Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Slayer went swimming / DX3S epic failure

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Slayer went swimming / DX3S epic failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:46 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slayer went swimming / DX3S epic failure

Hey guys here's a story for you all that is a testament to the quality of traxxas IMHO. was out camping this weekend, and yesterday was running my slayer in a huge grass lot by a reservoir in california. was havin a blast when I experience a truly epic failure of my DX3S system's built in failsafe. was having fun launching off a small embankment about 300 yards away from the reservoir, when the radio signal just crapped for no reason, and the slayer went WOT straight into the lake. it skipped like a rock about 15 yards out and sank to the bottom . I about crapped my drawers figuring it was toast since I had been running it for a solid 45 minutes up hills down hills jumping and bashing & engine was at temp. I threw my shoes and socks off and waded out to retrieve the vehicle, and was certain it was toast, electronics fried, and engine case cracked or at least jacked internally. as soon as I pulled it out I switched of the power to stop the servos from glitching. I then took it back to the camp and began disassembling EVERYTHING. dumped all the water out of the exhaust and felt sooo defeated and irritated by the failure of my expensive spektrum setup that is designed to specifically NOT allow this sort of thing to happen.

I took apart the servos, and disconnected the SR3300T receiver and put them in the sun, then disconnected the muffler and drained the water out as best I could from the engine which was seized up. I them pulled the glowplug, and dumped the water out of the chamber, and then was able to turn the motor by hand. let it sit awhile like that then said F-@# it and used the strter wand which amazingly worked to turn the EZ-start motor, and proceeded to blow all the wayer out of the top of the engine. I then plugged the glowplug hole and blew abuch more water out f the exhaust from the crankcase. then let it all sit in the sun for 45 minutes until it all looked dried out.

now came the impressve part, I reconnected the receiver to the servos and was extremely surprised to see that they were both working, meaning the receiver was fine also. I started reassemblign the truck, and after using a glow starter to dry the plug found it was fine also, then the real test, I put the plug back into the engine, and connected the ez-starter, and bam it fired right up. I couldn't believe it!

I then reassembled my epic beadlocks after the foams were dryed out, and slapped the wheels back on figurring here is where it goes to crap. as soon as a load is put on it it is gonna blow up, but no it runs just as good as ever.

Now I am truly impressed! I have heard tons of horror stories about bad enounters with puddles, etc. and how cars were totally ruined from just that, but here I had my slayer take a brief tour as a submarine, and it LIVED! truly amazing if you ask me! and lucky on my part! Traxxas definately earned a new level of respect with me after this experience by a mile!

I also have to admit that the SPektrum electronics DID impress me after working even though they had been completely submerged with power running to the receiver!

I also am impressed that the servos worked just fine after hearing soooo many people bag on traxxas servos.

This just shows that despite it's lack of popularity the Slayer is definately a helluva vehicle! and I would definately recommend it to anyone who is thinking about one!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:53 PM
grbxtony

Default RE: Slayer went swimming / DX3S epic failure

wow that is crazy cool! i had my car do the exact same thing except when it jumped off the grass hill it took off down the street towards a small pool and manages to skip across the entire thing at hit a chain link fence at 40mph. not a thing broke. i was soooo lucky. i need electronics like you have though! they sounds badass
Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
slayer15

i have the DX3S an the same thing happen to me, i was in front of my garage having a blast with my slayer, and suddenly i lost total control of my rc car. WOTwith no brakes, and the BAM it hit at WOT my neighbor garage. i dissasemble my slayer and found out that the RPM wires connected to the sensor snapped off. i removed it and now i dont have any proble . u should check that!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 PM
djzachtyler

haven't installed the sensors on the slayer yet. so that couldn't be the issue. I have also had this happen with my NTC3 but the failsafe works fine on that one... maybe a glitch with the radio. I might just contact Horizon tomorrow and see if this is a known issue...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:52 PM
djzachtyler

ORIGINAL: grbxtony

wow that is crazy cool! i had my car do the exact same thing except when it jumped off the grass hill it took off down the street towards a small pool and manages to skip across the entire thing at hit a chain link fence at 40mph. not a thing broke. i was soooo lucky. i need electronics like you have though! they sounds badass
that is just it... my slayer has the stock servos. I hear people say they are crap a helluva lot, but these got drowned pretty good, and no issues. Crazy. only thing changed is the receiver which is th SR3300T that pairs to the Spektrum DX3S radio.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the thing needed a bath anyway didnt it? HAHAHAHAHA what a great story man. Cool to hear she still runs though.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 AM
ThatRustyKid

Wow nice! You shoul probablly investigate about that failsafe though. Just imagine if that was a brick wall....
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM
calvino

Wow, thats sure luck on your part . You were very lucky it sounds like it landed in "fresh water". If it had been salt water... we would have had a different ending [:-]. Good idea to use the EZ-Start to run the water out of the engine... prob running it after it got wet helped to get rid of the rest of the water inside in the form of steam [8D]
Old 06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOWZERS.....................................
That is truely amazing...............................
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is awesome. I think Traxxas builds good quality stuff. Hell I remember my RC10GT WAS GLITCHING AFTER I ran it into a fairly shallow puddle. But man that is awesome.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:32 PM
djzachtyler

Yeah quite an incredible outcome to say the least! and aside from the failsafe function not working, I have to say the Spektrum SR3300T receiver is the first receiver that has gotten completely wet and survived, so the build quallity is impressive in that sense... As far as the faqilsafe function with SPektrum gear, I ran into the issue one other time, and re-binding the receiver to the DX3S solvewd it. so I havew to try doing that when I have some time this weekend!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
djzachtyler

[quote]ORIGINAL: calvino

Good idea to use the EZ-Start to run the water out of the engine... prob running it after it got wet helped to get rid of the rest of the water inside in the form of steam [quote]

No steam involved, the ez start just pushed any excess water out the exhaust mani. I made sure as much of the water as possible ws blown out before actually start the thing... I still cannot believe the cast block didn't crack anywhere... truly amazing!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Scubarc

try putting some liquid electrical tape on it