RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Nitro Stadium Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/)
-   -   -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-nitro-stadium-trucks-243/5074112-%3Dofficial-hpi-firestorm-thread%3D.html)

Goldski 2 01-29-2010 04:37 PM

RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

looks cool, i want to get one

JUBE 01-29-2010 04:42 PM

I also want one, but here in Argentina and is still to come hear about

nitro-rob 01-29-2010 05:58 PM

The 1mm gap is a guideline, you may have to go wider for your truck. How old is your firestorm and how much fuel have you run through it?

I like the bullet - its the hot bodies lightning chassis that was discontinued around a year ago. I am thinking about getting the brushless version but have to think hard because I have too many RCs already.

Blueroost40 01-29-2010 06:54 PM

I just bought it off my buddy who had it for a year or so before i took it off him. Next time i start it up ill try and turn the idle screw up a bit and see if that makes a difference. Thanks a lot for the advice.</p>

nitro-rob 01-29-2010 07:07 PM

The next question is what is the compression like - can you lift the truck off the ground by the pull cord? Does the clutch spring hold the shoes on very tightly? It doesn't need to be broken off to cause problems, if its loose it will engage at lower than expected RPM.

Road Warrior 01-30-2010 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of the two nitro storms and the idler gearing that I made.

nitro-rob 01-30-2010 08:44 AM

How does the idler gear work direction-wise? Doesn't it turn the differential the opposite way now? What is your final gear ratio? Did you cut your head or is that aftermarket?

Road Warrior 01-30-2010 01:10 PM

The idler works great. It is a 16 tooth clutch bell. The idler is a 20 tooth turning a 14 tooth gear mounted on front axles with a 22 tooth spur gear. As long as the gears aren't staggered like in the trans it doesn't make a differance in the tooth size inbetween the clutch and the spurr. It is a 5.65 right now and if I switch the 20 and 22 it is a 5.13 which is a bit much. Last year it was doing 72mph with the 5.65 in 175 feet. I had a video of it but my kid formatted the memory card in my camera so waiting until the weather gets better now to do another one. Plus since then I drilled and cut to shed 1/4 pound off of it so that will help. The head was cut down for the winter.

nitro-rob 01-30-2010 01:24 PM

I'm still not clear on this. It looks to me like the spur gear turns the opposite direction. It obviously works but there is something I am not getting.

Road Warrior 01-30-2010 01:41 PM

There is a 1/2 inch gap inbetween the spur and clutch bell and the other 2 gears are mounted on the plate so that they have enough slide to drop into the drive gears like a upside down u. With it being 4 gears it has the same drive direction as before. It is a little bit more weight to turn but it coasts better than any other rc truck I have seen.

nitro-rob 01-30-2010 01:56 PM

That makes more sense, I didn't see the fourth gear. So you don't use the transmission then? Is it tight like the tranny? Just asking because the gears are held from one side and not both.

Road Warrior 01-30-2010 02:03 PM

That's why there is a hole in the chassis from a earlier design. This one is mounted on the chassis with a nut and bolt in 2 places and it won't go anywhere. The plus to using metal gears for this is the sound that it makes when it is spooling up.

JUBE 01-30-2010 03:56 PM

could put more photos of all the work done? THANKS

Blueroost40 01-30-2010 03:57 PM

Nitro rob, i pulled the pull start and could not get the car off the ground, and i noticed when it started that theres is a small puddle of fuel around one of the motor mounts. This is leading me top believe there is a compression issue. How do i go about fixing this? im about to do a tear down so if you need more info ill come back on after im done and give more info. 

nitro-rob 01-30-2010 04:57 PM

It still may be okay with compression, that is just a qualitative test. You should be able to turn the flywheel into the compression stroke and it won't push through, at least not easily. If you can turn it through the compression stroke easily you have a compression problem. If this is the case then you are likely experiencing flame-out. The engine starts but when it warms up or revvs up it can't hold compression and flakes out. If you can come to cambridge I have a gauge that could tell this better but you should be able to tell by your hand.

If thats the case you need a new motor or a new piston and sleeve (the fuel leak isn't promising either), or need to get your piston and sleeve pinched.

Blueroost40 01-30-2010 07:56 PM

OK, just found out theres a crack in the engine block right from the mount on the motor to somewhere inside the motor. Is there any fix for to bond the two pieces or do i need a new motor?</p>

nitro-rob 01-30-2010 08:01 PM

I wouldn't try to seal it - its time for a new motor. If you get another G3 you will at least have some spare parts.

yakfish 01-30-2010 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Blueroost40

OK, just found out theres a crack in the engine block right from the mount on the motor to somewhere inside the motor. Is there any fix for to bond the two pieces or do i need a new motor?</p>
If your motor is still running Ok it wouldn't hurt to try some JB weld on it. and if it doesn't work then maybe get yourself a new motor.

Blueroost40 01-30-2010 09:50 PM

Yea, jsut got the motor out and the front mount that attaches to the motor snapped clean off. I didnt think trying to put it back on would work to well so im thinking about a new motor. I read on the hpi website about doiung the trade in thing but it says USA customers only. Anyone know anything about still being able to do the exchange if you dont live in the US?</p>

nitro-rob 01-30-2010 10:43 PM

You can do an exchange. Ask your local hobby shop about it (try hobby hobby in Mississauga). Running a motor that has been sealed is less than ideal and you don't want the potential hassles that come with that considering the price of a new motor that is guaranteed to be trouble free.

Blueroost40 01-31-2010 01:52 PM

Dont really feel like going to mississauga, id go to action hobbies in brampton, would they be able to send my motor to hpi do you think?

nitro-rob 01-31-2010 03:00 PM

From the HPI website:

"This exchange is for HPI USA customers only. If you are located outside of North America, please contact your nearest HPI branch or HPI distributor for information about their exchange policy. HPI USA does not ship overseas for exchange engines."

Canadians are HPI USA customers. It doesn't mean USA only, HPI USA is the name of a part of the company and they serve north america. We don't get service through HPI Europe or HPI Japan here. You can send it to them directly.

Blueroost40 01-31-2010 04:51 PM

ok, yea, just got off the phone with my LHS and they told me that i can send my motor in and do the exchange. So looks like ill be getting a brand spankin new g3.0! =D for $65.00 =(

yakfish 01-31-2010 05:09 PM

Back when I had my Firestorm I did the engine exchange too. when I got it I never mounted it. I sold it as a brand new unused engine and used the money from the sale to buy an OS 18CVR. you might want to consider doing something like that. Just my $.02

here is an old Video of it right after break in running rich. crappy quality.
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...vidpics003.flv

Blueroost40 01-31-2010 07:20 PM

It'd be cool to do something like that however, just 1 thing. I read earlier in this thread somewhere that if you;re going for performance and all that jazz that the OS .18 TZ is the better choice. Any truth to that? and how much does the cvr and tz cost?