Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Liquid Mask + paper "insert" possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:18 AM
evomac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid Mask + paper "insert" possible?

I am getting ready to do my first full scale paint job for the buggy that I am building at the current moment. Right now I have a color theme going throughout the the car itself and plan on carrying that to the outside of the body.

I have been drawing on templates I created in Photoshop for about a week now and I'm about 90% finalized on the design. Most of the body is going to be a series of fades, however since I am not personally a fan of vinyl stickers (nothing against them by any means, just not my personal taste) I am going to add a couple of self designed accents to the body.

Now onto the question I have (with a short story of course ). As helpful as hand sketches are, I will be the first one to tell you that my freehand drawing abilities are mediocre at best but tracing is perfectly fine. Which in a way is causing me to hit a roadblock with my project. Typically people do the standard body prep, then apply about 4 coats of liquid mask to the body, then use a sharpie to draw their design, exacto it out, etc... I am wondering if I were to apply 3 coats of liquid mask, let that dry, take a cut out of a design that I created via Photoshop and printed it on transparent paper, apply 2 coats of liquid mask and allow that to dry.

If done carefully when applying the liquid mask will the paper dry in its proper place, in turn causing a very simple guide for me to exacto out my design? I've never seen it done but logistically it seems like it could work. If so I know the project will look a lot better then if I were to try and draw the design.

As always regards in advance,

-Evo-
Old 06-26-2006, 03:23 AM
JFACKY

Default RE: Liquid Mask + paper "insert" possible?

I'm new to painting also, but couldn't you try your idea on a small piece of scrap using a simple design before trying it on the body??
Old 06-26-2006, 04:12 AM
Jeff_OKC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Liquid Mask + paper "insert" possible?

Cool idea! I like it!

I haven't tried it but unless the LM eats through the paper it should work just fine. If I remember I'll try it out on a scrap in the next day or two... but if you have some scrap from your body (hopefully you didn't throw that out yet) you can give it a try as well.