Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Could our hobby be considered a Sport?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Could our hobby be considered a Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Malydilnar
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could our hobby be considered a Sport?

Hey guys, I'm in a little bit of a dilema right now. Since I go to high school ,I have to have a certain amount of P.E. (Physical Education) credit. I used to play hockey and get my credit that way, but recently my schedule has not allowed me to play sports after school. I also can't take P.E. during school as a class because It would hinder my school and class schedule. Because I need a certain amount of P.E. credit before I graduate (I'm a sophmore right now) I was wondering wether flying competitive rc pattern could be considered a sport? If It is a sport, then I could easily rack up credit and it would look good on my high school resume. It would also give me and my dad an excuse for mom to go flying

Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Could our hobby be considered a Sport?

I'd love to say yes to help you out, but anything you can do in street clothes is not a sport!
Poker should not be on ESPN!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 PM
tschuy

I would have to agree with underdw. I would think the intent of the requirement is to have a physical activity that gets your heart rate above what is developed from sitting in front of a TV or Computer. sk your school counselor to help you balance your academic schedule. As stated you're a sophmore so you still have some time. Sorry that this may be not what you would want to hear, but it happens and we grow from it...
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After being doing martial arts for more than 16 years and playing soccer for more than 10, considering aeromodeling a sport really makes me laugh, but, it actualy is a sport.

Check with the goverment branch who handles sports, and it's web page, aeromodeling should be listed, and I say aeromodeling as that is considered a sport, not just pattern, many countries list aeromodeling as a sport.

Hope this helps to get you in the right direction to find a valid answer,

PD. kneeling to start a engine or install batteries will not get stronger abs!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I would agree it is a sport if flying is done at a competitive level. Very similar to the game of golf. An incredible amount of thought and perserverance goes into cometitive pattern flying; it is nothing like the average Joe flying ont eh weekend - it has purpose. I know a few freinds who make their living from flying model airplanes competitively.

I pull my son from school a few times a year to attend events with me on the jet scene. Once I explained to the school councilors and teachers what we were doing and show them some video footage and magazine coverage with his name in print of his flying they supported the activity to it's entirety. Hope it works out for you.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:40 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I'm reminded of the movie "Kingpin" and the part of the movie where they go into the bowling alley and say, "What an honor to be here with all these great athletes!" Cue the view of the 10 guys with beer guts scarfing down donuts!

It is a sport but not an athletic one, at least not pattern. Maybe Free-Flight Towline. Or hand launch. Maybe the Discus Launch gliders. But not pattern!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

"Bull-fighting, Sky-Diving and Auto-Racing are sports, everything else is just a game!" LOL I can't remember who said that but it's always fun to say it to someone at a Sports bar.

John Pavlick
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 AM
jgg215

When you put a plane in the top of a tall tree a mile away from the field through a swamp.......

Old 12-16-2011, 12:34 PM
rcprecision
My Feedback: (6)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What Wikipedia says...

Sport may be competitive, where a winner or winners can be identified by objective means, and may require a degree of skill, especially at higher levels

Sports are usually governed by a set of rules or customs.

I'd say the answer is Yes...
Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

I believe that FAI is recognised as an extension of Olympics or something like that, i know they are connected somehow.

Chuck
Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 PM
jgg215

From the wiki-

The FAI was founded at a conference held in Paris 12-14 October 1905, which was organised following a resolution passed by the Olympic Congress held in Brussels on 10 June 1905 calling for the creation of an Association "to regulate the sport of flying, ...

Guess flight is considered a sport- at least when you put your thumbs in the plane
Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Sport, yes. But physical education it is not.

Ride a bike to school.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 AM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a SPORT... why we have to start a thread for this...asking a question is this a sport?...

Some funny games like just putting a ball in the hole can be a big sport... so in comparison our Aeromodelling is way a head & highly technical which requires lot of skills I hope all all F3A pilots can understand what i mean..
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 AM
wind junkie

I think most people who have no idea what pattern (or R/C flying) is will not likely classify what we do with our thumbs (and brains and skills) as a sport no matter how you try to explain it to them.

A lot of friends who play golf admit it's a "game" and not a sport. And golf is much more althletic than flying R/C.

Convincing my gym teacher to give me PE credit for my airplane hobby is something I would never try. In rare cases I've heard of merging cross country running with sailplane flying, but we're not talking about breaking a sweat or raising a heartbeat beyond what "getting nervous" would ever do.

On ethical grounds, I think you have no legs to stand on here.