Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ESC Options - Jeti?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC Options - Jeti?

What are the latest opinions for best ESC with respect to cost, weight, and performance? I am planning my first 2m plane and am wondering if there is a lighter ESC than my CC ICE2 HV80 without going overboard in cost.

I haven't yet chosen a motor, but likely candidates are Hacker outrunner, or hopefully a Pletty or Hacker inrunner
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM
danamania

Default RE: ESC Options - Jeti?

Hi Joe M, I've actually been impressed by the number of top pattern guys who are flying the HV80 or some variant vs. the more expensive ESC. It may be that motor weight is more of a factor given the greater arm from the CG? What 2m are you planning? Good times!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Jetdesign

So Jeti Spin or Advance? Does it matter, and is 77A what people use or 90?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Joe, there are also the new Futaba (OS), YGE and the Jeti Mezon line (not yet 'out' officially) and some comparatively dirt-cheap HK esc's of dubious provenance, of which I've used a couple in lesser demanding models with excellent results, I must admit grudgingly.

However, with the built-in data logging capability the CC Phoenix Ice line is hard to beat. My only requests of CC is that they'd 1) make them with 12-gauge wires and 2) build the little Castle Link circuit into the ESC itself to make downloading data less cumbersome, and 3) make them available without the heat sinks. I have yet to land a model and find the heat sink temperature anything more than a couple degrees above ambient.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"What are the latest opinions for best ESC with respect to cost, weight, and performance?"

RE cost and performance - I think Castle wins that easily.

RE Weight - make sure you are comparing weights with equal lengths of wiring, or the amount of wiring you will actually be using in your installation. The Castle comes with long wires and it quite easy to save 1 - 1.5 oz with an efficient installation.

RE Motors - dependign on your priorities, the Neu F3A-1 is in the middle of the price range of options you listed, and it is tops for power and torque (and has same gearbox maintenance requirements as Hacker inrunner).

Regards,
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Rune

I have tried the Castle Ice on a Himax 210 and not wery happy with it its making a lots off noise when I go from "brake" to higher throtel..tried to change some settings but only way to get it nice was to set the brake so low that it didnt made any diffrence ..have now OS (futaba) and so fare happy with it no noise and smoth .
so I have one Ice for sale cheap..heheh
Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Jetdesign

I am happy with the ICE controllers. It has taken some time and updates, but everything is working well and smoothly. I am just wondering how the weight compares to other controllers. If I can save .5 oz or more, I will.

The Neu is a good idea. I will have to research mounting it in an Integral without adding extra weight, but if I go that route I will have a backup motor I think (1512 p42). And if there us no weight savings with other controllers, I will have 2 ICE esc.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

I used the 77 Advance Pro for a number of years with my Hacker inrunner... it only draws 64amps at full throttle. With my Pletty Advance I went to the Jeti Spin 99, even though I'm only drawing 72amps I didn't want to take any chances.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Silent-AV8R

It is usually a good idea to have some headroom in the ESC. So like Derek's situation. you are only drawing 72 amps, soa 90 amp ESC is perfect. You do not want to use an ESC that is running at its max rated current load for long.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Jetdesign

That's good advice, AV8R. I was wondering if I'd have enough margin with the 77A ESC. I don't know that the 90A is that big of a weight benefit to the CC ICE 80 to risk trying new equipment.

Any thoughts on where or how to find realistic weights? Has anyone put these things on a scale? The CC spec for the ICE 80 is pretty right-on with the 4.2oz w/ wires.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Joe the best bang for the buck as far as power ease of operation and cost is the Himax 210 and the CC HV80. It's bullet proof. Mike
Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Completely agree with Mike on that setup being bullet proof. Plenty of power as well. Very efficient and easy on packs as well.

Arch
Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
radray

Joe,

That is exactly what I was running in the Rev Pro at Muncie (Himax 210 and CC HV 80), and it is an excellent combination especially if price is an important consideration.

