Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Lessons learned painting this Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 08:18 AM
1stPlaceRace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons learned painting this Excursion

I just finished this double flame pattern and I learned a few things. I tried spraying a coat of faskoat (clear). as the first coat . My theory was the clear coat would help prevent small runs under the masking. It worked to a small degree, but when the masking was removed from the first set of flames (the ones in the black) the edges did not come out crisp. I believe this was due to faskoats thick glue type properties. Anyways my advice when using tape type masking is dont use faskoat as a first coat.

This body took about 9 hours over the last week. First the flames toward the rear were traced onto SmarTape from a stencil made from a used up parma pre cut masking sheet. After cutting the SmarTape on a hard surface I applied the cut flames around the body about 1/2 inch apart.Then I applied liquid mask on the front and all the way up to where the flames started. I made the flames connect at the gaps with liquid mask. I hate cutting inside the body, but only having to do the little half loops to connect the flames is easy.

After I had sprayed 5 light coats of gloss fasblack I removed the masking. I then repeated the masking process for the front row of flames, then painted the red, then the yellow and backed it with white. Finally I removed the front row af masking and repeated the painting process.

The flame colors are Fasflourescent red and Fasflourescent yellow. The red turns red/orange after the yellow goes on. And of course it all has a white backing.

Thanks and good luck on your next painting project. Stan www.1stplacerace.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65018_30116.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	39915  
Old 03-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Tronjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons learned painting this Excursion

absolutely awesome paint job!!