Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Slayer problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
ericjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slayer problem

Hi guys, I haven't been around in a while. I have a issue with a Traxxas Slayer. I run in my driveway and neighbors driveway alot. Do you have issues with small rocks getting caught in between the hub and wheel? It stops me cold some times. Any ideas would help! Thanks guys!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:43 PM
rglbegl

Default RE: Slayer problem

Small rocks, big rocks, twigs, berries . . . you name it.
It is a good idea to keep a close eye on your car, bring it in occasionally for a quick inspection to prevent any permenant damage.

Just be glad the rocks are sticking in your wheels and not your flywheel
Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
jikkuria

how would it get between the hex and the wheel, unless our wheel nut is super loose.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM
ericjr

Hi, no the rock gets between the hub and wheel in the back of wheel area. The Slayer has a small wheel, and the pebble goes in between the hub/wheel and stopps it rotating. It doesn't happen to my other larger wheel R/c. It is annoying due to it sometimes happening even few minutes. Hard to drive when a wheel is locked up.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 PM
CarGuy7a

Yup it happens. Try a set of 1/8 buggy wheels and 17mm adapters. I hardly ever get anything stuck in mine. Look up a seller named Supra Sales on ebay. They have 1/8 buggy tires and wheels premounted and glued for around $14.99 a full set. They have fast shipping too. The 17mm adapters I use are the Traxxas adapters found at Tower Hobbies.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

LOL< I have this issue too. not much you can do about it... think it is due to the larger inside diameter, had my slayer stop a couple of times before it went swimming last weekend. LOL!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 PM
bink 138

it's a menace!

There's one spot that i go where it's almost funny. The rocks must just be the perfect size.

I'm not thru with these tires, yet.

you would have to mount something from the A arm to stop it.. I see no other way.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89418.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1232091  
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Perhaps some of those plastic fake brake rotors would help. If alot of people are having this issue, I'd start complaining to Traxxas. They may need to redesign the hub or put larger wheels on them.

I'd just get some plastic, make some hub shields, glue them on and then sell em to everyone else. But, I don't have a Slayer to use as a test mule.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM
bink 138

More of a Proof of Concept, and a little ghetto... I'll see if i can break em.

they're pretty solid, and that plastic is hard as nails but will crack if pushed beyond its limit.

i used a pair of those mini blind thingy's that i have never used, ever... but always keep a few around.

Idon't think i'll git to the proving grounds tonight, but for sure this weekend.

i was thinking if it's not exactly working 100% i could add some arms to it. Then end up with a template to make something a bit less... well;

~desperate~

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17597.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1232756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90720.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1232757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83092.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1232758  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: larryf333

Perhaps some of those plastic fake brake rotors would help. If alot of people are having this issue, I'd start complaining to Traxxas. They may need to redesign the hub or put larger wheels on them.

I'd just get some plastic, make some hub shields, glue them on and then sell em to everyone else. But, I don't have a Slayer to use as a test mule.
I doubt complaining to Traxxas would make any headway. I don't think they are going to stop in the middle of production just to change a wheel. I've had this happen to all my surface RC's.

Simple fix either get wheels with bigger holes or stop running in gravel.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 PM
bink 138

[quote]ORIGINAL: CarGuy7a

or stop running in gravel.
BLASPHEMER!!

Nevaah!!

Ihave to say, my POCneeds tweakin.

i had 1 lock up after the MBT's, that's 1 too many

BTTDB

Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 AM
larryf333

ORIGINAL: CarGuy7a

I doubt complaining to Traxxas would make any headway. I don't think they are going to stop in the middle of production just to change a wheel. I've had this happen to all my surface RC's.

Simple fix either get wheels with bigger holes or stop running in gravel.
If you get enough people complaining, they will fix it.

