Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

New Firestorm 10t owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 PM
hollow_point

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Firestorm 10t owner

So like the title says, i just ordered a Firestorm the other day from tower hobbies. got a great deal and all. below is a list of the things that i have ordered/picked up at a LHS;

Firestorm 10t RTR
Hobbico after run oil
HPI Glow plug w/charger
HPI fuel bottle
traxxas 50000k diff oil
traxxas filter oil
byron 20% nitro fuel

Is there anything that I am missing or should purchase before the truck gets here? Right now, I am justlooking to buy a hump pack (w/charger) for the truck, and an inline fuel filter, just not sure where I should purchase this from. Any help would be appreciated and if you guys have any tips/links for a new nitro owner, that would be awesome. thanks guys, and cant wait till it gets here

Old 07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
HPIguy597

Default RE: New Firestorm 10t owner

Congrats on the purcahse! You will love the Storm, its a great truck. You should also check out the "official firestorm thread," great info. As far as other things needed, i would pick up some air filter oil, some more glow plugs, and maybe upgrade the electronics(radio, servos, etc.)You can also find fuel filters and hump packs atyour local LHS. Hope this helped!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:03 PM
hollow_point

yea i already got some air filter oil and actually bought two other glow plugs the other day at the LHS. i will most likely be upgrading the servos too later in the summer after its all tuned and broken in. ill look into that as well. thanks for the info
Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 PM
HPIguy597

No prob. I uesd Hitec's 645MG servo for steering and just a standard Futaba servo for throttle/brake. Seems to work pretty good.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
hollow_point

thanks ill look into that. on a side note, does anyone know a good failsafe i can use for this specific model? ill prob be looking into installing that when i get it as well
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

The fuel tank has a fuel filter that comes with it, so you won't need an extra in-line one. It sounds like you've definitely done your research. As for the fail safe, it doesn't really matter which one you get.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
hollow_point

i just try to read up on some stuff here and there and hope it helps me in the future. thanks for the help. as for the failsafe, does anyone have any experience with dynamite? i hear they are good units and quite small
Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 PM
HPIguy597

I've had bad luck with Dynamite. I would suggest an OFNA failsafe, i've heard they're pretty decent.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:32 AM
hollow_point

alright cool thanks for the heads up. anyone else have any experience with the dynamite ones? i was reading up on ofna last nite and they seemed pretty good
Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
HPIguy597

I would also pick up a laser temp gauge,(I think HPI makes a goodone). Any temp gauge helps out while youre just starting up in nitro!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM
hollow_point

i was thinking about it but debating wether if i would need one or not. do you guys use yours often, and when would you use it? im guessing the engine has to be at a certain temp before tuning right
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
HPIguy597

Well I use the Venom on-board temp gauge, it has a sensor that wraps around the bottom fin of the heat sink.Its not the most accurate, but it works and gets you in the ballpark. I'd much rather have a laser one. But just make sure that there is alot of smoke coming from your pipe. There should be at least a thin trail coming out all the time.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
hollow_point

yea im thinking if i do get one ill get an hpi laser temp gauge. will be a lot easier to use
Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Chris_RC

I use the HPI Temp Gun. It is in fact very accurate for a $30 guage. I would go with that or the PE-1 temp guage which is $25. Whatever YOU like the looks of more. Temp guages help beginners out so they dont run too rich or too lean, it gets them in the ballpark of a tune. You can solely tune by temp, but there are far too many variables so I tune by performance, then check the temp to see if it is between 200-290.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
HPIguy597

+1 ^^^^^^^
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
bink 138

Start putting a field box together. I'm using a plastic SnapOn toolbox with a removable tray. Kind of small, just what you need out there.

Go into the LHSwhen buying the 5cell recharge kit. They can set you up with the proper charger and how to use it. My guys even soldered on the proper connectors for me. Plus you get to drooool all over the cars.

Get a spare Air filter or 2, theyre cheap and won't cramp your drive time or force you to ride dirty. Keep that air filter pristeen... every hour if its dusty.

little things like zip ties, shop towels, hand cleaner, spare batteries... anything you think you will need. My field toolbox is my 2nd favorite thing about nitro RC, but it's a far cry from what i had in it on my first break in.

super glue
electrical tape
hemos
an air compressor or canned air
swiss army knife...

and a plastic surgeon to remove the perma-grin.

good luck with your break in.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM
hollow_point

yup im gonna be heading back to the LHS sometime next week to pick up a hump pac, charger, and some spare filters. after that i think i should be good to go