LHS lik spare a-arms, tires and wheels, nitro fuel, spur gears, basically parts wise you want to make sure you have aspare of everything that could possibly break while you learn to control your vehicle.next time you go to get nitro fuel I would recommend O'Donnel's or blue thunder personally, or if you decide to order it Byron's is tops!!! 20 or 30% is fine for your vehicle, don't go under or over...

If you really want to make your truck a basher, I would recommend saving money (this part is expensive, but awesome for bashers) and decking your MTout in full aluminum!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the replys and the list of tools

I was already looking at aluminum parts on Ebay. 1st parts I'm replacing are the steering knuckles and rear uprights. On almost every electric RCcar I've owned in the past i've cracked the knuckles off (even the tiny Bit-Charges) Bashing is the thing that pulled me to 4wd trucks instead of street cars

One last question is it hard to convert a pull start over to a roto start?

(edited due to not noticing what Bit-charge spells without the -)

Old 05-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Kodiac400

The conversion should be a direct bolt on. Just back off the screws that hold the pull start and replaced with roto start backing plate.

Later