Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Clutch problem on my firestorm 10t

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
shadowblade945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem on my firestorm 10t

So after hours of trying to fix my firestorm, which wasn't idleing and wouldn't start without it being at about 1/2 throttle, i finaly gave up and took it to my local hobbie store. They disassembled the engine and found that the the clutch spring was out of wack and it was not allowing the gear to disengage, thus the engine was starting under a load and stalled at low rpms. He fixed it without replacing the spring but after runnning two tanks through it this afternoom it seems to be having the same problem. He said if it happened again then it was probably bad. How much are these things to replace and would HPI send a free replacement? Its only a few days old and has only had 5-6 tanks through it.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
nate4

Default RE: Clutch problem on my firestorm 10t

I had the same problem this s what the guy told me to do.

It sounds like the spring that holds the two clutch shoes broke.
Pull out the spur gear then unscrew the clutchbell and check the spring out.
You can verify the clutch by spinning the spur gear by hand and if it fells like something is scratching and you hear a noise inside the clutch bell then it's the clutch.
Since this is a common (but minor) problem with the Firestorm and most of us encountered it, I tend to believe that this is what's bothering you too.
Get a savage 3 shoe clutch assembly, complete with flywheel, shoes, springs and collet, fit it on the engine just like your standard clutch system and you're ready to go.
I had this problem too and like most other people here resorted to this solution. It's rock solid.
Since you had your header loose, check out the header gasket to see if it's still in one piece and fit a new one if not then threadlock the screwsthat hold down the header and tighten them up.

Good luck and always have the manual at hand to double check what you're doing.

Cheers. 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:11 AM
shadowblade945

Were might i get a Savage clutch assembly? Can you get them all together or do you have to buy them all seperate and how much will this cost?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 AM
HPIguy597

I put on a traxxas two-shoe Rustler clutch with a high-stall spring, and it pulls wheelies like no other! It was like $3 cheaper than the HPI replacement too.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
nate4

http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_3_Pc_Clutch_Set_Savage_p/hpi87153.htm

Thats the piece