Bink, good job on those shields. I think you are on the right track, just gotta find something a little wider, or perhaps just cut them so the fit down inside the wheel. Put the shields inside the wheel where the rocks normally get. It should keep them out better.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:50 PM
CarGuy7a

If you get enough people complaining, they will fix it.
Good luck with that. LMK how it goes. I've had this problem with all my surface RC's and I've just learned not to run in gravel or get different size wheels that stuff won't get caught in them, even at that it still can happen. There's already so many different wheel sizes available to help fix the problem, I doubt that even with a ton of complaints Traxxas is going to stop production to redesign something after having God knows how many trucks already made and out the door.

With a surface RC this is going to happen no matter what vehicle it is Traxxas or not, you just gotta take it with a grain of salt and move along. It's a minor problem I doubt Traxxas is going to consume there time with, they have bigger and better things to do, Like make money and rc vehicles LOL.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM
ericjr

Thanks Guys!! I gonna try Bink 138 idea! I got alot of time now, just got home from surgery to my knee. I will try to fix all my "problems" with my trucks! Larryf333,your right ,traxxas should change it if we complain. Carguy7a ,I had a small issue with them about a failed throttle servo. They have a "warranty" on it,but in reality you are buying a new servo. I thought if they knew it was an issue they should step up. No biggie, i just thought everone says how great their customer service is, I didn't see it!.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
CarGuy7a

I'm sure they probably know there is an issue with it. I've had this happen with more than just the slayer. Yes they're customer service is great, I've used them more than once for much larger issues like my slayer having the incorrect springs on the rear from the factory. But an issue like this I don't see as worth picking up the phone and trying to get them to do something about it. They have better things to invest their R&D money into than just making a silly guard to keep a pebble out of the wheel.

Come on people, do like bink and make a little guard or something with plastic or some screen mesh and get on with it. It's a minor issue that I wouldn't even worry about or bother traxxas about. It's happened to me before many times just pick the truck up and shake it out it takes 2 freakin seconds. You all are blowing a small problem way out of proportion. What are you all going to do when a bigger problem arises? I think you all are in the wrong hobby if you let a little bitty problem like this aggrivate you half to death. It's like buying a 1:1 truck and complaining that rocks knick the paint. What do you think the manufacturer is going to do? I highly doubt they'd do anything about it.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 AM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

ya this is one of those issues that arises, and is supposed to bring the engineer side out in you so you make custom creations, and share your ideas... next thing you know you may have a product to sell that will help the mutitudes, or even just something you can share and help others avoid this problem... I agree with CarGuy, just pick it up and shake it out, that is what I do...
Old 07-11-2009, 06:19 AM
ericjr

I'm sure they probably know there is an issue with it. I've had this happen with more than just the slayer. Yes they're customer service is great, I've used them more than once for much larger issues like my slayer having the incorrect springs on the rear from the factory. But an issue like this I don't see as worth picking up the phone and trying to get them to do something about it. They have better things to invest their R&D money into than just making a silly guard to keep a pebble out of the wheel.

Come on people, do like bink and make a little guard or something with plastic or some screen mesh and get on with it. It's a minor issue that I wouldn't even worry about or bother traxxas about. It's happened to me before many times just pick the truck up and shake it out it takes 2 freakin seconds. You all are blowing a small problem way out of proportion. What are you all going to do when a bigger problem arises? I think you all are in the wrong hobby if you let a little bitty problem like this aggrivate you half to death. It's like buying a 1:1 truck and complaining that rocks knick the paint. What do you think the manufacturer is going to do? I highly doubt they'd do anything about it.
Hi, I only tried Traxxas support twice now with little result. Thankyou for telling me they helped you well. I will hopefully not need to pester them! You are right, they have better things to do than worry about rocks. When I asked this i was hoping someone did the r/d on it already Lazy I know!! I just walk over to it now and shake the rocks out,like djzachtyler said also. I actually found the easiest way to fix it was to run my savage /t-maxx first. They sweep the line for me! Then Slayer runs fine! I can always switch to revo tires. I would gear up of course. I guess this got us all talking though! I never did this forum thing before, nice way to see what other guys think. Carguy, your thing about 1.1 truck hit a bell. I was a auto tech at a chevy dealer for 5 years back in the '90s. Hearing customers complain about silly stuff reminds me of what I just did!! Thanks man for helping me!! hope we all can share ideas and tips!!
Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
CarGuy7a

Haha not a prob man. Trust me the Slayer has definately tried my patience on various little problems. But I've learned that some issues that arise that really piss you off, you have to just set the truck aside and get one of your other tried and true trucks out and have fun and not overload yourself with frustration.

