Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

jato 1/4 tank cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:39 PM
kzimmerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jato 1/4 tank cutoff

Allright, a buddy of mine has a jato 3.3, and about 1/4 of the way through the tank, it suddenly quits and won't restart until it's cooled off. I'm assuming that he's got an air leak, so how do you check the motor? The engine only has about a gallon through it, although he doesn't tune very much, although he's never run it lean. Most of the time it's a little on the rich side. Is there anything else that could be causing this?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
hyper701

Default RE: jato 1/4 tank cutoff

check the fuel lines, even a pin hole can cause the engine to run like poo, and cause starting dramers. also check that the tank seal seals properly, if it does not you will loose back pressure causing the engine to stop.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like its pinch is bad. I have 2 older engines that's pinch is shot they run fine for 5 minutes than die out completely and will not turn over till cold again.

There is a guy that re-pinches sleeves for like $20 or so (pretty sure his names ray, someone else might have his sites link) that is supposedly pretty good.(never bothered getting a sleeve re-pinched yet)

A quote from the RC wikki ( http://radiocontrol.wikia.com/wiki/N...roubleshooting )
"A nitro engine requires the sleeve to 'pinch' the piston to maintain proper compression during operation. One can test an engine's pinch by removing the glow plug and rotating the flywheel while watching the pistons movement. As the piston comes to TDC (top dead center) the sleeve should 'pinch' the piston head, causing some resistance, if you can't feel any it is time to get re-pinched or replace sleeve/piston. "
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM
kzimmerman

The pinch seems like a likely culprit, however it seems to have good compression when warm. Also, we tested the fuel system by shutting the high speed needle and and blowing into the pressure line. There was no leakage detected after we cleaned the gasketon the fuel tank. I'll see about testing the pinch.