RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Help with the Jato 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 PM
MonsterKawi314
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with the Jato 2.5

O.k. guys, need the experts on this one. I have two Jatos now.One is a 3.3 andthe otheris a 2.5. The 3.3 is brand new, still breaking it in. But the problem I'm having is with the 2.5. Since I know most of you 3.3 guys are 2.5 graduates I decided no place better to ask than here. My 2.5 is (was) bone stock. And a shaker and mover at that. It ran awesome. Today I got a THS pipe for my 3.3, so I decided to put my other Traxxas Resonator Dual Chamber pipe on the 2.5. Now keep in mind this was all while I was at work so no temp gun or other tools. I have never had problems with my glow plug on my 2.5, but here's how the story went. Changed the pipe from the 2.5 from stock to the above mentioned. Put my E-Z starter to it and it would not fire. I noticed the glow plug light on the wand was not on. Changed the glow plug and tested the old one, which was shot. After installing the new plug the car fired right up. As I began running it, I noticed that there was alot of blue smoke (running rich, right?) But I continued to run it and slightly try and lean it out, but to no avail. She burned blue smoke till the tank ran out. After I refilled the tank to run it again, I noticed the glow plug light off again. Now I'm out of plugs to try. What do you think this means. Is it that the pipe being a higher performance pipe than the stock was making it run rich and foul the plug. Is that even what happens to a glow plug. Let me know what you think on this situation since I'll be stuck here at work for another 12 hours. Thanks guys.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with the Jato 2.5

Running rich can foul your plugs rather quick. That's why during break in its reccomended that you have spare plugs. Bcuz a high performance pipe flows more freely you will have to retune your engine.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 AM
MonsterKawi314
My Feedback: (1)

Right. So even though this engine is well broken in, I would still have to retune it?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. When I had installed my high performance I had to retune as well. Once you lean it out a bit you should be ok
Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 AM
pieky22

retuning is always important when changing parts and fuel for the engine...i have the ths pipe too for my 3.3...its awesome by the way
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 AM
**shradernator**

this is what i do personally...wen i get a new RC anything nitro i break it in bone stock then tune it and make sure its all okay..then when ever i get a major part like pipes,wheels,that kind of stuff that will mess with the motor i tune it...that's just what i do just to be on the safe side cause it can get expensive to fix later on down the road