Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Futaba 18MZ ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
PeterP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba 18MZ ???

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a new radio in the next few months and read on another forum about a new Futaba 18MZ with integrated 2.4 and telemetry. Not sure if this is true so I thought I would ask to see if anyone knows a little more.

I am in the market for a new 14MZ however I am prepared to hold off 3-6 months to see if anything new gets released. I have had a long layoff from flying aerobatics and had been flying a Futaba ZAP WC2 at the time. I may just consider purchasing a new 2.4G module and reciever for the WC2 and use it for the time being. Anyone had any experience with updating the WC2 with the Futaba FASST 2.4 Ghz module?

Peter

Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 18MZ ???

Completely affiliated with the other camp, however I think it's safe to say, given the information about radio design that I've learned, that something like that won't happen any time soon.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Silent-AV8R

As much as I hate to say it, and may the sponsor Gods strike me dead for doing so, I agree with Ryan. Are there new radios in the mill? Certainly there are. But I would not hold my breath waiting for them.

Really we have sort of reached a point of what's next? I use a 14MZ and I am not even close to using 100% of its capabilities. 18 channels? OK, not sure what I would do with them, but OK. While there are a number of little things I would like to see I am not certain that if a new top end radio came out tomorrow that I would feel any strong need to buy it.

But there are some things I would like to see sooner. Brushless HV servos, which have been released in Japan, and adjusting the ratings of current servos to show them as being OK with 6 volt systems would be nice.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Elation1

I have used a ZAP WC2 with a TM7 module since the beginning of 2009. Using a 617 RX I have found it to be rock solid with no issues to report. I use a mini tray (hold the trannie in the normal manner) to enable the tansmitter to balance without the aerial extended. One final thing, 2.4 aerial points out from the rear of the transmitter, i.e. at 90 degrees to the back, in use so a small hole has to be cut in the tray for this to protude. No problem. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Aresti-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

9Z WCII with Futaba TM-8 here. Flawless so far. I used Futaba 6106, 608 and 6008 Rx's, and now FrSky "clones". The only thing I can complain is the need to use a switch to change between 7 and 8 channel modes (6106 Rx is a 7ch mode unit) Not a big problem but my 12Z changes through the software when you select the corresponding model.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:33 AM
jim woodward

Peter - I'm sure the Jet & Scale community can figure out what to do with an 18 vs 14 MZ. They are highly attuned to the intricacies of the programming, and able to reduce extraneous electrical do-dads like gear door sequencers. The precision heli guys are also use the programming to a very high degree of its capability. The "split rudder" on Chip's newer planes has been just about the only increase in radio setup complexity for a pattern plane in the last few years - which the 14 MZ handles flawlessly. Basically though, I think 90% of all pattern pilots simply use dual rates or conditions for Normal, Snap, or Spin.

The 9WCII on 2.4 will serve you very well. The 8FG, 12FG, 12Z, 14MZ, are all very intuitive to operate. Notably, if you use conditions, you will not see servo center's change when you switch conditions, as you may see on the 9WC from time to time. The newest 8 channel has awesome programming capability on a newer platform - don't forget to include it if you are considering a new radio.
Thanks Jim W.
Team Futaba
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Silent-AV8R

No doubt that the jets and scale will be able to find uses, but that is a small slice of the RC pie. Most of the clamor I hear about an 18 channel radio seems to be coming from outside those two groups as well. I am betting on a 16+2 radio. The S-Bus stuff all touts 16 servos and the servo programmer has 16 channels to select on it. So 16 proportional channels plus 2 on/off channels.

A built in RF deck would be nice just for looks. A bigger or better battery would be cool too. SD card will likely be the deal too. Maybe even a built in S-Bus programmer?? Perhaps direct computer connection too? Do away with the cards?

Regardless, I will be very surprised if we see anything on sale any time soon.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The big reason I'd like to see more channels is to give the ability to reduce all the extra nonsense that people need to put into airplanes to gang servos together on giant scale stuff. If I could run 8 aileron servos (I like bipes), 4 elevator servos, 4 rudder servos, and throttle servo all from a single receiver without using Y's, matchboxes, etc. I'd be happy.

I think a lot of the people though are just of the mind that 'more' is better regardless of what it is or if they'd even use it.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Regardless, I will be very surprised if we see anything on sale any time soon.
Bill, I'm betting against you.

Jim
Old 02-05-2011, 02:44 PM
PeterP

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies as it has given me something to think about. I agree that the radios currently available will do more than I need however my interest in the newer technology is the additional features we will see in the next generation of radios. The telemetry references which I have read about could alert the pilot when the receiver battery pack is getting low, the amount of capacity remaining in the main battery pack which powers your electric motor could be transmitted in real-time to your TX etc.