Ray
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 AM
danamania

This set-up is in my 2m Vanquish with a Falcon 20.5x14.5 V2 CF prop and several Masters level pilots have flown it, including through the Masters seq.  No complaints, only compliments.  One can spend more of course, but this will certainly do the job if the airframe is of reasonable weight.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Silent-AV8R

Any thoughts on where or how to find realistic weights? Has anyone put these things on a scale? The CC spec for the ICE 80 is pretty right-on with the 4.2oz w/ wires.
FWIW the OS 100-amp ESC is 4.4 oz (124 gr) with wires. $180 @ Tower. I am leaning towards using this in my next plane with a Neu F3A motor.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Rune

With all respect boys!
I gave up the Ice 80 with the himax 210 ( falcon 20,5x14,5 + 21x14 also Apc 21x14) when I took it over I think it was 37 % brake it was  screaming when I got from brake to higher throtel, I tried diffrent settings some that I found here and tried to change it from that ..no luck.
Have now about 15 flights with the Futaba/Os and seems to work nice!
when I got down from the fig9 in P13 it sound like the plane was getting any damage!
so with the Himax no more Castel maybe I can try it with another motor but at this point I dont see any reason to play with it
Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dana,
May I ask, what does your model weigh?
Chris...
ORIGINAL: danamania

This set-up is in my 2m Vanquish with a Falcon 20.5x14.5 V2 CF prop and several Masters level pilots have flown it, including through the Masters seq. No complaints, only compliments. One can spend more of course, but this will certainly do the job if the airframe is of reasonable weight.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Jetdesign

Sounds like Castle is the winner. I didn't intend on making cost that big of a factor, it really is supposed to be about weight and reliability. That being said, I think the only controller marginally lighter than the Castle is the YGE at $200 more in cost. But, for $200 there is a weight and performance/efficiency gain. Is it worth it? I'll have to work that one out, but the scale is tipping toward the Castle for ease and familiarity.

I'm really want to try not to take risks or chances on this plane. No experiments, only running what people have done successfully in the past on the same airframe.

The Himax is appealing but I am interested in finding an 18oz motor if possible.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:42 PM
danamania

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Dana,
May I ask, what does your model weigh?
Chris...
ORIGINAL: danamania

This set-up is in my 2m Vanquish with a Falcon 20.5x14.5 V2 CF prop and several Masters level pilots have flown it, including through the Masters seq. No complaints, only compliments. One can spend more of course, but this will certainly do the job if the airframe is of reasonable weight.
Sure, I'll ask Joe L. to correct me if I get this wrong as we weighed it last weekend in the breeze on his scale, something like 10 lbs 14 oz? Joe? LOL, I now have 3 pattern planes and no scale!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

FWIW the OS 100-amp ESC is 4.4 oz (124 gr) with wires. $180 @ Tower. I am leaning towards using this in my next plane with a Neu F3A motor.
I've got about 25 flights on mine and if I were to buy another ESC right now this is what I would pick. I also have the YGE 90 and Spin 99. I like the performance of the OS better and it is less expensive.

Jim O
Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Jetdesign

It would be nice if they gave a little more detail about the features of the OS controller/programmer.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:31 AM
radray

To be completely transparent, I did have issues with a brake setting above 40% with the Himax 210 and the CC 80 Ice II, but 40% brake seems to work pretty well for me.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:02 AM
woodie

It would be nice if they gave a little more detail about the features of the OS controller/programmer.
Joe,

Check post #15 of the thread on the Futaba 9100 for manual/info on the controller and available options.

Woodie

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10891227/tm.htm
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Jetdesign

Thanks Woodie - definitely FULLY programmable - they really don't do a good job of illustrating that on Tower/OS Engines website. The weight looks about the same as, or lighter, than the ICE as well - the weight given is with 6mm bullets and Deans plug.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going with the ICE since I have one. Second choice is a gently used Jeti Spin 75.