Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

masking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:15 PM
trckey2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default masking

i am having a hard time grasping the concept of masking, i get the idea to keep paint from getting to one spot, like window masks and some patters, i wanna do a flag on a viper body for my T4 or my tc, should look sweet. what is liquid mask?, how should i do basic masking?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:08 PM
cant drive

Default RE: masking

I don't know but am very interested myself.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:43 PM
gm72

Liquid masking film (LMF) is a thick liquid that you paint on and allow to dry. You then use an x-acto knife and cut patterns in it and it will peel away from the body. Most people agree that Bob Dively LMF is the best out there. It dries clear so you can use a marker to draw on the outside of the body then cut on the inside for your patterns. Use several coats. Very easy to use and provides consistently good results.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM
s2flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Try Bob Dively Liquid masking film. You can see how to use it by going to aero-accessories.com and click on the applications button below the product.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
trckey2

hmm, ok, since then i did a fade job on a hummer though, but i will still look thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 02:21 PM
NiTr0

what is the best way to apply liquid mask.. paint it on with a brush or water it down a bit and spray it on with a spray bottle?? I don't have a compressor or airbrush. thx
Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 PM
trckey2

brush i think
Old 07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
evomac

You definitly want to use a brush for liquid mask. You want to do about 4-5 good thick coats of it on the body. Let each coat sit for about 20 minutes + and then let the final product sit overnight before you start marking it up.

Also I'd recomend drawing directly on the liquid mask that way when you cut it out you are getting rid of the marker as well.