Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Lifetime Engine replacement plan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Traxxas Lifetime Engine replacement plan

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:46 PM
rustler1882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Lifetime Engine replacement plan

Hey any body kno the deal with the traxxas engine replacement plan? Nothing really wrong with my 2.5 other than im sick of tryn to tune it, been so finicky and wanna upgrade to the 3.3 which i heard is alot more reliable but i've been told a couple different prices one store told me 115 with the engine trade and i heard 85 from another... is there a standard rate from traxxas themselves??? Not sure what to do or if i should even bother and just go with a totally diff engine like the OS? Also I see alot of engines with size as .15 .18 .12 etc how does the 2.5trx or 3.3 trx convert to that size??? I guess what Im askin is what size are the two engines (the 2.5 & 3.3) ??? .18?? .21??? Thanks guys
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM
dittch
Banned

Default RE: Traxxas Lifetime Engine replacement plan

ORIGINAL: rustler1882

Hey any body kno the deal with the traxxas engine replacement plan? Nothing really wrong with my 2.5 other than im sick of tryn to tune it, been so finicky and wanna upgrade to the 3.3 which i heard is alot more reliable but i've been told a couple different prices one store told me 115 with the engine trade and i heard 85 from another... is there a standard rate from traxxas themselves??? Not sure what to do or if i should even bother and just go with a totally diff engine like the OS? Also I see alot of engines with size as .15 .18 .12 etc how does the 2.5trx or 3.3 trx convert to that size??? I guess what Im askin is what size are the two engines (the 2.5 & 3.3) ??? .18?? .21??? Thanks guys
I believe the replacement plan is you turn in your engine and get credit towards the purchase of a replacement. I think it's approximately 1/2 off the new engine, but could be wrong. Bought my brother a traxxas years ago for xmas and remember reading about this in the paperwork.

I would highly recommend you go to an OS engine if you're willing to try something different.

On the engine size, the 2.5 is a .15 and the 3.3 is approximately a .20
There are 2 types of units commonly used for displacement on these engines. One is cubic inches (ci) and the other is cubic centimeters (cc). Example: the traxxas 2.5 is 2.5cc or .15 ci.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 PM
jikkuria

at my lhs, they only give $20 off, though another does half, so i believe that it varies. i had the 2.5 and the 3.3, and they were equally reliable, though the 3.3 is noticeably more powerful. as for the os, a .18tz will make any st a land missile.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM
rustler1882

Thanks guys!!! Couldnt ask for a better explanation - if i do go with the os .18tz - what should i expect to pay jus so i know im not getting ripped off?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 18tz goes for around $179.99 new for the pullstart version if you shop around you should be able to get one a little cheaper. I have one in my RC10GT and it is a rocket. if you wanted to save a few buck you could go with something along the lines of the OS 18 CVR which runs around $129.99 I had one in an HPI firestorm and an HPI MT2. It doesn't have quite as much power but it is close and I found that it is a little easier to tune. If I was in the market for another small block engine I would probably give the LRP Z.18S Pro Spec 2 a try. I have owned this one yet but I have heard some very good reviews about this engine. power wise it falls somewhere in between the 18 TZ and the CVR but it is even cheaper at $119.99. Like I said I haven't owned one of these engine yet but I recently bought an LRP Z.28 Spec 3 for my savage and it is an awesome motor with ton of power and is very easy to tune. If that is any indication of how the LRP 18 should perform.

Another option for you is to check out the used market you can get great deals on any of these engines if you get them used. don't feel like you are limited to just size .18 engines either. there are lots of after market .12's that offer good smooth power bands with tons of top end revs which is really what gives you your high speeds anyway.

I also have a old nitro rustler with the 2.5 and I have found that it holds a tune pretty well but it is lacking in power. if you upgrade to anyu of the engine I have mentioned you will see a huge difference power wise.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
rustler1882

Thanks All, Much Help!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
MonsterKawi314
My Feedback: (1)

Man I'll say this... I just traded my 2.5 in for a 3.3, and yes, I got it for like $115.00 as compared to $159.00. Not exactly half but very discounted... LOL! And like yourself I had a 2.5 with absolutely nothing wrong with it. I don't know how experienced of a driver you are but the 3.3 is VERY POWERFUL! Mine pulls second gear wheelies like theres no tomorrow. In my opinion the 3.3 is great for racing and bashing. Plus theres a whole list of things you can upgrade later if you feel the need to for your 3.3. I have a THS racing exhaust and a couple of other small mods. But I know of guys who swap carbs and do port and polish work and make the 3.3 almost uncontrollable. I'd say turn in the 2.5, get your 3.3 and watch it blast by you at 65+... STOCK! Its your call, but I thought I'd elaborate on my recent experience with the replacement plan. I am very very satisfied with my 3.3. Good luck and let us know what you choose and how it runs.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Chris_RC

A powerful engine is worse for racing, not better. 2wd needs a .12 engine. The .20 3.3 is really only for onroad wheelies. If you try to run it on a track it is uncontrollable.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

A powerful engine is worse for racing, not better. 2wd needs a .12 engine. The .20 3.3 is really only for onroad wheelies. If you try to run it on a track it is uncontrollable.
+1

Chris is right, the 3.3 is only really tamed on a track whenin a 4WD vehicle like the slayer or revo...