The 14MZ I believe is over 7-8 years old now and is probably due for a upgrade therefore I just dont want to purchase knowing the product could be soon replaced.

As for the other radios available I want a radio which has a least the condition capability of my WC2 as a minimum therefore reviewing the Futaba comparison chart my choices are limited to the 12ch radios and above. My requirements are I need at least 4 conditions which I can activate either by switch or gimbal stick position therefore the 12FGA is the base level - Please correct me if I am wrong.

The only concern I have with my WC2 is the age. It was purchased in 1999 and it has been a fairly reliable radio. It has not been used in over 5 years and the biggest concern is all the interconnecting cables and ribbon cable connections between all the various boards. All I see there is a mine field as these connections will give problems over time.

Thanks again

Peter
Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: PeterP

The 14MZ I believe is over 7-8 years old now and is probably due for a upgrade therefore I just dont want to purchase knowing the product could be soon replaced.
6 years right now. I got mine March 1, 2005. I'm hoping they do not make any major changes, I just learned some new stuff this past weekend!! I'm not sure I could handle a whole new radio [&:]
Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

I still use my airtronis stylus , with the acro/aero card and a 50 model memory card

i guess you can tell i'm in no hurry to upgrade . LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Peter,
I don't think you need to be concerned about connection issues with your Futaba WC. I have 2 9ZAPS radios and 2 9ZAPS WC radios all working flawlessly. The oldest 9ZAPS is 16 years old and has about 5,000 flights on it with no Tx issues. I have had 3 crashes flying these radios in that time period: 1 mid-air (ouch []); 1 Rx battery failure [:'(]; and one elevator linkage failure (put the servo arm back on, but forgot the screw... [:@][:@]).
Have a Futaba service center check over the radio if you have concerns, but I think they are pretty well made. I will be upgrading to a FASST system eventually.
Regards,
Will B.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the telemetry goes.. isn't it technically illegal by current pattern rules in that it's a closed-loop control system?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah Doug, telemetry back to the pilot is still illegal but information transmitted back and forth between the TX and RX for the safe operation is perfectly ok. I'm not really sure how telemetry would help anyone out in competition as I tend to watch the plane, not the TX screen but if you had your caller feeding altitude, wings level, distance, airspeed and groundspeed information into your ear it might be helpful.

On the subject of a possible 18MZ, surely a simple software update for the 14MZ for another 4 analogue channels would be easy enough, after all there are 11 discrete analogue (+ the two extra trim clickers) inputs and a boatload of digital inputs on the 14MZ already for 12+2 output...
Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
PeterP

Hi Doug,

There was a discussion about this very point on some other thread not too long ago. The FAI may need to clarify that ruling so it only applies to flight control systems only. Systems which provide information about the health and status of the flight airborne systems can only make the hobby safer.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12Z vs 14MZ

Except for the touch screen, photo capability, and the mp3 features of the 14MZ, what major benefits would I gain from the 14MZ vs the 12Z Futaba radio, except for the fact I could almost purchase a CARF Mustang airframe for the cost difference?

Please help!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Jon Wold

It's mostly the other way round, the 12Z has many benefits over the 14MZ like battery life and price. I don't see any advantages to color screens and I see 14MZ pilots carrying two batteries and a charger to the field all the time.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Henning

My opinion: The 14MZ is more intuitive to use when it comes to programming.

Fact: the 14MZ drains the battery faster than the 12Z.

Regards,
Henning
14MZ owner
Old 03-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Jon Wold

And you know deep down everyone secretly wants a 14MZ :-)
Old 03-11-2011, 04:52 PM
WARBIRDRCER

I understand the battery issue. I built a jet for a friend who has the 14MZ. I really liked the radio and its touch screen programing. However, it was a requirment to have the second battery and the charger in use throughout the day at the field. Hech, I have an 8 UAPS I can fly all weekend without a charge.

I read that the 12Z uses the same battery as the 14MZ, so what extends the battery life?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I think you know you're doing good when your radio has more channels than your television. I am half-way there
Old 03-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Jon Wold

ORIGINAL: WARBIRDRCER

I read that the 12Z uses the same battery as the 14MZ, so what extends the battery life?

Thanks
The second processor that drives the Windows CE graphic interface, i.e. the color touchscreen. The 12Z doesn't have any of that.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:45 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Thanks for the info. Is there another battery that can extend the service life at the field?
Does the 12 run close to the 14 in ability, but with another set-up method?

I have read through the instruction book of the 12, but can not seem to answer the above question.

I have used my friends 14 for the past 2 years with his planes and programming and was very impressed with it. I would hate to lose a lot of the functions of the 14 to go to the 12, but cash is a factor if the race between the two is close.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 07:51 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Look what I found from Futaba.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.