I don't think the Revo tires will fit I think the O.D is too big to run with the body. Look into the 1/8 buggy tires a wheels I put up in post #5. I've got a set on mine I hardly ever get junk stuck in.

I also have a set of 3.2" MT RPM revolvers I run with Komodo dragon Low Profile tires than practically nothing get stuck in. But those are a little more pricey than 1/8 tires and wheels.

Here's a shot with the 3.2" MT's. It's not a real good shot from the side but you can tell they are MT wheels and tires.

Here's one with the 1/8 buggy tires
Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 AM
ericjr

Haha not a prob man. Trust me the Slayer has definately tried my patience on various little problems. But I've learned that some issues that arise that really piss you off, you have to just set the truck aside and get one of your other tried and true trucks out and have fun and not overload yourself with frustration.

I don't think the Revo tires will fit I think the O.D is too big to run with the body. Look into the 1/8 buggy tires a wheels I put up in post #5. I've got a set on mine I hardly ever get junk stuck in.

I also have a set of 3.2" MT RPM revolvers I run with Komodo dragon Low Profile tires than practically nothing get stuck in. But those are a little more pricey than 1/8 tires and wheels.

Here's a shot with the 3.2" MT's. It's not a real good shot from the side but you can tell they are MT wheels and tires.

Here's one with the 1/8 buggy tires
Hi, You are right! I got p.o'ed with it and pulled out a big dog! That is how I found out how to fix on cheap!! By running a M.T ,I cleaned the area good. Yea ,If I used the revo tires, I 'd have to go to revo body too,Forgot!
Tell ya the truth,forgot about your previos post.. WOWYour slayer looks bad with those rims on it!! Did they change your gearing at all??They look about the same diameter,different rim size though. Like full size "plus 1" rim upgrade!!
Thanks man for the pics! I will Defenitly look into this setup when i get money flow again!!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
CarGuy7a

Actually the 1/8th buggy wheels are not that much bigger in diameter compared to the stock tires. Maybe an 1/8th inch and about the same with the 3.2" wheels and tires.

But the 1/8th buggy wheels are definately the cheapest solution for bigger wheels. I got mine from supra sales off ebay for $14.99 a full set already mounted and glued. But then you got the price of the 17mm adapters which I think is about $17.99 so you're lookin at a little over $30 for 1/8 tire setup.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:38 PM
ericjr

Actually the 1/8th buggy wheels are not that much bigger in diameter compared to the stock tires. Maybe an 1/8th inch and about the same with the 3.2" wheels and tires.

But the 1/8th buggy wheels are definately the cheapest solution for bigger wheels. I got mine from supra sales off ebay for $14.99 a full set already mounted and glued. But then you got the price of the 17mm adapters which I think is about $17.99 so you're lookin at a little over $30 for 1/8 tire setup.
Thanks for the info! As soon as i can afford it, I'll order up the parts. I got my new servo on, forgot about the new splines on hitec servo! I had to order the new servo horn. Thanks again!!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
muttracer_61

what is the best glow plug for my slayer running 20% nitro with 10% oil?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 AM
ericjr

ORIGINAL: muttracer_61

what is the best glow plug for my slayer running 20% nitro with 10% oil?
I only used the stock plug myself. Only changed the break-in plug so far. Soryy, I don't know. Hope someone else does!!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 PM
ericjr

Hi carguy,i thought I saw you over in Traxxas's forum! Well tower sent me a email beg for a sale! I ordered a set of wheels and badlands for it! Also got the adaptors too.Thanks for your help,and I'll see you in the forums! Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 AM
MCSRacing

rock's getting caught between the wheel and carrier on r/c cars is common .. all my cars and trucks get them caught when i get stupid in the gravel " but its sooo much fun though" LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.